Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to pay water charge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Will leases have to be amended to provide for mention of water as a utility?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Will leases have to be amended to provide for mention of water as a utility?

Doubt it I used to have to cross them out of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I havn't got Water-Pack, does that likely mean my Landlord got it "for me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

dukedalton wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently began renting a house and the landlord says that he will pay the water charge. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any ideas as to why he's doing that? I have found out that he's not registered with the PRTB.

Thanks

It can take a while for the PRTB registration to be processed so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on that front. Also I wouldn't have a problem if someone offered to pay my bills for me - are you really worried because you can't claim back 20% of an amount you haven't paid? well I'm no maths genius but pretty sure that 20% of nothing is em...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

It can take a while for the PRTB registration to be processed so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on that front. Also I wouldn't have a problem if someone offered to pay my bills for me - are you really worried because you can't claim back 20% of an amount you haven't paid? well I'm no maths genius but pretty sure that 20% of nothing is em...

If/when you read my opening post you will see I didn't say anything about claiming anything back. Just thought the situation was odd and was asking if others could offer any suggestions. Thanks for your response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i used to pay the bin collection on a rental simply because tenants regularly let it lapse before moving out. they also used to complain of rats... that ofc were caused by the rubbish they piled in the garden... genius.

the amount of back and forth confusion with IW would confuse any LL. maybe hes thinking of avoiding the hassle caused by a tenant deciding to "protest" the charge... its small potatoes to get it sorted right day one for a legitimate landlord.

in 12 months time you can bet the rental market will have corrected upwards to add this charge into every single tenancy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Sounds to me that he just added it in as bonus to help seal the deal. Fair play to him. Enjoy your long showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

yankinlk wrote: »
    ...maybe hes thinking of avoiding the hassle caused by a tenant deciding to "protest" the charge...
    Maybe he's a militant freeman type and is refusing to sign up with Irish Water and making sure his tenant doesn't either. Really, we have no idea what the motive of the OP's landlord is, it's all just speculation based on very little evidence.
    in 12 months time you can bet the rental market will have corrected upwards to add this charge into every single tenancy out there.
    Most landlords are just going to go with the default of leaving it as a utility paid by the tenant and it won't impact rents at all.

xper wrote: »

Most landlords are just going to go with the default of leaving it as a utility paid by the tenant and it won't impact rents at all.

i hope thats the case actually... as rents are set to rise anyway. but seeing as its still october and we have no idea yet how iw is doing with registrations it may be too soon to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some LLs pay for bins, internet/TV, too, for reasons best known to themselves. Ours not to reason why, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

OP are all the other bills in your name or his name?

m'lady wrote: »
    OP are all the other bills in your name or his name?

Everything else is in my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Is it not possible that the Landlord is just a nice guy rewarding a good tenant by helping him out with his water bill?

My Landlord delivered me a trailer full of wood one year free of charge. I was delighted! Yet the reaction here of a LL helping out a tenant is one of immediate suspicion. This surprises me.

Are Landlords and tenants automatically assumed to be either side of a social divide? Isn't renting a property ever just considered a business arrangement between two parties that is to the benefit of both parties?

Not on this forum it seems. Here it seems like a perpetual state of war where any act of kindness has to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Is it not possible that the Landlord is just a nice guy rewarding a good tenant by helping him out with his water bill?

My Landlord delivered me a trailer full of wood one year free of charge. I was delighted! Yet the reaction here of a LL helping out a tenant is one of immediate suspicion. This surprises me.

Are Landlords and tenants automatically assumed to be either side of a social divide? Isn't renting a property ever just considered a business arrangement between two parties that is to the benefit of both parties?

Not on this forum it seems. Here it seems like a perpetual state of war where any act of kindness has to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

And anyone posting here about with tales of woe stemming from an assumption of a landlord's "goodwill" will be met with howls of derision and smug declarations that their naivity and gullibility means they "got what they deserve."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

The followers of this forum are a mixture of Landlords and Tenants.

Every time a Landlord posts a message about a troublesome tenant, some Landlords pitch in with aggressive suggestions up to and including metaphorically lynching the tenant and hanging him from a tree

Every time a tenant posts about harassment from a Landlord, the tenants want to organise a posse and get the Sheriff to lock the Landlord up for everyone's good.

I think that showing some understanding of each others point of view might be a needed breath of fresh air in here.

"Don't look a Gift-Horse in the Mouth" is my opinion.

Accept the gift of free water for what it is: a gift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

gypsy79 wrote: »
    He is definitely up to something dodgy. Not paying income tax is more likely to tracker and he is possibly doing it in more than one property

I would demand an extra 100-200 quid off my rent for the 'risk'. And you know have the ability to avoid all future increases

Best of luck with that...You'll be looking for a new place to rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Doom wrote: »
    Best of luck with that...You'll be looking for a new place to rent.

The landlord has no power to evict a tenant that wants to stay. A tax dodging landlord even less so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Beaner1 wrote: »
    The landlord has no power to evict a tenant that wants to stay. A tax dodging landlord even less so.

In the 1st six months...yes they do.

Doom wrote: »
    In the 1st six months...yes they do.

A tiny minority are let without a fixed term lease so that doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about landlords.

The landlord may be happy with the amount he is gettingin rent and The landlord may be claiming the water charge as an expense and writing it off Againest the Tax that he is paying.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about landlords.

The landlord may be happy with the amount he is gettingin rent and The landlord may be claiming the water charge as an expense and writing it off Againest the Tax that he is paying.

Again that is illegal as it is not a legitimate expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Let the landlords here TRY convince us that this guy is not dodging tax. I, myself, am 99% certain that he is.

That is a CRIME and is stealing from all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Should such landlord be reported so? I m not talking about this particular situation but in general-would you report your landlord knowing he/she isnt paying the tax?

uli84 wrote: »
    Should such landlord be reported so? I m not talking about this particular situation but in general-would you report your landlord knowing he/she isnt paying the tax?

Yes, always. If I was going to help him evade tax then I'd make sure I got a much better cut of it.

Sorry you have just lost all credibility, and being found to be talking rubbish.

From revenue:
    The following are examples of expenditure you may deduct when calculating your rental income or losses. As advised in the introduction, a separate calculation must be made for each letting.

the cost of any service or goods you provide and for which you do not receive separate payment from your tenant, e.g. gas, electricity, central heating, telephone rental, cable television, water and refuse collection.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section7

ted1 wrote: »
    Sorry you have just lost all credibility, and being found to be talking rubbish.

From revenue:
    The following are examples of expenditure you may deduct when calculating your rental income or losses. As advised in the introduction, a separate calculation must be made for each letting.

the cost of any service or goods you provide and for which you do not receive separate payment from your tenant, e.g. gas, electricity, central heating, telephone rental, cable television, water and refuse collection.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section7

You can't claim relief for something that already has a tax credit.

You can't claim relief for something that already has a tax credit.

You don't claim the tax credit on a rental, you claim the entire payment. You claim the tax credit on your own charges, not on those for the rental property.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Let the landlords here TRY convince us that this guy is not dodging tax. I, myself, am 99% certain that he is.

That is a CRIME and is stealing from all of us.

As I already stated... read my post.

Any professional Landlord that felt their tenants might decide to stage a protest, by not registering for Irish Water charges... may simply decide, for the first registration with Irish Water - it makes sense to bite the bullet and handle the registration and first years payment. As i said, its a drop in the ocean (pun intended) as far as costs go.

After that, when they establish registration with IW, they can assign the property to a tenant OR just raise the rent to cover the charge.

It really is pretty simple. There must be a large amount of Landlords that are worried about Tenants feeling entitled to fight the charge - heck i think they should have the right too. But a Landlord won't want the hassle.

Advertisement