Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon TC-201 Tele Converter

• 17-10-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All, I the a nikon TC-201 converter mounted on a Nikon D90 with a
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.

My question is this. Should I be able to adjust / change the f-stop / aperture from with in the Camera? As it stands the f-stop out-put reads F- - and is not changeable.

Is this a compatibility issue with the lens of is the telle converter faulty.

Thanks In Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

PatDee wrote: »
    Hi All, I the a nikon TC-201 converter mounted on a Nikon D90 with a
    Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens.

My question is this. Should I be able to adjust / change the f-stop / aperture from with in the Camera? As it stands the f-stop out-put reads F- - and is not changeable.

Is this a compatibility issue with the lens of is the telle converter faulty.

Thanks In Advance.

In short, compatibility issue. You could use the camera in unmetered manual mode only with the TC-201 mounted but only with a non-G lens. I.E. you have to have some mechanism of changing the aperture on the lens itself, which the G lenses of course don't have.

OTOH a 2x teleconverter is pretty crazy to use on a f/5.6 (at the long end, which is where I assume you'll be using it) lens. It'll transform it into an f/11 lens. I hope it's sunny where you're going :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

Daire thanks for shining your light in my direction, I now have clarity now.

Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 PatDee

my intention was to try to take some shots of the moon, so I'll have to have a rethink.... however I can shoot using l o n g shutter speeds, should be interesting to see the results.

Advertisement