Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bicycle cameras

Options
  • 17-10-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi. Could anybody recommend a bicycle camera that I could use for commuting to work? Looking for something that is of reasonably good quality but that isn't overly expensive.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Latest GoPro is 125 quid, image quality is fantastic and they're widely available in bricks and morter shops. Gets my thumbs up anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there is the counrour roam
    Sony AS100V

there are cheaper options that do a good job too

check out http://www.techmoan.com/
    and his youtube channel for options on the cheaper end

I recently bought a sj4000 action camera that comes with a bicycle mount on his recommendation

have a look at the mobius too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

There have been a few threads on this before. As sheesh says check techmoan as he has reviewed most of the cheap cameras, I've the sj1000 and its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Battery life on the gopro is very bad, I wouldnt recommend

Any that would double as a dashcam?

I like the size of these but they are pricey:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-sport-camera-cm-1000/

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    Battery life on the gopro is very bad, I wouldnt recommend

I have the new one, and find it great? Is this on the new gopro? 2+ hours is about as good as it gets with a lot of these cams. The SJ4000 is only about an hour, although it has cheap replaceable batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Thanks. Looking for a waterproof camera that doesn't need batteries but can be charged.

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Thanks. Looking for a waterproof camera that doesn't need batteries but can be charged.

All of these cameras come with rechargeable batteries, so no worries there. Where do you want to mount this camera? On your helmet? Or on the handlebars? I have mine facing backwards on my seat post at the moment:

The likes of the contour roam2 are better for helmet mounting as they are a better shape imo.

All of these cameras come with rechargeable batteries, so no worries there. Where do you want to mount this camera? On your helmet? Or on the handlebars? I have mine facing backwards on my seat post at the moment:

The likes of the contour roam2 are better for helmet mounting as they are a better shape imo.

Backwards? Is this better than a forward looking camera?

ronoc wrote: »

Just put it there for the laugh really...not better or worse, just a different perspective I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

ronoc wrote: »

Had PC on mute and thought you were doing a fair old pace until I un-muted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Mobius is meant to be good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M tech moan review here

and buy a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRDcMYcFSo0 case for it

obviously a gopro, contour and Sony AS100V would be the proper ones to get but look at the alternatives

most of the ones that have a removable battery can be charged by usb too so have basically the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've got a Garmin VIRB. Good quality video, decent battery life, takes ages to charge via USB. I'm thinking of getting a battery charger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

sheesh wrote: »
    Mobius is meant to be good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M tech moan review here

and buy a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRDcMYcFSo0 case for it

obviously a gopro, contour and Sony AS100V would be the proper ones to get but look at the alternatives

most of the ones that have a removable battery can be charged by usb too so have basically the same

The mobius is very good. The software/GUI with it is excellent.

Battery is about 1 hour and 10 mins though. But USB charged. Handy for a short(ish) commute.

You can set it up as "two" cameras. For example, one for on your helmet or in mode two, as a dash cam, flip the recording mode to 180 degrees.

There are a lot of settings, another being "low light"

I put a strip of velcro on my helmet and then glued small pieces to the base of the mobius. It attaches and comes off really easily. Well attached but I don't know how it would fair out in a serious tumble, and I hope never to do so.

Settings pic for an old version. The firmware is now 2.18 but it gives you a good example of the settings.

61893-util.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I've got a Garmin VIRB. Good quality video, decent battery life, takes ages to charge via USB. I'm thinking of getting a battery charger for it.

How long does the battery last and how long to charge it? Is it waterproof? Anyone know how much the Virb (not Elite model) is and who sells it in Ireland? Read recently the price had dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Latest GoPro is 125 quid, image quality is fantastic and they're widely available in bricks and morter shops. Gets my thumbs up anyway!
    Is that the GoPro Hero? Good enough to read number plates on a bar mount (I'm willing to that guy, just not that guy)? I'm feeling the need to start reporting a few nobhead taxi drivers!

Also, I'd like one to take off road, and on cycle adventures with the kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 racerman07

if you looking for basic cam. there is one in 2 euro shop for 15 euro. its not perfect but is ok.
    i brought same one for 100 euro in shop 4 years ago. also last week i got a zing cam for 26 euro in argos.
    very easy buttons ect to use on bike and i find ok, these options if not looking spend lot money and not looking for hd video.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I got an SJ4000 based on the techmoan Review. It came with a bazillion mounts and fully waterproof case, three batteries, and a standalone battery charger for about €75/€80. Have to get your own SD card. Battery life is about 2 hours, but the quality is great, and gets clear license plate numbers from a good distance away. It also has a tripod screw mount in the base, and you can get a sucker for your windscreen with the relevant part on it. It will record loop and charge at the same time. Quality in the car is also excellent.
    I bought a Fly6 a while ago, or as my friends call it Arsecam(Tm). I use them more for visual deterrent on my commute, and videoing the nippers when we are out and about. I have so far (touchwood) not used them to report anyone, though it would be easy to lose the plot and spend all day e-mailing the guards, or posting to Youtube the amount of stoopid stuff going on the roads every time you are out. Unless you want to be a visual-anti.
    If you are looking to make your night commute safer, think about investing in a good light set first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I got an SJ4000 based on the techmoan Review. It came with a bazillion mounts and fully waterproof case, three batteries, and a standalone battery charger for about €75/€80. Have to get your own SD card. Battery life is about 2 hours, but the quality is great, and gets clear license plate numbers from a good distance away. It also has a tripod screw mount in the base, and you can get a sucker for your windscreen with the relevant part on it. It will record loop and charge at the same time. Quality in the car is also excellent.
    I bought a Fly6 a while ago, or as my friends call it Arsecam(Tm). I use them more for visual deterrent on my commute, and videoing the nippers when we are out and about. I have so far (touchwood) not used them to report anyone, though it would be easy to lose the plot and spend all day e-mailing the guards, or posting to Youtube the amount of stoopid stuff going on the roads every time you are out. Unless you want to be a visual-anti.
    If you are looking to make your night commute safer, think about investing in a good light set first though.

Arsecam. That's a good one.

Hi,

My bullet cam is having problems with battey life now. It is about2 years old. I got it on anmzon for about €55. Any idea what I could get for around the same price. I only like bulletcam style. THe one I have is Sport DV 1080P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I have a VIRB too and am a fan. Got it on sportpursuit.com for around €70/80 I think as someone on boards posted a discount code a while back when it was on sale. It pops up there from time to time so keep an eye out. Granted it didn't include bike mount for handlebars or memory card!! Battery life I think might be couple of hours so I just leave it charging overnight after every second or third commute. VIRB is cool for overlaying Garmin data if you have a gps

Thanks. How long have you had it for? No problems with battery life fading with age?

Thanks. How long have you had it for? No problems with battery life fading with age?

All lithium ion batteries will fade depending on the number of charge/recharge cycles. There is no getting around this asides from having a replaceable battery. Getting 2 years out of one of these devices is very good imo.

As for the Virb, it is a large camera, so it is only suited to mounting on the bars. I've been on the lookout for a replacement camera for my 3 year old contour roam2 but I haven't found anything worthwhile.

Currently there's a big shift towards 4k for a lot of new cameras, which makes it a poor time to buy a high end device. That being said, a Virb for 80 is a very good deal regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You can overlay your data on any camera footage using the Virb Edit app provided the format is mp4.

Thanks. I am thinking if going for the same camera again.

The Mobius now comes with a battery that gives just over two hours of video.

Still my favourite, and I have two Virb basics.

It's a tiny yoke that you can velcro onto your helmet.

The Virb does have a great quality picture and over a two hour battery life too (plus you can change batteries mid ride) but it's a big yoke, with a specific cradle.

Example Mobius footage below. I shot it with the purpose of viewing "detail" for someone else here. Put it into HD and pause it anywhere, and you should be able to read signs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

g0g wrote: »
    I have a VIRB too and am a fan. Got it on sportpursuit.com for around €70/80 I think as someone on boards posted a discount code a while back when it was on sale. It pops up there from time to time so keep an eye out. Granted it didn't include bike mount for handlebars or memory card!! Battery life I think might be couple of hours so I just leave it charging overnight after every second or third commute. VIRB is cool for overlaying Garmin data if you have a gps

ihave a Virb also. Great camera, easy to use,and easy to edit .
    BUT .... the latest recommended update knackered the VirbEdit suite.....
    All I get now when I try to open the Edit is a black square flashing across the screen...
    I have emailed Garmin help, but it is PAINFUL !!! 1 email reply a day....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Mobius now comes with a battery that gives just over two hours of video.

Do you mean it is now a replaceable battery or just that the newer version lasts longer?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Do you mean it is now a replaceable battery or just that the newer version lasts longer?

A newer version that lasts longer. Just over two hours of recording now, in full HD.

It now comes as V3 ( I think) and it has a new higher capacity(820mah)

It is replaceable, but you have to take it apart to do that, which is handy enough, but not something to be doing while out cycling. Much handier to have a second one in a back pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The Lidl camera sunglasses get my vote. I use mine everyday and footage was good enough to be used by the Gardai who were impressed by the quality. Plus no one knows U have a camera..makes for interesting footage ;)

I'm on my 3rd pair now since the batteries were only meant to be used for a year or so but Lidl have kept their word about the 3 year warranty :D

They come on sale every few months.

Advertisement