Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on pension and PRD contributions

Options
  • 17-10-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I'm currently working in the public sector but due to finish soon. At the end, I will have less than 2 years of work behind and I am interested in claiming pension and PRD back.
    My question is if there are any disadvantages in doing so that I could regret down the line?
    I don't think I ll be working in the public sector in the next two years so that won't be a problem.

Would it be more advantageous to claim back just the PRD and don't claim the actual pension contributions since my understanding is that the PRD is just a normal tax while the pension contributions could be useful in the future?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

OP I would definitely claim back the PRD. If you have worked less than 2 years the contribution would be worth feck all. Better get the lump sum now. I work in the public sector and that is what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

yes I plan to claim the PRD for sure but I am still uncertain on the normal pension contributions if perhaps it's better to leave them untouched just in case I do return to the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

If you do return to the public sector you'll have to pay the PRD back with compound interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

pemtca wrote: »
    If you do return to the public sector you'll have to pay the PRD back with compound interest

I was confused on this point actually, I thought i read somewhere that this scenario would apply only if i returned to the public sector within 2 years but I believe I was wrong since i don't see any time frames mentioned after doing a quick google

based on this I will probably leave it untouched

thanks for pointing this out

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

No worries!

• Advertisement
Advertisement