Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me to appreciate this piece

Options
  • 17-10-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

I've always loved this fragment by Carter Burwell from the film Fur. I'm not content enjoying it any more without understanding why it's good. Specifically there is point where the tone (?) drops much deeper and I'm curious to know what a technique of this kind is called? Is there even a name for it? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

This is the classical forum, that sounds more like jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Is it around the 0:30 mark? This is interesting, it doesn't matter if it's the classical or jazz forum it's still a valid music question, but jazz musicians might be better able to explain it. I've listened to it about 4 times now trying to find what bit you might like and why :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If it's at the 30 second mark then it is the piano and bass in 3rds resolving to what seems to be a perfect cadence(point of rest) but instead denies the reolution and goes to chord IV I think.

Piano and double bass in simple thirds = nice

Coupled with the intro of the cymbal just before it to appear to build up to that cadence also (but going somewhere else!).

I think the piece works because it's standard chord progressions going into distant chords but back to the normal ones again!

Advertisement