Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 Greatest Premier League Players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Course not, he's not even top 3 at United. Like Roy Keane said, a great career doesn't mean a great player.

Paul Scholes for me, although its a toss of a coin between him and Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Bergkamp, Shearer, Ronaldo Henry all ahead of Giggs for me

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In terms of pure talent it has to be Ronaldo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ronaldo is the greatest player to ever play for an English club. There's definitely no argument for the Premier League era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ronaldo is the greatest player to ever play for an English club. There's definitely no argument for the Premier League era.

Henry was better for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Giggs wasn't even United's best player in the same era. Ronaldo, Scholes, Keane, Cantona and even RVP were more influential in title-winning seasons. Says it all that when he retired there was very little fanfare about Januzaj "inheriting" his 11 jersey (compared to the aura of number 7).

Ronaldo, Henry, Scholes, Keane off the top of my head ahead of him as GOAT. Too subjective though to form a definitive answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think the OP means greatest performing player in the premier league rather than the greatest player to have played in it at some stage

The latter is without a doubt Ronaldo, the former could be argued all day but I don't think it's Giggs tbh

Thought we had this thread earlier in the year too

I think the OP means greatest performing player in the premier league rather than the greatest player to have played in it at some stage

The latter is without a doubt Ronaldo, the former could be argued all day but I don't think it's Giggs tbh

Thought we had this thread earlier in the year too

What makes you think performer? Says greatest player

There's no absolute answers in these debates. I'd have Keane Veira Henry and Scholes all ahead of Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I wish they broke these down into positions.
    For me:

GK: Schmiechel
    D: Terry
    M: Keane
    AM/F/S: Ronaldo

Do you know what else would be interesting: pick your starting 11 from the 100 people. Lets stick to the same formation. Thoughts on formation?

4-4-2
    4-3-3
    4-2-3-1
    etc????

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    There's no absolute answers in these debates. I'd have Keane Veira Henry and Scholes all ahead of Ronaldo

And you would be very wrong.

Do you know what else would be interesting: pick your starting 11 from the 100 people. Lets stick to the same formation. Thoughts on formation?

4-4-2
    4-3-3
    4-2-3-1
    etc????

442 is probably the best or 343

eh i dunno wrote: »
    442 is probably the best or 343

4-4-2 I reckon. Most popular formation for the premier league era. Gimme a minute....

What makes you think performer? Says greatest player

I'm not sure if you're confusing what I'm saying or if you actually think that

Based on their time in the premier league alone I'd have Viera, Henry, Scholes and Keane ahead of Ronaldo but you'd have to be completely bat shít crazy to actually think they are/were better players

And you would be very wrong.

Not in my opinion, Ronaldo definitely went on to be better than all but for just his time in the premier league I think the others did more

Schmiechel

Neville Rio Terry Cole

Pires Keane Scholes Bale

Ronaldo Henry

I'm not sure if you're confusing what I'm saying or if you actually think that

Based on their time in the premier league alone I'd have Viera, Henry, Scholes and Keane ahead of Ronaldo but you'd have to be completely bat shít crazy to actually think they are/were better players

Yeah I'm all over the shop that's what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

If it's 'greatest' and not necessarily the best, then i think his extra marital antics put him out of the running .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In terms of goal scoring and performance he was a great player but he's not best.
    Schmeichael- keeper
    Dennis Irwin or vidic -defender
    Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo -midfield
    Cantona, Rooney
    That'd be my united best anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I didn't have time to go through the list, but where does Jon Obi Mikel appear ?

at least top 10 for sure ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira and Bergkamp behind Shearer is laughable. Don't think you could argue with Giggs at number one but I'd have Bergkamp just after him.

Lampard, Gerrard, Vieira and Bergkamp behind Shearer is laughable.

Ah Shearer was great, can't stand him but he was a goal machine. Hard to know were you'd place him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Giggs is only number 1 because of longevity having played more seasons than any other player.

Not in my opinion, Ronaldo definitely went on to be better than all but for just his time in the premier league I think the others did more

That's not what you said :confused:

If it's 'greatest' and not necessarily the best, then i think his extra marital antics put him out of the running .

I'm pretty sure it's footballing greatness they are looking for here. Why on earth would you judge a player on his personal life?

I'm pretty sure it's footballing greatness they are looking for here. Why on earth would you judge a player on his personal life?

Footballing greatness? Okay, he's probably barely inside the top 20.

Footballing greatness? Okay, he's probably barely inside the top 20.

That's all you had to say the first time...

Cantona top 10. Lol.

Henry number 1 for me I think.

That's all you had to say the first time...

It's obviously about more than just his ability on the pitch if he came first. Don't you think?

• Advertisement

It's obviously about more than just his ability on the pitch if he came first. Don't you think?

Yeah, his longevity on the pitch would be the biggest factor.

Yeah, his longevity on the pitch would be the biggest factor.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

What a boring fukcing criteria, come on .

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz

What a boring fukcing criteria, come on .

Oh sorry, maybe we should petition for other criteria to be considered next time.
    Best hair? Coolest pet? Fastest car? What would make it more exciting for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cantona top 10. Lol.

Henry number 1 for me I think.

Yeah all he did was win the league every season he was at United and could play. That's not even counting that he won it his last year with Leeds too. Was top United scorer most if not all those 4 OUT OF 5 SEASONS they WON THE LEAGUE too. LOL am I right?

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah all he did was win the league every season he was at United and could play. That's not even counting that he won it his last year with Leeds too. Was top United scorer most if not all those 4 OUT OF 5 SEASONS they WON THE LEAGUE too. LOL am I right?

I wouldn't bother man...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Zola was pure class imo, he'd definitely be in my top 5

• Advertisement

That's not what you said :confused:

Yeah confused myself with how I said it but got there in the end

:confused:

Does winning the league automatically get you to top 10?

Cantona is/was incredibly overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I got 27 pages in but had to stop. Ricardo Carvalho at 75? The best damn defender to grace England in the last couple of decades, arguably the best center back in Europe of his generation is only 75th. Petr Cech at 62? Yaya Toure not high enough either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Couldnt agree more.

Henry no 1 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lol @ Ricardo Carvalho even being in the bloody list if I'm honest.

Henry should be #1, nobody has been so dominant in the league as he was all those years. Ronaldo may have gone on to do better things overall after he left United, but strictly speaking in England he cannot compete with Henry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

People having a pop at Shearer is laughable. I don't like him at all, but he's got 260 Premier League goals. Rooney has played his entire career in the Premier League and it's not certain whether he will even surpass that record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Lol @ Ricardo Carvalho even being in the bloody list if I'm honest.

Henry should be #1, nobody has been so dominant in the league as he was all those years. Ronaldo may have gone on to do better things overall after he left United, but strictly speaking in England he cannot compete with Henry

I'm sorry...what? 3 Premier League titles, at the heart of a formidable Chelsea defence. For my money, the most underrated player to play in the Premier League, never gets the credit he deserves in lists like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

:confused:

Does winning the league automatically get you to top 10?

Just because a few lads on boards believe it doesn't make it true. He has a lot more going for him than the likes of Gerrard for instance. I suppose being in the top 3 players in the world (unless Balon d'Or voting suddenly has a problem with it, which I wouldn't put past people on here) in one of those seasons where English teams weren't doing well in Europe is something undeserved too?

Actually on your original criticism, winning the league doesn't automatically get you into the top 10. LEADING your team to it for basically every season you played probably does.

Shearer for me. He was a machine and could score every type of goal. If he was playing now he'd be worth 100m

Shearer is definitely up there

Had Rooney played his whole career as a main striker he probably would have bettered Henry's goal ratio, he isn't too far off to be fair

On the back of that it's funny that so many would put Henry number 1 yet the usual suspects would probably "lol" at putting Rooney in the top 10 despite this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Henry or shearer for me. Ronaldo obviously the best player to have played in the PL due to his last couple of seasons at Utd and what he has done since.

Just because a few lads on boards believe it doesn't make it true. He has a lot more going for him than the likes of Gerrard for instance. I suppose being in the top 3 players in the world (unless Balon d'Or voting suddenly has a problem with it, which I wouldn't put past people on here) in one of those seasons where English teams weren't doing well in Europe is something undeserved too?

Actually on your original criticism, winning the league doesn't automatically get you into the top 10. LEADING your team to it for basically every season you played probably does.

Strange comparison. I think Cech was better than Cantona too :confused: The rest of the paragraph is an incredible ramble.

He was a failure on the big stage tbf.

I don't see why you are getting so defensive. It's only opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Yaya Toure not high enough either.

Yaya Toure is 19th isn't he? Think that's very very generous myself.

Giggs wouldn't be my choice for number one, but I can see why people would put him there. 20 years of being a key player in title winning/contending teams is nothing short of phenominal. His bedhopping is irrelevant in the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'd have David Silva ahead of Yaya every day of the week personally

The Cantona bashing is hilarious too

Either they are too young to remember him lead United to 4 league titles in his 5 seasons, top goalscorer in 3 of those, or they are just deluded

The double winning goal was one of my favourites

• Advertisement
Advertisement