Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water seeping through stone cladding in garden room wall

• 17-10-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi

I am hoping you can help me. I got a garden designer to build a garden room at rhe end of my garden ( walls are very close to existing boundary fences)

The problem is that water is seeping through the stone cladding. How can this be rectified? What issues will this cause down the line.
    I have attached a pic.

The water is also seeping at the bottom of the wall. The outser parrt of the wall is right up against the boundary fence ( the designer didn't render this - is that what is causing the issue?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

You say this is stone cladding so I would understand this type of stone is usually backed by a solid concrete wall. When you say you got a designer to build your outdoor room and not a builder this may not be the case and could explain your problem.

If there is solid concrete block support behind the wall then water might be getting into the wall from the top and seeping down between the two layers. Weather proofing the top of the wall may solve the problem.

If this is just a single stack of stone cladding then it may not be wide enough to securely support the wall and any roof above. Without physically inspecting your outdoor room I can't give definite answers to your questions.

You mention rendering the outside of the wall, which if there is a proper foundation and the wall is wide enough to support the weight of the room, might solve your problem. I am not sure if you can access the outside of the wall easily. If your wall is structurally sound it could last for years without structural problems developing depending on the volume of water that is seeping through. It does look like the stone is square enough to keep its shape even if a little mortar is dissolved over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Is there soil built up against the back of the wall? If so, the wall should have been tanked/sealed on the back and drainage put in to remove water from the soil.

Over a hard winter or two, the freezing/thawing cycle will result in cracks, and probably some of the render coming away.

Advertisement