Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 9 - "Flatline"

• 17-10-2014 12:00am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jeepers, is it episode 9 already? Never a show to outstay its welcome, that's for sure. Won't be long 'til we hit the finale anyway; this episode feels like the standard 'Doctor-lite' story that we get with each passing year. Here's the official synopsis:
    On the streets of an ordinary council estate, the Doctor and Clara face an alien threat they can barely understand. As the creatures close in, Clara has to take charge of the spiralling situation – while the Doctor struggles with some dimensions that have become a little too relative for comfort.

And the obligatory trailer / clip; the green-screen on the TARDIS door ... isn't great :D

Comments

That was awesome! I loved the effects with the 3d monsters. And another peek at missy. What is the story!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Love no.12s one liners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bloody good episode. Best run of Who in a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

So, our first female doctor. I wasn't as freaked as I thought I might have been. I wonder if it's planned, you know, to get us used to the idea. Do we need to start a thread on this? Does it needs a poll?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I liked that one. Really good episode IMH. Had the lot for me. Well paced, the Doc was cool and Clara rocked it too. The Missy wan actually threw me off at the end. :D

Though one point, the lad's painting in the tunnel he asked Clara to admire and she ignored. Must mean something? Seemed a bit obvious, or am I mad? Don't answer the latter part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I thought it was going to be 3d converted into an escape

But now i think it's to show she was being callous and stuff = more doctory than clara the teacher. Like with the lying. Doctor lies

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Missy wan actually threw me off at the end. :D

And the doctor seems to know something about Clara that we may not have considered too, judging by his look/answer when she said something about being good(don't remember her exact words). He suspects something's off with Clara.

Edit: I remember, 'goodness has nothing to do with it' (the doctor not Clara...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They seem to be running some pseudo-companion story at the moment; Blue, Rigsy, Frank Skinner's character, Disruptive Influence, Robin Hood........every week, there's another one. Wondering if Clara leaves, are they going to bring one back as a proper companion, as the Doctor realizes he's already met the perfect replacement...

(Posted this elsewhere, as easy to repost this about the story) I think it was that Clara was able to disconnect herself from the people she was saving; that she wasn't bothered by the fact loads of people died, but instead was all about defeating the monster without worrying about the cost. That's the Doctor's job; the companion is meant to be the moral compass who reminds him about those who sacrifice themselves. If Clara loses her humanity, can she be a companion in the way he needs one to be?

Really loving the slightly darker tone, Capaldi as the Doc is brilliant, Clara was interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Excellent episode. I always like an episode of Doctor Who that is set in 21st century.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Two good episodes in a row. I liked the topsy turvy nature of both the flatworlders and the Dr/Companion dynamic, each getting an insight into an alien perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Same writer as last week, they should get him to do more. Really enjoyed that, the alien effects were pretty cool. Also 12 finally did his, "I am the Dr, I protect this planet" schtick :)

Same writer as last week, they should get him to do more. Really enjoyed that, the alien effects were pretty cool. Also 12 finally did his, "I am the Dr, I protect this planet" schtick :)

Yes! I was excited we finally got that!

Manach wrote: »
    Two good episodes in a row. I liked the topsy turvy nature of both the flatworlders and the Dr/Companion dynamic, each getting an insight into an alien perspective.

Yeah, this doctor/companion dynamic. It has me a little nervous at this point. Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of 'Tru-Who' on the Horror channel and Dailymotion this last year and it tends to be a given that the companion is the companion and the doctor is this whole other thing, or maybe it's because i'm just old and set in my ways but I could see them walking us right into a female doctor without us realising it. Tonight was a case in point with them playing with the whole dynamic and everyone pretty much just shrugging and paying no attention. I don't really think that they're attempting an 'elephant in the room' scenario at this point though, but if I were wanting to test the waters with a female doctor scenario for some distant future episode then tonight's episode would have been a good start.
    oquOYdF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I think tonight's episode at the end there showed us a proper look at who capaldis doctor really is. Has the same destroyer like abilities as Smith and the whole try to understand them but in the end he is an angry angry man who takes no guff from no-one especially when he feels threatened.

Also hope to Christ that the missy thing isn't going to drag on for too long. Wrap up by seasons end and leave it there would be great but I have a sneaky suspicion it could carry on into the next season a small bit :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Awesome episode IMHO.

We've always known something was up with Clara..from Clara/Oswin the Dalek (even 11 knew something wasn't right…which I'm sure 12 hasn't forgotten) right through to modern Clara getting 11's phone number.

I think though the episode was more about "gluing" her to the Doctor. She was so p*ssed off with him before and now she understands him and his dilemmas a little more having stood temporarily in his shoes.

I tweeted during the episode that this series has had such a run of good potential companions (Little Miss Disruptive Influence and now Riggsy etc). I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't on purpose as well.

As for Missy..I don't know why but my gut instinct keeps pulling me to The Rani. (The timing fits, given the death of Kate O'Mara - it could well be a tip of the hat to have a regenerated Rani become a new villain).

Capaldi rocked the tunnel scene. You could see the fire of some of the past doctors in him..and much of 12's own personality too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm quite taken by the tease of a companion heel-turn, however likely that it may just end up being a bait-and-switch. The last TV one was Turlough, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, really enjoyed this one, was a little surprised when after the Doctor gave his excellent speech at the end and it was like he finally 'became' the Doctor he's going to be, he then slightly turned on Clara and clearly suspects something about her. It really jarred for me after he'd said how well she'd done when he was stuck in the Tardis. Their relationship has never been clear/straightforward, and it looks like it never will be now, whatever is the secret behind Clara will probably be the reason she goes.

I also don't understand why Clara is lying to Danny about still travelling with the Doctor, wasn't there a scene in the last episode where she was talking to Danny on the phone from the Orient Express and he pointed out that just because she was annoyed at the Doctor didn't mean she had to 'break it off' and never see him again (or something like that) as she was viewing the Orient Express as their last trip. So Danny clearly wasn't too upset about the idea of her seeing him more, so why feel the need to lie to him? Either way, looks like he's along for the ride next week, unless that's another descendant of Danny!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Best episode so far, effects were good, performances spot on and the story held interest to the end.
    Missie says "Clara, my Clara. I chose well" Are we to presume Missie cause the leaf to fall? Moffat has some ends to tie up with this Missie thread.
    Oh and the Tardis siege mode, I flashbacked to the Pandorica for a bit before thinking merchandising opportunity.
    Adams Family nod, sledge hammer in handbag, "Don't you dare" and "This realm is protected" Ahhh good stuff.
    This episode could be an example of how to write good Who for writers classes. Pace, humor, drama, tension. Flatline is up their with Blink in my opinion.

To add I forgot to say setting it in Bansky's home town Bristol was nice nod as well. If it's going to be about graffiti....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

"I tried to talk. I want you to remember that. I tried to reach out, I tried to understand you. But I think that you understand us perfectly, and I think you just don't care. And I don't know whether you are here to invade, infiltrate or just replace us. I don't suppose it really matters now. You are monsters. This is the role you seem determined to play. So it seems that I must play mine - the man that stops the monsters! I'm sending you back to your own dimension. Who knows, some of you may even survive the trip. And if you do, remember this - you are not welcome here. This plane is protected. I am The Doctor, and I name you The Boneless."

What a simply awesome speech!! It's moments like that that make me glad to be a Doctor Who fan :D

I'd still like to see less of the 'Sonic Screwdriver coming to the rescue'. It's almost as if the story runs away with the writer and he ends up saying, "bugger it, I'll have to do the Sonic Screwdriver thing again."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I enjoyed that episode quite a bit.

There has been a recurring theme in recent episodes of how cold and callous The Doctor can be, allowing individuals to die without seeming to care, while he figures out the puzzle of the week. And the conflict this has led to with Clara, who seemed to be thinking the new Doctor is a bit heartless.

It seems it was Clara's turn to take the lead role this week, and I thought they would go the obvious route and at the end Clara would come to a realisation that The Doctor has to be cold and callous to sacrifice the few to save the many. I was a bit surprised that she took to the role so well. I think The Doctor was too, which led to the comment about "goodness".

I think the companion is supposed to play the role of The Doctor's conscience, keeping The Doctor in touch with individuals and reminding him how important they are. But what happens when the companion looses their conscience and becomes more like The Doctor?

Could we see The Doctor giving Clara the boot?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I really enjoyed that. The effects were fab. That bit where the sofa got 2D'd, excellent.

I loved the Doctor's little dance after doing the Thing thing with the Tardis. Siege mode Tardis is really pretty. I want one as a paper weight.

I don't think the screwdriver was the Deus ex Machina, the Tardis was. The screwdriver was just the button. Well really it wasn't the Tardis either. It had the capability but not the power, so it really wasn't a lazy solution at all, IMO.

Next week's looks class. Overall I've been quite pleased this series.

Really enjoying PC as the Doctor.

For me he is able to bridge the gap between the older Doctor`s and the new generation. He certainly seems to be channeling a lot of them!

Great episode, especially when it came from nowhere, wasn't expecting it to be so good.

Best episode of te series for me, with last weeks coming in at a close second!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Loved this episode

Thought the design and effects work was excellent for the Boneless, had a very arty almsot foreign film vibe off it

And enjoyed Capaldi getting his "I am The Doctor" moment, it has been worth waiting for and it felt a bigger payoff having learnt a bit about his character than if they had given it to him in his first episode

Still not sold on the Missy arc but I am sure it will all come together eventually but really enjoying Capaldi and the references to previous Doctors and I think part of that is down to the fact that he seems to be really enjoying it too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

'This is embarrassing. I mean, I'm from the race that built the TARDIS. Dimensions are sort of our thing.'

Yet another strong episode, really solid, really enjoyable and satisfying from start to finish. I have to say on balance this series is shaping up stronger than it looked like it would at the start - to the point where for me, it's a case that the strong episodes now outnumber the weaker ones. Into the Dalek and Time Heist have been the only two genuine misfires, although Kill the Moon nearly got there with its silly latter half.

I particularly loved the 'monsters' and their execution, really imaginatively done and super creepy to boot. Although they later became overtly hostile in their 3D form, their initially ambiguous intentions made for an intriguing puzzle and a nice change of pace from the generic 'kill all humans' style alien. I'd certainly hope Jamie Mathieson returns for series 9, as his two efforts have been highly enjoyable. More please. Ditto the director, Douglas Mackinnon, who managed to make the bland, miserable surroundings of Bristol seem exciting and potentially dangerous.

Too many great moments with the Doctor to mention, such as his 'Thing' style escape from the Train, or his happy little dance when he thought he'd succeeded, but you gotta love his belated speech about his role as Earth's defender.

The real star is Clara though, she has grown in leaps and bounds, and her little correction to herself - "no, what would I do?" felt important. Particularly when the Doctor took her down a peg by remarking that "goodness had nothing to do with it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Oi. Bristol isn't miserable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

:D Badly phrased! Just meant the drab rundown parts you usually find around innercity trainyards and the like; never been to Bristol so in no position to judge! Apparently Banksy's from Bristol, so one'd imagine the setting was deliberate, given the nature of the threat :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yet another strong episode, really solid, really enjoyable and satisfying from start to finish. I have to say on balance this series is shaping up stronger than it looked like it would at the start - to the point where for me, it's a case that the strong episodes now outnumber the weaker ones. Into the Dalek and Time Heist have been the only two genuine misfires, although Kill the Moon nearly got there with its silly latter half.

I

Got to agree with you here, this to me now feels like one of the strongest series out of the lot. I've loved 3 of the last 4 episodes, and there's very few periods in nu who I can say that about (if I thought about it there's probably one of the Moffat 2 parters and 1 other good one somewhere :D )

Really, really liked this episode, again it felt like good sci-fi, not just good Who. I really love the episodes that don't just rely on the name value of a villain or a setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Another solid episode.

It's interesting to me (and this is a theory) that the Doctor is now growing very suspicious of Clara. It's starting to show in little bits and pieces, like at the end where he says she was "exceptional, but nothing to do with goodness".

Look at Wilfred (Donna's grandfather), the Doctor grows suspicious of him quite early on and even more so in the End of Time. He realises that just maybe Wilfred is not just a man of coincidence, and despite influencing his past, maybe she is a tool being used against him, ala Amy Pond and River Song.

• Advertisement

Having gone through 8 previous episodes of Capaldi being a stern, aggressive doctor, it was pretty funny to see him act a little daft and silly at his ... handy rescue of the TARDIS; naturally while nobody was around to see him, so his reputation remained intact :D

mzll4ebw0lca3tq6xreb.gif

Advertisement