Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to pay water charge

Options
  • 17-10-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently began renting a house and the landlord says that he will pay the water charge. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any ideas as to why he's doing that? I have found out that he's not registered with the PRTB.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

the PRTB charge is a Tenancy Registration charge and is not an annual payment. It only becomes applicable on commencement of a new tenancy; where there's a material change in the tenancy, and also I believe once the tenancy hits 4 years duration, re-registration is required.

Seems strange that he'd be paying the water charge. Could be that rental income is not being declared to Revenue and/or he isn't paying property tax and/or he doesn't want the bank to know about the tenancy (if he is on a tracker rate and doesn't want to lose same).

All of the above would be playing with fire though.

You still maintain all of your rights whether your tenancy is registered with the PRTB or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

He is definitely up to something dodgy. Not paying income tax is more likely to tracker and he is possibly doing it in more than one property

I would demand an extra 100-200 quid off my rent for the 'risk'. And you know have the ability to avoid all future increases

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

gypsy79 wrote: »
    He is definitely up to something dodgy. Not paying income tax is more likely to tracker and he is possibly doing it in more than one property

I would demand an extra 100-200 quid off my rent for the 'risk'. And you know have the ability to avoid all future increases

What's the "risk" to me? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know).

There isnt really any but you are aiding tax evasion.

You will also not be able to claim the new tax credit

dukedalton wrote: »
    What's the "risk" to me? (I'm asking because I honestly don't know).

Next to no risk. Your rights are protected under statute.

good luck making demands (backed by threats) for getting €200 off your rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

demanding 200 less rent ? Get real !!! I'd kick you out if you made such a demand.

If it's registered or not it has no affect on you as your rights are the same.

Let him pay for it, saves you the hassle.

There isnt really any but you are aiding tax evasion.
    No he's not and you don't know that tax evasion is going on.
    You will also not be able to claim the new tax credit

Yes he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Op are you sure your ll is not just registering the account in their name and charging you when the bill arrives?

the tax credit for water charges ? How can the renter claim tax relief for water charges when they are not paying it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Hes pretending the property is his PPR. Now thus could be worth thousands to him. You have him by the balls so I'd demand a huge amount off your rent or you'll send letters to revenue and every bank in the country.

• Advertisement

Op are you sure your ll is not just registering the account in their name and charging you when the bill arrives?

No, he specifically said he'd pay it (so long as it wasn't exorbitantly high). Having said that, it was a verbal agreement and wasn't written into the contract as such.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Hes pretending the property is his PPR. Now thus could be worth thousands to him. You have him by the balls so I'd demand a huge amount off your rent or you'll send letters to revenue and every bank in the country.

Some big assumptions in that statement. Thousands ? What a joke. Sure might as well let the OP rent for free.

Haha, I appreciate the advice but I don't really want to start a war! I'm happy with the house; I just want to know if what he's up to will have any material impact on my tenancy :)

No, he specifically said he'd pay it (so long as it wasn't exorbitantly high). Having said that, it was a verbal agreement and wasn't written into the contract as such.

What does the contract say about water charges?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Haha, I appreciate the advice but I don't really want to start a war! I'm happy with the house; I just want to know if what he's up to will have any material impact on my tenancy :)

Do it for society. I'm sick of these lads miking it and not paying tax. The fact that water is linked to your PPS tells you everything. I'm making no assumptions as there is no other logical reason that a person would pay another's water charges.

What does the contract say about water charges?

The contract says the tenant is responsible for all utilities bills. So, as I understand it, I'm legally liable for it. Yet before we moved in he offered to pay it and he took the registration pack from Irish Water when it arrived.

Do it for society. I'm sick of these lads miking it and not paying tax. The fact that water is linked to your PPS tells you everything. I'm making no assumptions as there is no other logical reason that a person would pay another's water charges.

What do you mean, water is linked to your PPS?

The contract says the tenant is responsible for all utilities bills. So, as I understand it, I'm legally liable for it. Yet before we moved in he offered to pay it and he took the registration pack from Irish Water when it arrived.

I'm guessing you just misunderstood him either when you took the house ( water is included in bill) or at your last conversation and the ll is just registering the property in his name and will be sending you the bill to pay.

I'm guessing you just misunderstood him either when you took the house ( water is included in bill) or at your last conversation and the ll is just registering the property in his name and will be sending you the bill to pay.

He was quite clear that he would pay the water charge. Just find it strange that I'm paying for all the other bills (as expected) but he wants to pay this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jes I wouldn't see why you have a problem with it, just let him pay if he wants.. PRTB is useless I have to say not sure why they are there

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    You're renting from someone who seems to be going out of their way to avoid their legal obligations. You're putting a lot of faith in them still being an upstanding landlord despite this.

You are making a big jump there based on no evidence.

I'm making a big jump based on plenty of anecdotal evidence.

Google defines anecdotal

adjective

(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

"while there was much anecdotal evidence there was little hard fact"

You're renting from someone who seems to be going out of their way to avoid their legal obligations. You're putting a lot of faith in them still being an upstanding landlord despite this.

I'm not putting faith in anybody. Just asking the question.

cagefactor wrote: »
    demanding 200 less rent ? Get real !!! I'd kick you out if you made such a demand.

If it's registered or not it has no affect on you as your rights are the same.

Let him pay for it, saves you the hassle.

And I would love it when you tried. ABSOLUTELY love it

He wouldnt be paying it if he wasnt avoiding income tax. He is thieving from me by not paying 50%+ income tax to MY state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

if he wants to pay the water
    let him
    i wish someone would pay my bills

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

What a scumbag suggestion, you dont know the LL circumstances

if he wants to pay the water
    let him
    i wish someone would pay my bills

Exactly, say nothing op, if your happy with the arrangements between yourself and your LL I cant see why your bothered, your fairly well protected whatever your LL is up to ( which is probably nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This in the country by any chance?

whupdedo wrote: »
    What a scumbag suggestion, you dont know the LL circumstances

Exactly, say nothing op, if your happy with the arrangements between yourself and your LL I cant see why your bothered, your fairly well protected whatever your LL is up to ( which is probably nothing)

Which is most likely income tax avoidance.

Are you at it too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Which is most likely income tax avoidance.

Are you at it too?

Every single chance I get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

My landlord is doing something similar, I don't see him much but get on well with him.
    I was talking to him a few days ago I told him I never received the pack.
    He just said that he filled it out, implying that he filled his own details.

If he tries to charge me for his bill, I'll just tell him I want to transfer it over to my name.

Advertisement