Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Anti Crime page setup gone downhill

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Cabaal wrote: »
    So people just protest the easy targets then? I thought this was about stopping crime and improving the city?

This is less about crime and more about people singling out a small group of outsiders to blame the city's troubles on,

Suppose it's handy to tar a group of outsiders with the same brush and blame all the problems on them, no need to wait for the gardai and justice system to do its job.

Ah you're probably right. We have criminals here already/ Let's just import more band let them run rampant. Sure what harm will it do? Christ almighty.

Easy know the ones wanting to embrace this haven't been impacted by it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

7upfree wrote: »
    Ah you're probably right. We have criminals here already/ Let's just import more band let them run rampant. Sure what harm will it do? Christ almighty.

So you're fine with the local convicted criminals with a list of convictions as long as your arm but you merely have a problem with the out of town alleged criminals? That's odd.

So now they've run the "riff raff" out when can we can expect protests outside the local criminal element?

After all, I'm sure you'll agree that all "criminals" should be treated the same...regardless of if they are from Waterford or not. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The local problem should have been deal with years ago ,long before it got a foothold in the community and the blame for this is firmly at the feet of the local boys in blue and the court system . Who have let down the people of Waterford badly , and Yes there is a large element of coward-ness involved in not marching against these families and groups. People are more fearful of the consequences of standing up to this local element which giving the history is understanding.but the same coward-ness can be aimed at the local Garda force. From their "you would be better off forgetting the matter " line/advice to Where I have witness on more that one occasion members of an Garda walking away from known family members as they called them every name under the sun.
    Maybe if they and the courts had shown a bit of balls when this was all starting we wouldn't be in this situation today.

As for protests in town ,People seemed to have acted before this gang really got settled and yes an easier target but lets be honest its seems to have worked ,Which reinforces my belief that the local problem should have been deal with years ago and should never have been allow to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

well said rockman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

7upfree wrote: »

Thas not the case, its a completely off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Thas not the case, its a completely off the mark.

How so? I know you and I would normally agree but we seem at odds here.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Cabaal wrote: »
    So people just protest the easy targets then? I thought this was about stopping crime and improving the city?

This is less about crime and more about people singling out a small group of outsiders to blame the city's troubles on,

Suppose it's handy to tar a group of outsiders with the same brush and blame all the problems on them, no need to wait for the gardai and justice system to do its job.

Yes exactly. They just protest the easy targets. Not sure why this is some kind of shock. Obviously people arent gonna protest outside a halting site and expect results.

Nobody's blaming ALL the problems on them just Manor Streets problems. Also how long do you think the people should wait for the so called "Justice System" to their job. 6 months of mugging drunk girls, assaults on locals and pissing on childrens playgrounds not long enough?

Get down off your ****ing high horse and suggest a solution. Oh wait, thats the last thing youll do because you dont have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lavelle123

Yes exactly. They just protest the easy targets. Not sure why this is some kind of shock. Obviously people arent gonna protest outside a halting site and expect results.

Nobody's blaming ALL the problems on them just Manor Streets problems. Also how long do you think the people should wait for the so called "Justice System" to their job. 6 months of mugging drunk girls, assaults on locals and pissing on childrens playgrounds not long enough?

Get down off your ****ing high horse and suggest a solution. Oh wait, thats the last thing youll do because you dont have one.

Digital Spy --- just sent you a PM

On the bright side Manor street has been so quite and peaceful since that protest. All the people that were calling the protest racist can feck right off, they weren't the ones who were scared walking up their street.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

On the bright side Manor street has been so quite and peaceful since that protest. All the people that were calling the protest racist can feck right off, they weren't the ones who were scared walking up their street.

Dont let the truth get in the way of an opportunity for the elite to look down on the peasants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Racist remark removed and cleanup done, if somebody wants to go down the lines of making sweeping ignorant or bigoted remarks towards another race or colour then be warned it will result in a ban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭mollymosfet

The only thing more annoying than racism is the politically correct keyboard warriors who think everyone is a racist.

The fact is, there is a crime gang operating in the city under the protection of people's fears of being called racist.

One girl I work with was always defending them, saying its just just a small monority etc- then they stole her new iphone. She's a changed woman now

Actually, what's annoying is sheltered white Irish people who don't have a clue what the Roma go through, to get here or to survive here, and who balk at the idea that we as a people could be racist against them while simultaneously having an almost universally negative opinion of them, and being continually unashamed of letting people know.

There IS huge amounts of racism against the Roma. The problem with racism nowadays is that it's less honest. It hasn't gone away - it's just adapted, so us "Social Justice Warriors" had to get better at spotting it. People need to understand what's meant when we call something out as racism, and to stop making accusations of racism about you and your image. The fact is, we're all a little bit racist regardless.

The worst thing you can do is sweep away all potential accusations of racism by accusing people of being oversensitive or shielding criminals. IT just shuts down any real discussion(ironic since people often bitch about the same).

Even just for my associations with the Roma community I was threatened with violence if I attended the counter protests. I'm honestly afraid to visit Waterford now, which is a shame since I have friends I want to see.

It wasn't long ago when the Irish were viewed similarly to the Roma, and many of us turned or were coerced into crime too. Making generalisations about the Rromani people and failing to understanding their history(and present) of genocide, slavery, marginalisation and erasure IS racist. The Roma are easily the most persecuted group in Europe and it's time people realised that. When you destroy all opportunities for someone, they're likely going to turn to begging or crime.

If you want to deal with the Roma "problem", then worst to end institutionalised racism, and the trafficking and abuse of Rromani people. It might not be the short term feel good solution your newly racist friend wants but put this in perspective for her - she's upset her phone was stolen. My Roma beggar friend couldn't even afford credit to call her mother in Dublin, let alone a replacement phone when she lost it.

People need to start accepting that their experiences are far removed and they can't be so quick to judge. Or at least stop being ****ing stupid when you're accused of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I have always been upfront about being racist and proud of it. If people dont like it then thats their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Actually, what's annoying is sheltered white Irish people who don't have a clue what the Roma go through, to get here or to survive here, and who balk at the idea that we as a people could be racist against them while simultaneously having an almost universally negative opinion of them, and being continually unashamed of letting people know.

There IS huge amounts of racism against the Roma. The problem with racism nowadays is that it's less honest. It hasn't gone away - it's just adapted, so us "Social Justice Warriors" had to get better at spotting it. People need to understand what's meant when we call something out as racism, and to stop making accusations of racism about you and your image. The fact is, we're all a little bit racist regardless.

The worst thing you can do is sweep away all potential accusations of racism by accusing people of being oversensitive or shielding criminals. IT just shuts down any real discussion(ironic since people often bitch about the same).

Even just for my associations with the Roma community I was threatened with violence if I attended the counter protests. I'm honestly afraid to visit Waterford now, which is a shame since I have friends I want to see.

It wasn't long ago when the Irish were viewed similarly to the Roma, and many of us turned or were coerced into crime too. Making generalisations about the Rromani people and failing to understanding their history(and present) of genocide, slavery, marginalisation and erasure IS racist. The Roma are easily the most persecuted group in Europe and it's time people realised that. When you destroy all opportunities for someone, they're likely going to turn to begging or crime.

If you want to deal with the Roma "problem", then worst to end institutionalised racism, and the trafficking and abuse of Rromani people. It might not be the short term feel good solution your newly racist friend wants but put this in perspective for her - she's upset her phone was stolen. My Roma beggar friend couldn't even afford credit to call her mother in Dublin, let alone a replacement phone when she lost it.

People need to start accepting that their experiences are far removed and they can't be so quick to judge. Or at least stop being ****ing stupid when you're accused of racism.

You sure went through every thread here to make your point, In my day it usually started with " what you lookin' at?"

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

your cough would be softened if attacked by them at night, or mugged by them in broad daylight in the city centre during the shopping frenzy, open your eye's!!!!! everyone is sick of these people with there organised begging, urinating in the streets in full view of women and children, of mugging OAP,s while in what is supposed to be a safe place THE CHURCH while having mass, nobody is out deliberately to persecute these people they bring it on themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I seen one of the biggest contributors on the page making an overtly racist comment against black people on another page recently. Quite disgusting that he gets so many likes and has even said he considers running as an independent candidate.

your cough would be softened if attacked by them at night, or mugged by them in broad daylight in the city centre during the shopping frenzy, open your eye's!!!!! everyone is sick of these people with there organised begging, urinating in the streets in full view of women and children, of mugging OAP,s while in what is supposed to be a safe place THE CHURCH while having mass, nobody is out deliberately to persecute these people they bring it on themselves

This is flat out racism. Searching your post history, you have even posted incitement to violent against the Roma people.

Why is this allowed on this forum?

I have always been upfront about being racist and proud of it. If people dont like it then thats their problem.

No, it's your problem for being an ignorant, sheltered right man unaware of his own lot in the world and continuing to endorse the oppression vulnerable groups face.

Racists are scum. They like to moan about PC, but you're pulling that card here. We shouldn't pander to racists as people with different opinions, we should be calling them sociopaths and terrible, malevolent, evil human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

No, it's your problem for being an ignorant, sheltered right man unaware of his own lot in the world and continuing to endorse the oppression vulnerable groups face.

Racists are scum. They like to moan about PC, but you're pulling that card here. We shouldn't pander to racists as people with different opinions, we should be calling them sociopaths and terrible, malevolent, evil human beings.

jesus,who pissed in your porridge this morning

This is flat out racism. Searching your post history, you have even posted incitement to violent against the Roma people.

Why is this allowed on this forum?

To p1ss off people like you who are spoiling for a tangle, looks to me like you have an opinion and we're all entitled to it.
    Have some more porridge.

• Advertisement

aziz wrote: »
    jesus,who pissed in your porridge this morning

Um, racists assholes?

You idiots know nothing of the history of the Rromani and the persecution they face. I work with Roma people. You are insulting my friends.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    To p1ss off people like you who are spoiling for a tangle, looks to me like you have an opinion and we're all entitled to it.
    Have some more porridge.

Yes, me standing up to racists is rocking the boat, but of course it's okay to be a racist twunt in the first place. That's not rocking the boat, so it's acceptable.

"Hurr I'm only racist to piss you off" <- still racist.

Yes, me standing up to racists is rocking the boat, but of course it's okay to be a racist twunt in the first place. That's not rocking the boat, so it's acceptable.

"Hurr I'm only racist to piss you off" <- still racist.

Nah your an abusive rebel looking for a cause.
    Don't come selling crazy round here Lady we're all stocked up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This thread has clearly served its purpose and has gone into a deeper conversation that is no longer relevant to the Waterford forum. It's a topic that gets heated and is seeing people on both sides of the debate snipe at each other, which isn't how Boards works when it comes to discussions. No side will ever be happy with whatever 'conclusion' is reached to this serious ongoing problem (a problem that is two sided) so I think now is the point to wrap up the discussion as everybody has expressed their opinions, discussed the incidents and original topic while going into further discussions around the subject. Any problems or questions, send me a PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement