Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Bomb Attack in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

And what will be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fedela

And what will be done about it?

If it's the usual troublemakers who are responsible... then nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

fedela wrote: »
    If it's the usual troublemakers who are responsible... then nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Yet people are told not to take the law into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fedela

Hijpo wrote: »
    Yet people are told not to take the law into their own hands.

It should be the guards jobs!!! But they are useless, a complete disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

fedela wrote: »
    It should be the guards jobs!!! But they are useless, a complete disgrace.

They just blame resources, I'm not saying they are not understaffed I'm saying this is more than likely the reason that will be given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Ever since the prosecution of 4 Garda in Waterford which resulted in 3 convicition's and 2 prison terms being handed down,Waterford Garda have worked to a go slow policy orchestrated by the union rep, this is a payback aimed at Supt Chris Delaney who was responsible for the prosecution's being brought in the first place.The real victims here are innocent people of Waterford who only want to enjoy a basic right of being able to walk the streets in safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its an internal feud/problem, but to hear of injuries to kids is saddening and should not be condoned

Ever since the prosecution of 4 Garda in Waterford which resulted in 3 convicition's and 2 prison terms being handed down,Waterford Garda have worked to a go slow policy orchestrated by the union rep, this is a payback aimed at Supt Chris Delaney who was responsible for the prosecution's being brought in the first place.The real victims here are innocent people of Waterford who only want to enjoy a basic right of being able to walk the streets in safety.

Unfounded speculation ^

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

kryogen wrote: »
    Unfounded speculation ^

No it is based on the fact that on the day of sentencing of the Garda, Supt Delaney had to take a sick day for fear of reprisels.These are the people who are entrusted to maintain law and order.Waterford does not have a good track record with regards to garda going back as far as I can remember and the past twelve months have highlighted the short commings in our national force so much so that for the first time ever the Dept of justice have advertised the position of commissioner world wide and out of the six successful applicants 3 are Civillian and are not from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Seriously do you believe this?,so that guard who rescued 3 people from the quay river when on duty then got knocked down by a scumbag while on duty,he was on a go slow?,get a grip there is a lot of very good guards in that station who are doing their best for the people of Waterford.

• Advertisement

No it is based on the fact that on the day of sentencing of the Garda, Supt Delaney had to take a sick day for fear of reprisels.These are the people who are entrusted to maintain law and order.Waterford does not have a good track record with regards to garda going back as far as I can remember and the past twelve months have highlighted the short commings in our national force so much so that for the first time ever the Dept of justice have advertised the position of commissioner world wide and out of the six successful applicants 3 are Civillian and are not from Ireland.

So....................................................................unfounded speculation.

You may want to vent your anger at other parts of the legal system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Unfounded speculation ^

its true tell yeh, i overheard it in the pub saying his cousins friend told him its a fact:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

no Go-slow policy when it comes to protecting the innocent water meters....

Expect the ARU to be around that area for a while id imagine .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will the people in the locality who know what happened or where witnesses actually speak to the Gardai?

The Gardai can only do so much by themselves.

A Go Slow by the Gardai? Really? I'm glad you threw in the water meter point too btw, it pretty much dissolves all your other points into nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Well, whether or not there is a big internal feud going on, there certainly doesnt seem to be any confidence in the Gardai to prosecute the few families that are causing the damage. Remember all those high profile arrests a few months back with certain family members and criminals being arrested, and then...........................................nothing.

No follow up, no convictions and no updates. I know the law moves slow in this country but its just the same old story. Looks good to the media that they got a few arrests but nothing will change. The judges hand out soft sentences, the scumbags go right back to making everyones lives a misery and so on and so forth :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

There seems to be problems with a certain family in Waterford, money lending, drugs, etc, however many people are aware of how, when and where these people operate - why don't the gardai act ?

There aren't that many Gardai on patrol per shift as far as I am aware and it only takes 1 rotten apple to spoil the barrel.

While I doubt most Gardai are operating on a go slow and from what I have heard and read, at least 1 Garda seems to be acting above and beyond the call of duty, I wouldn't rule out the fact that, at least small minority of Gardai may hold some resentment, over the sucessfull prosecution in the Holland case and this may be causing problems, Gardai are human and that is human nature for some people.

At the time of that particular prosecution, it became common knowledge that Mr Holland was one of many men who claimed to have suffered at the hands on a particular Garda, yet it took Mr Holland's courage and tenacity (and I'm sure it was a very long 2 years) to have this Garda not only imprisoned but also removed from the Garda force. Why weren't the Gardai acting on wrong doing that was happening in front of their eyes, they're not all bad, some are very good but something stopped them acting as they should have done, there is nothing to suggest this has changed. Alan Shatter resigning should be enough proof of this for anybody.

It appears that there was and still is a culture of turning a blind eye at the very least, and /or collsuion at the very worst, within our Garda force and the Garda themselves don't know how to deal with it, but pretending its not happening or supporting people who are pretending its not happening is just doing eveyone a disservice and its baseless too.

This has gotten way out of hand, the Gardai need to get a handle on it, members of the public need to feel the Gardai can be trusted, they need to feel they will be protected, but they don't trust the Gardai and they are terrified a one particular family. If the Gardai don't get on top of this now and use the new legislation brought in to help them prosecute criminal families in Limerick then only the public and some members of the Gardai will suffer. The gangs will benefit and I can't help but wonder if a small number of Gardai are not benefiting from this too.

That 11 year girl acted so bravely, the poor thing, I hope she is alright and she gets all the help and support she'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It does look like its to do with the feuding families. As far as I know the <snip> are one of them

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It does look like its to do with the feuding families. As far as I know the <snip> are one of them

Its an internal thing alright. Going on a long time at this stage

Its an internal thing alright. Going on a long time at this stage

Its hard to see a harmless lady like that be punished for the actions of her family. But I suppose it happens a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ryanf1 wrote: »

You can't go naming names like that.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

What do people mean 'internal' ? Internal to the extended family? Or internal to what?

You can't go naming names like that.

They were interviewed on the Rte news and named in other media outlets, how is that not allowed?

They were interviewed on the Rte news and named in other media outlets, how is that not allowed?

Was thinking the same thing myself seems a bit harsh to get a card for names been in the media already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its a sad day when a grandmother has to keep a fire extinguisher in sitting room , because she's expecting an attack like this to take place .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

What do people mean when they say internal ??? Intra family, intra gang, internal to who???

The general gist that I am hearing (and I have no idea if its true or false) is that a member of the firebombed family, has or is soon to give evidence against a well known criminal family and this was or is an attempt at witness intimidation. It could be aload of rubbish in fairness.

I assume its ok to name the person accused of it?,Liz Reddy just tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/LilyReddy/status/523466422593544192

• Advertisement

What do people mean when they say internal ??? Intra family, intra gang, internal to who???

The general gist that I am hearing (and I have no idea if its true or false) is that a member of the firebombed family, has or is soon to give evidence against a well known criminal family and this was or is an attempt at witness intimidation. It could be aload of rubbish in fairness.

Revenge between families.

Advertisement