Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charge for a new tenant

Options
  • 17-10-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

My current flatmate is moving out, has given proper notice and all that. I have a new person lined up to move in as I would otherwise be responsible for the entirety of the rent. His references have checked out and everything, but the landlord's agency has said that there will be a €50 charge for changing the name on the lease. Currently we don't have a lease, since it expired after the first year with no renewal.

From what I can see there is no actual cost to them. Do they have a right to charge this "administration fee" as they described it? My understanding is that the tenancy can remain the same as long as one of the original tenants (myself) remains.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

it is a whole new lease, not just adding someone to a lease.

With a new lease they will have to register it with the PRTB .. which incurs a fee and also the administration time to draw the new lease, getting it signed etc.

There is very little in this world that does not cost money ... people believe it or not in their professional capacity charge for their time and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If the landlord didn't charge you now, he'd charge you in the next rent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Hi everyone,

My current flatmate is moving out, has given proper notice and all that. I have a new person lined up to move in as I would otherwise be responsible for the entirety of the rent. His references have checked out and everything, but the landlord's agency has said that there will be a €50 charge for changing the name on the lease. Currently we don't have a lease, since it expired after the first year with no renewal.

From what I can see there is no actual cost to them. Do they have a right to charge this "administration fee" as they described it? My understanding is that the tenancy can remain the same as long as one of the original tenants (myself) remains.

Thanks in advance for any help!

they are trying to pull a fast one . i wouldn't pay them

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

It is illegal for a letting agent to pass any of their costs onto the tenant like this:
    90.— (1) Subject to subsection (2), any provision (whether express or implied) in an agreement in respect of the sale or letting of land whereby the purchaser or tenant, as the case may be, is required to pay or otherwise bear the cost of the licensee’s fees or expenses in respect of the sale or letting, as the case may be, shall be void, and any moneys paid pursuant to such a provision shall be recoverable as a simple contract debt in a court of competent jurisdiction.
    These guys are chancers trying to sting you for a few quick euros; tell them where to stick their administration fee. If they push it tell them you'll make a formal complaint to the Property Services Regulator.
    whippet wrote: »

With a new lease they will have to register it with the PRTB .. which incurs a fee
    No it doesn't.

If there is a change in one of the particulars of the tenancy after it has been registered with the PRTB this is considered to be an update to a tenancy.

For example, if some of the tenants are replaced by new tenants (but at least one of the tenants remain in the rented property) then this would be considered an update to an existing tenancy.

No fee is payable when providing an update of tenancy details. Please note you cannot update the tenancy commencement date. If the wrong tenancy commencement date was erroneously provided on the application to register then a correction must be submitted in writing to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 neomanyouth

Thanks for the advice, guys! Landlord backed down when I asked them to explain what exactly the charge was for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

whippet wrote: »

With a new lease they will have to register it with the PRTB .. which incurs a fee and also the administration time to draw the new lease, getting it signed etc.

There is very little in this world that does not cost money ... people believe it or not in their professional capacity charge for their time and work.

Oh look, you were completely wrong.

Advertisement