Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Anti Crime page setup gone downhill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

When will there be a protest against money lenders drug dealers ? seems though if its a specific ethnic group the people will be up in arms and holding pitchforks, but when its our own people there's a comfortably numb silence about it.

when its our own people nobody gets accused of being a racist and the gardai aren't afraid to act on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Funny - I can think of at least 4 families in and around Waterford that for years now have been terrorizing locals, assaulting and mugging people, giving kids drugs, lending money to vulnerable families then hounding them for 1000% interest and I dont recall any protests to force them out for the good of the neighborhood and yet here we have a 100 strong mob protesting twice in one week and setting up Facebook pages to that affect. I certainly agree that these Roma families should be deported but my God, what about all the other scumbag families who ruin Waterford, no protests for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

Funny - I can think of at least 4 families in and around Waterford that for years now have been terrorizing locals, assaulting and mugging people, giving kids drugs, lending money to vulnerable families then hounding them for 1000% interest and I dont recall any protests to force them out for the good of the neighborhood and yet here we have a 100 strong mob protesting twice in one week and setting up Facebook pages to that affect. I certainly agree that these Roma families should be deported but my God, what about all the other scumbag families who ruin Waterford, no protests for them?

agree 100% well said

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    What about every other criminal behaviour in the City? What about the house that got a petrol bomb thrown in their window causing serious injury? Do we have a mob for these incidents too?

The Gardai carried out a number of raids on their house and charges were pending. The legal system takes time and you need to build a solid case.

The house they attacked was the correct house but there were also people getting the house mixed up and identifying another house which had nothing to do with it.

You see, the problem that most decent people have with this is that we have enough Irish-bred gangs. Do we really need to import more?

mire wrote: »
    When you have this kind of thing going on [marching on certain groups' houses], you know a city is going down the gutter. It's a sad reflection on how far this proud city has gone. Scraping the barrel of respectability. All the defenses offered here are pathetic. It's nothing but nasty and base racism; nothing less, nothing more.

This has happened before. It has historical precedence.

Waterford should be ashamed of this. It's sad and nasty.

When, exactly, has this happened before?

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    I wasn't 'with' the protesters and my question was being directed at 7upfree in relation to the comments made.

You were there, weren't you? I wasn't.:confused:

S.O wrote: »
    Some on facebook have organised a protest for Wednesday to support the Roma, and the funny thing is most of the people listed as attending don,t even live in Waterford-and the fellow who runs the page that called for a protest wednesday doesn,t live in Waterford either in fact he lives in Wexford and is a failed local election candidate who got very little votes a few months ago.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1438334309720496/

Let's see how many turn up. Must get popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

A display Enoch Powell would have been proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

gowon outa it isay....they should be all fcuked on the next plane back to italy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

S.O wrote: »
    Some on facebook have organised a protest for Wednesday to support the Roma, and the funny thing is most of the people listed as attending don,t even live in Waterford-and the fellow who runs the page that called for a protest wednesday doesn,t live in Waterford either in fact he lives in Wexford and is a failed local election candidate who got very little votes a few months ago.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1438334309720496/

I for you will be attending this event in support of the above mentioned. Well done to Seamus for organising

• Advertisement

Gardner wrote: »
    I for you will be attending this event in support of the above mentioned. Well done to Seamus for organising

Seamus who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Mob mentality is a bit medieval but some one has to do something about those folks and the cops don't seem to be doing anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

obezyana wrote: »
    Mob mentality is a bit medieval but some one has to do something about those folks and the cops don't seem to be doing anything about them.

That pathetic display over weekend is not the answer, as someone on here said, there are Irish families here that have a lifetime of crime in this city and no groups are marching to their door. I hope the anti racisim group gets well attended on Wednesday.
    On the radio they were talking about young mothers in their pyjamas with their young kids down there at 11 at night, shouts of burn them out, absolutely disgraceful, and more to the point completly moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Why dont the anti anti supporters instead of paying the usual lip service of organising a march actually do something.

Oh I dont know just off the top of my head.......Something like inviting the displaced roma into your own family homes. THere seems to be stabilize support among you, if each of you take one or two from this group then you can educate them and they can certainly educate you, so it will work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Max Powers wrote: »
    That pathetic display over weekend is not the answer, as someone on here said, there are Irish families here that have a lifetime of crime in this city and no groups are marching to their door. I hope the anti racisim group gets well attended on Wednesday.
    On the radio they were talking about young mothers in their pyjamas with their young kids down there at 11 at night, shouts of burn them out, absolutely disgraceful, and more to the point completly moronic.

we can but hope that there would be arranged marches to the door of the local scumbags...didn't Waterford go through a state of families getting burnt out a few years ago...which ended in diaster

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

we can but hope that there would be arranged marches to the door of the local scumbags...didn't Waterford go through a state of families getting burnt out a few years ago...which ended in diaster

Waterford has more than enough problems to not nip this problem in the bud.

I assume this Seamus chap will be inviting a few Criminals down to Wexford with open arms. If not im sure hell be informed of how much of a hypocrite he is.

Also isnt it funny that most of the people on the Facebook Page arent from Waterford. People coming from Wexford, Cork and Dublin to tell us that we should let these criminals in our already completely ****ed up town.

What political Party is trying for the brownie points this time?

Max Powers wrote: »

Wouldn't agree Max. What's going on down in that neck of the woods and in the centre is unbelievable. I'm surprised it has taken this long really.

Gardner wrote: »

Seamus obviously doesn't live in or near the affected area.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Waterford has more than enough problems to not nip this problem in the bud.

I assume this Seamus chap will be inviting a few Criminals down to Wexford with open arms. If not im sure hell be informed of how much of a hypocrite he is.

Also isnt it funny that most of the people on the Facebook Page arent from Waterford. People coming from Wexford, Cork and Dublin to tell us that we should let these criminals in our already completely ****ed up town.

What political Party is trying for the brownie points this time?

meh...if gaurds seem unwilling to stop the criminality...I will always support people stepping in...
    how many times have you read here and elsewhere that it the same people/families causing the hassle in housing estates with 30+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Christ, it's not the Gardaís fault. It's the Judicial Systems fault. The Gardaí gather the information and bring it before the court, which they do day in and day out. It's when it gets to court it's out of their hands, and usually ends up with a Judge so far removed from reality giving the criminals easy sentences. If there was another prisoner built, and a reform of the Judges, and actually put criminals behind bars for prolonged periods of time, it might deter them. As it stands, the prisons have a revolving door. I see it every day of the week, criminals being sent to prisoner for 2 weeks for non-payment of penal warrants, only to walk out the same day because there's no room. Why would a criminal pay €1000 in fines, if it only takes a day trip and the slate is clean again?

If people really want things to change in this country, not just in Waterford, protests need to be done outside the courts, outside local electives offices, outside the Dáil. This country needs another prison, it needs stronger sentencing, and it needs to show criminals that the easy life is over. But that's all wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

meh...if gaurds seem unwilling to stop the criminality...I will always support people stepping in...
    how many times have you read here and elsewhere that it the same people/families causing the hassle in housing estates with 30+ years

You dont really believe its the guards on the streets fault do you?

Just the other day a woman was killed by a gang of Travellers. Most where out on Bail. Thats not the guards fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

At least people have finally come together and made a stand against these roma criminals which can only be positive. Far too long they have been allowed to terrorise and rob the public with immunity and if caught they reoffend and carry on as before. If the public can force these criminals out by going to their houses then maybe that will put an end to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/10/28/pitchfork-fail/

Kind of discredits the idea that the 'protest' wasn't racially motivated to a large degree

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Kind of discredits the idea that the 'protest' wasn't racially motivated to a large degree

I don't see how. It attributes the reasons for movement and protesting without any reasoning other than the authors flawed logic and apparently pre-conceived notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

It was organized by those who genuinely want to stop criminal activity within the Roma community but racists always show up to these events, which isn't difficult to figure out. I think many lefties ignore this fact so they can dive right in with their superhero complex and defend the oppressed minorities, it makes them feel righteous.

I don't see how. It attributes the reasons for movement and protesting without any reasoning other than the authors flawed logic and apparently pre-conceived notions.
    It was organized by those who genuinely want to stop criminal activity within the Roma community but racists always show up to these events, which isn't difficult to figure out. I think many lefties ignore this fact so they can dive right in with their superhero complex and defend the oppressed minorities, it makes them feel righteous.

You couldn't make it up

So much irony in such few sentences...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

You couldn't make it up

So much irony in such few sentences...

Yeah, defending yourself is being a "superhero".

Superman, Batman, etc were all defending themselves. They never jump in to defend the innocent.

No irony here, just you lacking perception.

Yeah, defending yourself is being a "superhero".

Superman, Batman, etc were all defending themselves. They never jump in to defend the innocent.

No irony here, just you lacking perception.

Sure yeah.. taking kids along to such things, shouting about burning the Roma out of their homes, smashing windows and acting like knuckle draggers is 'defending yourself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Just imagine if someone who started one of the "I'm thinking of moving to Waterford, what's it like as a place" threads sees this stuff; they'd run a mile. Makes the city sound like a vile little hotbed of nasty prejudice and right wing nutjobs.

The city should hang its head in shame; this is stuff you'd read about in Serbia.

• Advertisement

mire wrote: »
    Just imagine if someone who started one of the "I'm thinking of moving to Waterford, what's it like as a place" threads sees this stuff; they'd run a mile. Makes the city sound like a vile little hotbed of nasty prejudice and right wing nutjobs.

The city should hang its head in shame; this is stuff you'd read about in Serbia.

In fairness Waterford is actually years behind. Other cities have generally done the same thing going back decades.

At the end of the day it seems one meeting has cleaned up Manor Street. Wonder how long it will be before another Innocent Bystander or Musician gets chased down the street with Knives and smashed over the head with Bottles by a bunch of Romas who couldn't give a **** about Irish Laws.

Now that people know its all that works your gonna see it a lot more often.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement