Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus Player-Want one?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's been a while since I looked at this, are there any decent alternatives with Ethernet? It's the only thing holding me from buying one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Although I like the idea I can't fathom a purchase as of yet so I'll stick with the loyal Chromecast for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭redmond08

Been using this now for a month and it's brilliant. I've been using it for Netflix, Hulu Plus and Kodi, all work's great. Don't bother with them android boxes from China, they are only dirt. Still not a lot of apps, but more are being added and will be huge soon enough with the likes of Sony using Android TV on their TVs. If you just want it for streaming TV, movie's etc, then this is for you. I haven't tried it for gaming, but I will never use it for that because I have a PS4. Don't worry about not having Ethernet, the WIFI on it is good and I have never had a drop out or any problem with it. Highly recommend buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's not the quality of the wireless, I just don't want a static media player using my wireless at all when I have gigabit Ethernet beside the TV. I want to keep wireless for mobility for all the devices we have that need it. A wireless radio only talks to one device at a time, in one direction at a time so while it's busy talking to a media player it's not talking to our devices and affecting speeds on all wireless devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

redmond08 wrote: »
    Been using this now for a month and it's brilliant. I've been using it for Netflix, Hulu Plus and Kodi, all work's great. Don't bother with them android boxes from China, they are only dirt. Still not a lot of apps, but more are being added and will be huge soon enough with the likes of Sony using Android TV on their TVs. If you just want it for streaming TV, movie's etc, then this is for you. I haven't tried it for gaming, but I will never use it for that because I have a PS4. Don't worry about not having Ethernet, the WIFI on it is good and I have never had a drop out or any problem with it. Highly recommend buying it.

Can you change the DNS within the device itself, unlike having to do it at router level with the Chromecast ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭redmond08

ThisRegard wrote:
    Can you change the DNS within the device itself, unlike having to do it at router level with the Chromecast ?

Yes you can, that's how I do it. It's very easy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

corkie wrote: »
    Nvidia Shield Android TV now available for purchase!

From nvidia

or from amazon.com

Not available through amazon.co.uk yet.

Looks like it has support for 4K Ultra HD content from your favorite apps like Netflix*

Pro version (500gb) will be released on June 12, 2015 which also includes the above promotion + Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Picked one of these up last week in the states. It is an absolute BEAST of a thing. Really amazed at how well Grid works. Will definitely be paying the subscription once they introduce it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

dregin wrote: »
    Picked one of these up last week in the states. It is an absolute BEAST of a thing. Really amazed at how well Grid works. Will definitely be paying the subscription once they introduce it!

The European GRID server is actually in Dublin I believe so pings should be fantastic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

dregin wrote: »

Hey, sorry to drag up an old thread. Could I ask a few questions about your experience with the Shield TV?

How has it been going for you after a few months of using it?
    Are there any issues using it over here? any issues with the power supply etc
    do you use it mainly for streaming ? or games ?
    do you use Kodi on it?

There doesn't seem to be too much info about a release date for the device in European countries.

It does look streets ahead of the new Apple TV though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Narcissus wrote: »
    Hey, sorry to drag up an old thread. Could I ask a few questions about your experience with the Shield TV?

How has it been going for you after a few months of using it?
    Are there any issues using it over here? any issues with the power supply etc
    do you use it mainly for streaming ? or games ?
    do you use Kodi on it?

There doesn't seem to be too much info about a release date for the device in European countries.

It does look streets ahead of the new Apple TV though.

Missed this completely :)

It is easily the best buy I've made this year. Using it for nVidia's game streaming (I'm told they've a DC in Dublin - lag is close to zero), PSP emulation, video streaming (Netflix, plex, torrent stream controller) and everything works perfectly.

I've had no issues with the power supply. It's just a perfect piece of kit. Zero complaints from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I just picked up one of these to replace an Android stick that has given trojan service.
    Funnily enough a big selling point on this for me is the IR receiver, finally able to go back to one remote for everything!
    Really looking forward to it being delivered now and seeing how it runs and trying out GRID

Advertisement