Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Buildings in Dublin-Advise sought

Options
  • 17-10-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

as part of my work I am required to keep inventory of all the office space in Dublin. Quite the challenge really. Anyway in keeping this inventory I am required to determine what year each building was built(i.e. finished). Thus far I have been able to establish a year for most buildings by referring to newspaper articles, historical tenancy, planning/commencement notices, all available online or by calling someone in the know. However it is exponentially more difficult in the case of buildings that were completed before the internet existed, or before it was widely used. In those cases it is also difficult to contact anyone who might know. The planning authorities don't have any serious record keeping dating before the late 1990's, or at least it's not publicly available.

It occurred to me today that surely there must be some better way of doing it. Surely somewhere in the vast deposits of paperwork in state ownership, there must be some sort of comprehensive list of buildings in Dublin and their history. Even if it is in hard copy somewhere it'd be a massive help. Does anyone know if there is such a source of information and/or a better way of collecting it/ Thanks in advance for any suggestions, occasionally I do feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

P.S the thread title is meant to say: 'Advice' but I haven't a clue how to change it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would the dublin city council planning department have this information?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could try the Dublin City collection upstairs in Pearse Street library.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cgcsb wrote: »
    Hello all,

as part of my work I am required to keep inventory of all the office space in Dublin. Quite the challenge really. Anyway in keeping this inventory I am required to determine what year each building was built(i.e. finished). Thus far I have been able to establish a year for most buildings by referring to newspaper articles, historical tenancy, planning/commencement notices, all available online or by calling someone in the know. However it is exponentially more difficult in the case of buildings that were completed before the internet existed, or before it was widely used. In those cases it is also difficult to contact anyone who might know. The planning authorities don't have any serious record keeping dating before the late 1990's, or at least it's not publicly available.

It occurred to me today that surely there must be some better way of doing it. Surely somewhere in the vast deposits of paperwork in state ownership, there must be some sort of comprehensive list of buildings in Dublin and their history. Even if it is in hard copy somewhere it'd be a massive help. Does anyone know if there is such a source of information and/or a better way of collecting it/ Thanks in advance for any suggestions, occasionally I do feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

P.S the thread title is meant to say: 'Advice' but I haven't a clue how to change it.

Dublin City Council Building Control Section would have a copy of the bye law certificate for each building inspected before the introduction of building regulations. But you have to buy these and they may not have every building you need.

Advertisement