Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sauce for chicken wings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭Guffy

While on appetisers, anyone familiar with mozzarella sticks and the best way to prepare them, have tried baking them but the cheese always seems to burst out of the casing , hence a gooey mess.Tried not leaving them in as long but then they're soggy/not crispy.... Any other methods ??

Fry them, well I don't make them into sticks but rather cakes so not sure if It would work with sticks. Either that or deep fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

gufc21 wrote: »
    Fry them, well I don't make them into sticks but rather cakes so not sure if It would work with sticks. Either that or deep fry.

Yeah, must try the fry option, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Im in a horrible part of the world that doesn't have Frank's, anyone got a simple recipe that similar?

I guess it's just a lot of tobasco, a drop of vinegar, and some butter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Im in a horrible part of the world that doesn't have Frank's, anyone got a simple recipe that similar?

I guess it's just a lot of tobasco, a drop of vinegar, and some butter?

You can mix a homemade vinegar-based hot sauce. Whisk together 1/3 to 1/2 cup (78 to 118ml) of rice vinegar. Add 1 tbsp. (8.1g) of chili powder, 1/4 tsp. (0.6g) of smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp. (1.2g) of sweet paprika, 1/4 tsp. (1.5g) of salt, 1/2 tsp. (1.2g) of onion powder, 1/2 tsp. (2.4ml) of honey, 1/2 tsp. (1.3g) of cayenne powder and 1 tbsp. (8g) of cornstarch before adding the other ingredients.

Taken from http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Buffalo-Sauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

BenEadir wrote: »
    You can mix a homemade vinegar-based hot sauce. Whisk tgether 1/3 to 1/2 cup (78 to 118ml) of rice vinegar. Add 1 tbsp. (8.1g) of chili powder, 1/4 tsp. (0.6g) of smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp. (1.2g) of sweet paprika, 1/4 tsp. (1.5g) of salt, 1/2 tsp. (1.2g) of onion powder, 1/2 tsp. (2.4ml) of honey, 1/2 tsp. (1.3g) of cayenne powder and 1 tbsp. (8g) of cornstarch before adding the other ingredients.

Taken from http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Buffalo-Sauce

Was thinking of doing them for a party but the guests won't be the most refined eaters, I reckon I'll just do this with the vinegar, chilli and corn starch. Cheers man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭.red.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

I seem to be late to the party but here are a few different things:

Mozzarella Sticks

Cut the cheese into sticks, egg and bread them and then put them into the freezer for at least an hour.

It freezes the cheese enough, so when you deep fry them they won't explode straightaway.

Buffalo Wings

I've given this recipe to Mrs Fox before.

Franks and butter is the base. As Mellor said, it is important to melt the butter before mixing the two together.

This recipe is all about dashes and splashes of this and that, it's all about taste and I have no idea how much of each I put it. It's also a recipe from a bar in New York that has won a number of awards (again, they couldn't give me the exact recipe as they do it by sight and taste)

Melt the butter, add Franks. To this add the following:
    Salt, pepper, celery salt, cayenne, smoked paprika, dried oregano, splash of Worcester sauce, tabassco (I use the garlic infused one) and also sherry.

The most important ingredients are the celery salt, worchester and sherry. They give the sauce a great underlining flavour.

Lemon Pepper Wings

These are a little different. Boil the wings in apple cider vinegar.

When done, toss in a mixture of Franks and lemon pepper seasoning (again quantities are variable depending on taste).

I then BBQ these to crisp up, using apple juice to baste them while they cook. To do this, I use a spray bottle, so the wings are getting a light covering of juice.

Honey Soy Wings

As an Aussie resident, these are the most common wings around. Per kg of wing, use 1/2 cup of soy. 3 tablespoons of honey, one crushed garlic clove.
    Marinate for at least 3 hours, up to 8 hours and cook. I, again, BBQ these but in the grill works fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

In Exile wrote: »

Buffalo Wings

I've given this recipe to Mrs Fox before.

Melt the butter, add Franks. To this add the following:
    Salt, pepper, celery salt, cayenne, smoked paprika, dried oregano, splash of Worcester sauce, tabassco (I use the garlic infused one) and also sherry.

:eek: You left that out when you gave me the recipe. Oooh sneaky you.

Mrs Fox wrote: »

Oops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Brings back memories of a classic Everybody Loves Raymond episode. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

I hate blue cheese so for me it has to be garlic sauce with wings all the way!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    I hate blue cheese so for me it has to be garlic sauce with wings all the way!!!

Oh, I just skip the white sauce altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Just wondering has anyone cooked chicken wings in an air fryer and are they good ?

Brings back memories of a classic Everybody Loves Raymond episode. :)

Do tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Marie gives her daughter-in-law - Deborah, a recipe for a dish that Raymond loves, but omits a key ingredient (oregano, iirc) so it can never turn out as good as the original. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

BrendanD wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone cooked chicken wings in an air fryer and are they good ?

Not sure what you mean by the Air Fryer. I've used an Actifry for wings and they come out great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

squonk wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by the Air Fryer. I've used an Actifry for wings and they come out great.

The Air Fryer is made by Phillips. It uses no oil, I think the ActiFry uses a tbsp or so, right?

I think the air fryer would do a good job, better than the oven imo.

I've had chicken thighs cooked in an air fryer, the skin wasn't crispy as far as I remember. But maybe because it was a wet marinade. Dry rub might produce a crisper skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp dark brown sugar
    1 tbsp smoked paprika
    150 ml water
    50 ml cider vinegar
    150 g tomato ketchup
    2 tsp smoked Tabasco sauce
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Reduce in a saucepan - BBQ sauce

2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp dark brown sugar
    1 tbsp smoked paprika
    150 ml water
    50 ml cider vinegar
    150 g tomato ketchup
    2 tsp smoked Tabasco sauce
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Reduce in a saucepan - BBQ sauce

So reduce in a saucepan for BBQ or with BBQ, Do you add to wings when baked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So reduce in a saucepan for BBQ or with BBQ, Do you add to wings when baked?

It's a BBQ flavour sauce. Use it how you want - it'd work for dipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I used the air fryer to cook some wings tonight and they turned out really well :) nice and crisp (I dried the wings first with kitchen paper )

It's a BBQ flavour sauce. Use it how you want - it'd work for dipping

Sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The air fryer does decent wings, definitely.

Anyone got a recipe for whiskey and chili wings (if it's not self-explanatory)?

Bateman wrote: »
    The air fryer does decent wings, definitely.

Anyone got a recipe for whiskey and chili wings (if it's not self-explanatory)?

I assume you mean a spicy bourbon wing?

2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    2 tablespoon hot sauce (Frank's)
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon honey

Melt the butter, add all the other ingredients, medium heat, whisk and cook intil it starts to bubble. Add salt and pepper
    Reduce heat and stir occasionally, until it starts to thicken.

You can then do one of two things. Baste and cook on a BBQ or in the oven.

In a bag, add flour, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper. Add the wings and shake until they are evenly coated. Spread out on a baking tray, cook in the oven, turning once and then coat in the sauce when done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    Wings are a fatty cut to begin with. They you are tossing then in butter. And dipping then is liberal mix of sour cream, cheese and mayo.
    I honestly don't think deep frying makes a significant difference with wings tbh.
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Yeah, tis kind of like jumping from a 1000 ft high building as opposed to a 500 ft one. Either way the result isn't going to be healthy.
    Deep fat friers are not always "banned" because of the notion they are unhealthy. Some hate the smell and mess and disposing of the oil. I remember growing up loads of people had them in a garage, or outdoor "boiler house" or only used it outside. Though I am guessing that poster did have it banned for health reasons.

You can get mini deep friers which might be more a more attractive option to some.
    BrendanD wrote: »
    I have done them and loved them. I was a philips airfryer, which I think is a misnomer, its really a fast fan oven and I think the "fryer" tag does them no favours at all..
    I've had chicken thighs cooked in an air fryer, the skin wasn't crispy as far as I remember. But maybe because it was a wet marinade. Dry rub might produce a crisper skin.
    Could be the wetness but also the amount. These is a certain amount of heat given out so if you load it up the cook slower. The key to the aifryer is it can blast heat and cook before it dries out.

Advertisement