Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breach of privacy by landlord?

Options
  • 17-10-2014 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

My landlord passed on my private mobile number to a third party without my consent for something that I had already told my landlord I would not be allowing. Is this a breach of privacy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Might depend on who he passed the number to.

Did he pass it to the elcectrician/plumber/gas company/electric supplier/water supply co. incase they needed to contact you re a fault or update on their gear.

In any case the LL should have sought your permission first if you told him not to pass the number to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 big.bird84

No. He passed it to an auctioneer to try and talk me into allowing a viewing of my house (he's trying to sell) after I explicitly and repeatedly told him the night before that I would not allow any viewings while I live in the house. I have the voicemail from the auctioneer stating he gave her my number and her trying to talk me into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Is it not pretty standard to allow some viewings?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

big.bird84 wrote: »
    No. He passed it to an auctioneer to try and talk me into allowing a viewing of my house (he's trying to sell) after I explicitly and repeatedly told him the night before that I would not allow any viewings while I live in the house. I have the voicemail from the auctioneer stating he gave her my number and her trying to talk me into it.

Have you got something against this LL previous to what happened with your phone number.

I don't see why you would not allow pre arranged viewings.

Not if the tenant doesn't agree but that's not the issue here. Did he breach the terms of our lease by giving my private information to a third party without my consent?

• Advertisement

Ok, the topic seems to have gotten lost here. Is he legally allowed to give out my phone number to people without my consent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Yes, people pass on phone numbers every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

It's not your house, it belongs to the landlord.

If you aren dispute with the ll, lodge it with the PRTB.

In my opinion, you should allow viewings but only at times/dates convenient to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

garhjw wrote: »
    It's not your house, it belongs to the landlord.

If you aren dispute with the ll, lodge it with the PRTB.

In my opinion, you should allow viewings but only at times/dates convenient to you.

He's correct in that this isn't the issue here, and that he's perfectly entitled to refuse to allow viewings.

OP I'd be annoyed too, but I don't think that he has done anything illegal here. Just ignore the voicemail and block the auctioneer's number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Ok, the topic seems to have gotten lost here. Is he legally allowed to give out my phone number to people without my consent?

Only if their is a clause in the lease expressly stating that he will not pass your phone number on to a third party without your consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭D3sperado

You would probably have an avenue of complaint to the data protection commissioner as the Landlord would be a data controller of your personal data and if he disclosed this to a third party without telling you about it then it could conceivably fall outside the requirement of "fair processing" under the DP Acts (unless all of this had been explained to you or it was addressed in the lease).

Whether its actually worth the hassle of submitting a complaint is a separate issue, given that the most that would happen is a slap on the wrist to say not to do it again.

zetalambda wrote:
    Only if their is a clause in the lease expressly stating that he will not pass your phone number on to a third party without your consent.

That's fine. Thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

big.bird84 wrote:
    I explicitly and repeatedly told him the night before that I would not allow any viewings while I live in the house. I have the voicemail from the auctioneer stating he gave her my number and her trying to talk me into it.

You stated you didn't want any viewings but did not mention anything regarding your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You're right he shouldn't have given out your number but you are mad! If your landlord needs to sell you have two options, go along with it and help him or if you are on part 4 tennency he'll break the lease to sell the house empty - best start looking got a new house and do you need a reference from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

No, not to third parties. Landlord is a business and is a data controller, as such giving out your number is a breech and can be reported.

People are fully entitled to enjoy the privacy of their own home and are under no obligation whatsoever to allow viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

D3sperado wrote: »
    You would probably have an avenue of complaint to the data protection commissioner as the Landlord would be a data controller of your personal data and if he disclosed this to a third party without telling you about it then it could conceivably fall outside the requirement of "fair processing" under the DP Acts (unless all of this had been explained to you or it was addressed in the lease).

Whether its actually worth the hassle of submitting a complaint is a separate issue, given that the most that would happen is a slap on the wrist to say not to do it again.

This.

Whether it's worth complaining or not, I'm not sure. If you have a car parked outside the house, then I think that anyone can get your details by paying for a lookup of the registration. (Mmm ... have i heard about this in Ireland, or was it only at home .. I'm not sure. But there are various ways that a cunning agent could get your number.)

And if your phone has a facility to block numbers, then you've got a very simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

zetalambda wrote: »

Which laws have you considered in your assessment?

I agree with other posters regarding data protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

D3sperado wrote: »

If the Estate Agent is acting as a agent of the landlord there is no data protection breech.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Sounds like you don't wana move out. Good luck with that.

Fkall wrote: »
    If the Estate Agent is acting as a agent of the landlord there is no data protection breech.

Maybe or maybe not, depends on a number of things.

Under Principle 1, fairness requires that the data subject be made aware of the persons or categories of persons to whom the data may be disclosed.

Was he made aware that his data be be disclosed to a third party estate agent?

There there a written contract between the estate agent and the LL specifying that they may only act on the LL's instructions and that they must have appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to protect the data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Maybe or maybe not, depends on a number of things.

Under Principle 1, fairness requires that the data subject be made aware of the persons or categories of persons to whom the data may be disclosed.

Was he made aware that his data be be disclosed to a third party estate agent?

There there a written contract between the estate agent and the LL specifying that they may only act on the LL's instructions and that they must have appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to protect the data?

Principle 1: the landlord informed the op before passing on his details.

Are you suggesting that the a tenant has a single right of audience with the landlord.

Fkall wrote: »
    Principle 1: the landlord informed the op before passing on his details.

Are you suggesting that the a tenant has a single right of audience with the landlord.

Do we know that he was told before the phone number was passed on, I can't recall that in the thread (but I may have missed that.)

Either way the Principle 1 notice should be given before or while the data is being collected. So if the landlord had the data for any amount of time, then he cannot change the fairness notice just like that.

For some reason I got a warning for genuinely thanking another poster for their opinion. Am I missing something? Are ya not allowed to be nice on here or is that classed as uncivil?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I wouldn't fancy the idea of allowing a bunch of strangers to enter my apartment and looking around in my private space.

I wouldn't conform to this either, not a chance. When my lease is up and I'm gone, then the landlord can send whoever he/she likes to view the apartment. Why would anyone want to allow strangers roam around in their private apartment-space.

I wouldn't fancy the idea of allowing a bunch of strangers to enter my apartment and looking around in my private space.

I wouldn't conform to this either, not a chance. When my lease is up and I'm gone, then the landlord can send whoever he/she likes to view the apartment. Why would anyone want to allow strangers roam around in their private apartment-space.

Thank you. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't understand this is exactly the way I feel about it! This is my home, which I pay for every month, and I don't allow anyone I don't want into it. I did for months and now I've had enough so I've put a stop to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Thank you. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't understand this is exactly the way I feel about it! This is my home, which I pay for every month, and I don't allow anyone I don't want into it. I did for months and now I've had enough so I've put a stop to it.

It's all up to you as a paying tenant regarding who you want to allow into your abode, because it is your abode as long as you are living there and paying rent. If you do not want strangers to enter your abode, then you are entitled to decline the viewing any-time you so wish.

Also, know your rights as a tenant. Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

He's correct in that this isn't the issue here, and that he's perfectly entitled to refuse to allow viewings.

OP I'd be annoyed too, but I don't think that he has done anything illegal here. Just ignore the voicemail and block the auctioneer's number.

I thanked you yesterday and got a warning for it (?!) so I'll say it again. Thanks for your help :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

For some reason I got a warning for genuinely thanking another poster for their opinion. Am I missing something? Are ya not allowed to be nice on here or is that classed as uncivil?!
    I thanked you yesterday and got a warning for it (?!) so I'll say it again. Thanks for your help :-)

It is against the charter to discuss moderation on thread...if you have an issue contact the Mod in question.

Advertisement