Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous electrical appliances

• 17-10-2014 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Ever have a near miss with something electrical? I ask because I just had my phone charger go on fire. Well, "on fire" may be a bit dramatic but lots of smoke and melted plastic. No frayed wires either. Charger was only 4 months old.
    Usually I charge my phone at night but I was drunk last night and fell asleep without charging it so thank god for that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yeah the plug for my UPC router melted onto the socket and started smoking, really bad smell, just happy I was there, could have been much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Thankfully not yet!

But now that you mention it, my phone charger makes a really high pitched noise when its plugged into the wall but the phone isnt connected to it....slightly paranoid now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A 3 in 1 music player went on fire - flames the lot - while only the radio was playing. Luckily, I went into the room and found it in time. Taught me never to leave the house with any electrical appliance running. My son's tumble dryer once went on fire and a dishwasher of a friend did likewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The toaster was laughing at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

http://tinypic.com/r/swr913/8 that's what mine ended up like. Probably not a good idea to leave a phone on charge overnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Bought a charger for my laptop on ebay, a couple of weeks later it blew out half the sockets in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thankfully not yet!

But now that you mention it, my phone charger makes a really high pitched noise when its plugged into the wall but the phone isnt connected to it....slightly paranoid now!

I'd get rid of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

TV's; people think they can fix them but fail to realise that there is a significant charge held in the capacitor that can kill if you meddle in the wrong place.

My old Wii, a few people ended up with a controller in the mush because of that. Don't drink and wii.... m'kay.

A friends parents house burnt to the ground because of a faulty ambi pure plug in air freshener thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Apparently a few years a go one of the neighbours houses burned down because their standard tv remote control caught fire from overheating between the couch cushion and arm.....Im sceptical tbh, cant help but shake the feel someones telling porkies :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You ever see those home-made dildos attached to power tools.... feckin lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

My parents and sisters had a lucky escape when a chest freezer in the utility roon went up in flames at 5 in the morning.
    Utility room and kitchen/living room were gutted and the rest of the house and severe smoke damage.They were waiting over eight months to get the house back in shape and move back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Sitting in the kitchen one day and smelt smoke coming from the toasted sandwich maker which wasn't plugged in. Seconds later the flex caught fire.

Turns out the sun's rays shining in the window were reflecting off a make-up mirror on a shelf and hitting the flex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I had a TV that blew up in my bedroom in 1995.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My kettle exploded once. (Well it was hardly likely to happen a second time).

I think I was meant to put some uisce into the thing before I switched it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Had a close shave with an electric razor .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Acedia.

A new Technics stereo went on fire years ago and Dixons quibbled with me for months before refunding. A crap shop.

I bought a few of these Velcro bags and we use them for phones and E-cig batteries. Better safe than sorry.

www dot hobbyking dot com/hobbyking/store/__4134__Lithium_Polymer_Charge_Pack_18x22cm_Sack.html
    (Sorry, I can't post links yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Electric showers can be lethal.
    Heard a story once where a child got electrocuted and you could see a black burn mark across his chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

My laptop was on my bed and the charger cable split and a blue flame and sparks came out and I just was lucky that the bed didn't go on fire. My niece left her hair straighteners on the timber floor and left a scorch mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'll never juggle chainsaws again. I physically can't now.

• Advertisement

Yep! Several as I work in computers.

Had a CRT monitor explode in my face, several PC power supply units go bang around me. Also got a shock from one of them.

The most recent was in work earlier in the year when I went into the comms room to plug in a DSL modem. Plugged it into an extension lead and it just shattered in my hand! Tripped the RCDs but I could very easily have been shocked by it. The plastic on the extension lead was really brittle and it just shattered. At the time I was more embarrassed that I brought down the whole office but they were just relieved that I wasn't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

TV (plug it out!) and dryer ......never leave dryer on when you leave house ! Wise words from old owl-with dryer disasters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Actually.....electric showers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Tasers can be a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I had a TV that blew up in my bedroom in 1995.

My brother accidentally set fire to our ancient telly back in the day by placing his cigarette on it to rest.

The adapter for my computer started producing smoke there a few months ago just before a class and I had to rid the classroom of smoke before my students came in. Dodgy as fook. It was a cheapo one I bought for a tenner though, so more fool me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I watched once as smoke was coming out of a ground floor office window, also outside was a small petrol generator with leads going through the open window. Next thing I know a old style CRT monitor came flying out the window followed shortly by another one first monitor was actually on fire and the second was smoking. What happened was there was a power cut and the mean old git of an accountant that ran the office didn't like the idea of no one working so he borrowed the generator from the nearby farm, needless to say the generator was dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Came home from 2 weeks holidays, nobody at home for the duration, opened the door to a bad smoke smell and found the fridge rubber plug (was 25 years ago) was on fire and flames just licking the wooden kitchen panelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

RoboRat wrote: »
    TV's; people think they can fix them but fail to realise that there is a significant charge held in the capacitor that can kill if you meddle in the wrong place.

My old Wii, a few people ended up with a controller in the mush because of that. Don't drink and wii.... m'kay.

For CRTs that's correct, but I don't think there's high capacitance capacitors in LCD screens (though I am open to correction).

I've been fairly lucky when it comes to electronics, never really had anything go bad though I have been the source of several electrical explosions :o

For CRTs that's correct, but I don't think there's high capacitance capacitors in LCD screens (though I am open to correction).

I've been fairly lucky when it comes to electronics, never really had anything go bad though I have been the source of several electrical explosions :o

Once the "magic smoke" escapes its not gonna work again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

When I was very small, I pulled the lead out from the back of the stereo (one of the standard detachable ones).

I plugged it in, and put the other end into my mouth.

I immediately realised what a huge mistake I made as the electricity consumed my face!!

keith16 wrote: »
    When I was very small, I pulled the lead out from the back of the stereo (one of the standard detachable ones).

I plugged it in, and put the other end into my mouth.

I immediately realised what a huge mistake I made as the electricity consumed my face!!

Sorry keith, I thought you where born like that:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Mech1 wrote: »
    Sorry keith, I thought you where born like that:eek:

:pac: Quiet you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Birneybau wrote: »
    The toaster was laughing at me.

My vacuum called me a ****. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

That sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I puked on an extension lead after a heavy night on the beer, whiskey and various other substances. Blue flames jumped out of it so i tried to pull out the plug from the socket and got some kind of shock. Woke up the next day in a pool of dried in puke and piss with a large scorch mark on my arm.

I never drank again, until the following weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

hate electric showers and im a plumber!! 9kw of power running through a load of plastic compartments, you be better of handing me a rope..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Toaster wire blew out a big spark with load noise once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It tells it as it is ; D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Those cheap-ass, knock-off laptop chargers people buy off Ebay are an absolute menace.

They think they're saving a bargain spending €10 on one when the piece of shít will either die within a few months, melt / burn the DC jack, fry the laptop, or just decide to spit out sparks for the craíc and burn the outlet it's plugged into.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, those chargers do bring me good business from all the damage they do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

I was having a bath and dropped the toaster in it. It wasn't plugged in.

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Those cheap-ass, knock-off laptop chargers people buy off Ebay are an absolute menace.

They think they're saving a bargain spending €10 on one when the piece of shít will either die within a few months, melt / burn the DC jack, fry the laptop, or just decide to spit out sparks for the craíc and burn the outlet it's plugged into.

Most definitely, they're deathtraps! I even saw one with a counterfeit plug that didn't meet the BS1363 standards. It had an insulator on the earth pin (it should only be on the live and neutral), which meant that in most sockets, the earth was useless as the insulated part of the pin was what made contact in the socket! Most have feck all weight in them, which makes you wonder what is in them?

Mad_Mike_ wrote: »
    electricity kills folks.

Not just folks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Birneybau wrote: »
    It tells it as it is ; D

He is a pretty good judge of character to be fair.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Karsini wrote: »
    Most have feck all weight in them, which makes you wonder what is in them?

I got to have a look inside one of them when a guy brought one in after the components swelled up and popped the case of the charger open. There's basically no insulation or protection inside them and have the absolute bare minimum of components inside them.

This is sort of an idea of the difference between a genuine / higher quality charger to a low-end Ebay type charger. The one I saw had way less component than the low-end picture in it.

I couldn't even imagine having one plugged in overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Did you know a three year old can fit a Blackberry in a toaster?

And switch it on?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

http://tinypic.com/r/swr913/8 that's what mine ended up like. Probably not a good idea to leave a phone on charge overnight

If that pink thing on the left is your fingernail, id find a different nail technician!

Duggy747 wrote: »

I suppose I shouldn't complain, those chargers do bring me good business from all the damage they do :pac:
    I have on the table next to me, a cable from one of those that caught fire only a few days ago!

Rather than just pulling the plug, they all ran away and called me!
    The RCD cut out first, before I got to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If that pink thing on the left is your fingernail, id find a different nail technician!

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

hate electric showers and im a plumber!! 9kw of power running through a load of plastic compartments, you be better of handing me a rope..

Eh...plastic is an insulator...

Eh...plastic is an insulator...
    Only when it's dry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement