Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamie Oliver Shin of beef chili

Options
  • 17-10-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Folks

I attempted Jamies money saving shin of beef chili.....my meet has been in the oven for four hours at this stage and isnt very tender? Im guessing I have done something wrong.

I only put tin foil on top of the casserole dish when it went into the oven should I have put the lid on??

Help me please :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Nice username :D

What temperature is the oven supposed to be at? If your oven is a bit dicey that's most likely the problem.

When you say casserole dish, are you cooking it in a pot in the oven or something like a lasagne dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 feckoffjamie

So stressed out right now lol

In his video he puts it in at 170 and thats what I went with.....the setting on the oven is a square with a rectangle at the top and one at the bottom nothing in the middle.

Using a big casserole pot I got in TKMaxx?????

I have cooked banana bread on the same setting and it came out perfect??

No bone in the shin of beef apparently only a butcher in Moore St sells them with the bone in???

Hmmmm. Is there a setting with what looks like a fan or a wheel anywhere? When you open the oven, does it feel hot?

Pot is grand, we've eliminated that :D

Yes the fan oven setting is just below the setting its currently on. Oven feels hot when I open it

• Advertisement

I just picked off a piece of meat from the side and its tasty but the joint isnt falling apart at all?

I'd say turn the fan oven on, and put the lid on the pot. Check it again in forty minutes. Shin is as tough as oul boots but even so four hours ought to do it so I think maybe not having a lid on the pot is the problem.

The good news is that even if it ends up taking another hour and a half it'll still taste good.

Emaleth thank you for the support. I have the lid on + fan oven and fingers crossed lol

Hope it works out

Good luck! Honestly, it'll be lovely, even if it takes an age.

Advertisement