Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut-purse Row

Options
  • 17-10-2014 7:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Where exactly was Cut-purse Row? It seems to have been somewhere between Cornmarket and Bridge Street, with a big prison at one end. But where? Is it a street now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Hello Qualitymark,

I was told that the area from the junction of Francis Street and Cornmarket heading towards Christ Church as far as the junction with Back Lane was Cut Purse. It now forms part of Cornmarket.

The prison you refer to was the Old Newgate Gaol. Part of the wall of the prison (also the city wall) still stands on Back Lane. The direction on the wall is marked on the pavement across Cornmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Where exactly was Cut-purse Row? It seems to have been somewhere between Cornmarket and Bridge Street, with a big prison at one end. But where? Is it a street now?

From Thom's Irish Almanac it seems to be what is now High Street? I guess it was widened considerably by the wide-street commission who also felt some rebranding was in order ;)

Was only 15' wide back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

enda1 wrote: »
    From Thom's Irish Almanac it seems to be what is now High Street? I guess it was widened considerably by the wide-street commission who also felt some rebranding was in order ;)

Bet the cutpurses objected!

It's just around the corner from Hell, then?

Hownowcow wrote: »
    Hello Qualitymark,

I was told that the area from the junction of Francis Street and Cornmarket heading towards Christ Church as far as the junction with Back Lane was Cut Purse. It now forms part of Cornmarket.

The prison you refer to was the Old Newgate Gaol. Part of the wall of the prison (also the city wall) still stands on Back Lane. The direction on the wall is marked on the pavement across Cornmarket.

I think you're right all right.
    enda1 wrote: »

If you look at the 25" map from the OSI's historic section, you can see the old gaol mentioned!

KrJ3Qdo.png

Also from the Historic 6" it looks like what is now St. Augustine street was New Row.
    Can anyone read that better?

• Advertisement

OK, another couple of images which should help :P

wsc-maps-106-1.preview.jpg

And (be careful to notice that this one is orientated in South!)

wsc-maps-395-3-front.preview.jpg

Search for cutpurse (one word) on http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/ to find many images of it.

And here's one of the actual cutpurses:

john-selman2.jpg

Hm, now there's another: "New Brighton" in Monkstown…?

Advertisement