Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 Greatest Premier League Players

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Yaya Toure is 19th isn't he? Think that's very very generous myself.

Giggs wouldn't be my choice for number one, but I can see why people would put him there. 20 years of being a key player in title winning/contending teams is nothing short of phenominal. His bedhopping is irrelevant in the discussion.

He's powered City to two titles, he's done that when the standard of the Premier League has been high. He's a phenomenon, a fearsome mix of raw physicality and perfectly honed technique, for me, he more than deserves a higher place on the list. Also, if you were to use the Ronaldo argument, then what he did for Barcelona should be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Strange comparison. I think Cech was better than Cantona too :confused: The rest of the paragraph is an incredible ramble.

He was a failure on the big stage tbf.

I don't see why you are getting so defensive. It's only opinions.
    Cech won a league, I went for someone who people put up there and haven't won a league.

I can't disagree with opinions on a message board now? Really? You have yet to address one of the pro-Cantona points at all. He was a failure on the big stage? Good analysis.

Liam O wrote: »
    Cech won a league, I went for someone who people put up there and haven't won a league.

I can't disagree with opinions on a message board now? Really? You have yet to address one of the pro-Cantona points at all. He was a failure on the big stage? Good analysis.

Shearer never won a league and is miles ahead of Cantona.

Cantona did nothing of note in Europe tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

:confused:

Does winning the league automatically get you to top 10?

Cantona is/was incredibly overrated

Winning the league doesn't automatically do it. Being the catalyst for that success and having such a huge impact on the club probably gets him in there I would say.

Edit: Also, since the old didn't do anything in Europe chestnut has said hello, the list has **** all to do with how players performed in Europe does it?

I remember one period where United won a load of games by 1 goal in quick succession, with Cantona getting the goal more often then not. His influence is understated these days incredibly. There have been far more talented players in the league, but the list of how many were more important to their team is not as long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Blackburn?

kryogen wrote: »
    Winning the league doesn't automatically do it. Being the catalyst for that success and having such a huge impact on the club probably gets him in there I would say.

Edit: Also, since the old didn't do anything in Europe chestnut has said hello, the list has **** all to do with how players performed in Europe does it?

I remember one period where United won a load of games by 1 goal in quick succession, with Cantona getting the goal more often then not. His influence is understated these days incredibly. There have been far more talented players in the league, but the list of how many were more important to their team is not as long.

I only just now read the small print
    Telegraph Sport assembled an expert panel including Henry Winter, Alan Smith, Jason Burt, Mark Ogden, Jeremy Wilson, Chris Bascombe, Luke Edwards, Jim White and Jonathan Liew to nominate their favourite players from the last 28 years

Favourite and best players would probably mean quite different lists to a lot of people.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Blackburn?

Lol, not really sure how I let that one go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Giggs would probably be the 'greatest' player in the league, but would be far from the best. Players like Ronaldo and Suarez would be up there with the best talents in the league but shouldn't be too high on the list due to not spending a lot of time in the league. I'd probably have Henry at number 1 too, always incredible to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Blackburn?

Ferguson was absolutely desperate to sign Shearer from Blackburn but he chose (inexplicably imo) to join Newcastle - the team he supported as a boy etc etc. Shearer was, without doubt, the best striker to play in the PL but that one ridiculous decision has cost him his place as the best PL player of them all.

• Advertisement

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Ferguson was absolutely desperate to sign Shearer from Blackburn but he chose (inexplicably imo) to join Newcastle - the team he supported as a boy etc etc. Shearer was, without doubt, the best striker to play in the PL but that one ridiculous decision has cost him his place as the best PL player of them all.

I'm not sure he regards it as ridiculous. Fair play for wanting to play at his boyhood team tbh.

RVN would run him pretty close, best finisher to have played in the league imo. Give him the amount of seasons Shearer had and he would eclipse his record, I would certainly stake money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So 4 Irish on the list, the two Keanes, Dinny Irwin and Shay Given.

Surely Paul McGrath should be in? He was even player of the year well after the premier league era started.

Given the likes of Scott Parker and David James made it in, I'd say Damien duff might have also been in with a shout

RVN would run him pretty close, best finisher to have played in the league imo. Give him the amount of seasons Shearer had and he would eclipse his record, I would certainly stake money on it.

A rather pointless offer now, since they are both long since retired!

Shearer could score goals RVN could only dream about tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Depends how you interpret the word 'Greatest'. If longevity is a big factor then players like Shearer, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard come into it with ultimately one of Giggs or Scholes winning out. If it's purely the best player to play in the league, then it's between Ronaldo and Henry.

Re: Cantona, again it comes down to interpretation. One of the 10 best players? No. But he was the catalyst for one of the most dominating era's ever in football. The face of English football changed completely and he was the single most important player in that change. That would certainly put him high in any 'Greatest' list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

He's powered City to two titles, he's done that when the standard of the Premier League has been high. He's a phenomenon, a fearsome mix of raw physicality and perfectly honed technique, for me, he more than deserves a higher place on the list. Also, if you were to use the Ronaldo argument, then what he did for Barcelona should be considered.

Yaya, had the capability to be at viera/keane levels of mf dominance, he's too lazy, not consistent enough or enough of a leader. Excellent overall mind. Those city squads weren't exactly journeymen either, hugely rated, priced and paid. Aguero, Silva and especially Kompany more important player at the club imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Henry was the best for me, I'd have everyone else a class below. He was out of this world

No one else emulated what he did imo, not even Ronaldo. I mean that as a pure impact and team player. He drove Arsenal and the premier league to incredible heights

I`ll leave this here

Yaya, had the capability to be at viera/keane levels of mf dominance, he's too lazy, not consistent enough or enough of a leader. Excellent overall mind. Those city squads weren't exactly journeymen either, hugely rated, priced and paid. Aguero, Silva and especially Kompany more important player at the club imo.

Aguero and Silva were major players to get. Still can't believe they went there. Both woukd have had their pick of clubs in the top echelon and imo it was more timing than anything that worked in City's favour. In a similar situation today they would not be playing for City. The likes of Di Maria, linked with PSG among others wouldn't join a team with no previous pedigree over a big club who can offer similar money. They joined City in reasonably early days. I think Silva legitimised City tbh, you coukd say Robinho, but it was still a circus with him there. The fees paid for these guys was modest enough and Mark Hughes, along with Mancini deserve credit for these signings. Hughes identified some great targets, Mancini went and got them and it's changed the PL dynamic hugely. Aguero should have wound up at a Barcelona, Juve, Chelsea, United, even Liverpool but wound up at City, a pure wow transfer really.

A rather pointless offer now, since they are both long since retired!

I think you misunderstand if you think its an offer

Edit: to don my pedant hat, RVN is not long since retired /pedant hat off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Unless I went through the list too fast and missed him, did they omit Fabregas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

People having a pop at Shearer is laughable. I don't like him at all, but he's got 260 Premier League goals. Rooney has played his entire career in the Premier League and it's not certain whether he will even surpass that record.

He is on 176 goals and is 28. he will come close alright.

Pity he hasnt really been the main striker but Shearer was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dennis Bergkamp. Wasn't a consistent goalscorer like Henry or Shearer, but that wasn't his game. I haven't seen a player with better technique in the league, and the things he could do with the ball just defied belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Matthew Le Tissier by a country mile.

Can't argue with Shearer's goal record. Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Schmeichel, Henry, Bergkamp, Aguero, Toure would make my top ten purely off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Beefy78 wrote: »

Can't argue with Shearer's goal record. Ronaldo, Keane, Scholes, Schmeichel, Henry, Bergkamp, Aguero, Toure would make my top ten purely off the top of my head.

Yaya Toure in the top 10 ever? Couple of good seasons, a couple mediocre and one truly excellent. Without even moving out of African born midfielders, Vieira was better. Lampard and Gerrard just in midfield alone.

Bergkamp and Cantona are in the same bracket for me. Giggs is top 10/15 imo as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Fair point on Bergkamp and Cantona.

For me Toure has been the best player in England since he got to City. Be has probably peaked but he is one hell of a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Thierry Henry #1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Fair point on Bergkamp and Cantona.

For me Toure has been the best player in England since he got to City. Be has probably peaked but he is one hell of a footballer.

Tbf, I can't argue with the rest. Suarez and Aguero are close together.

I think when we do these lists the whole career obscures the peak. I mean, Torres at Liveepool was one of the best strikers I had ever seen for 3 or 4 seasons. He probably had a similar number of excellent seasons as Cristiano Ronaldo did in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesper Gronkjaer, Winston Bogarde, Salif Daio, Eric Djemba Djemba... Not even top 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

No Paul McGrath in that list is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No Paul McGrath in that list is a joke.

If it's premier league, you miss most of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

gosplan wrote: »
    If it's premier league, you miss most of his career.

At his peak in the Premier League era and is the only PFA players player of the year winner not in the list. Gary Pallister, Steve Bruce and Peter Beardsley made the list and they are from the same era. Klinsmann made it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No way am I clicking next 100 times. Does anyone have the full list to post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

No way am I clicking next 100 times. Does anyone have the full list to post?

all that matters is Shearer number 1 and deservedly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cantona did nothing of note in Europe tbf

Good thing its a list of premier league players so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Shame these type of polls focus on the Premier league, top flight football existed before it, it was only a name change ffs, it was called Division 1. So many meaningless records, most goals scored in premier league, most clean sheets etcetera. It's like stats sponsored by sky sports.

Bah, is all I can say.

/miserable old f*cker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rikand wrote: »
    Good thing its a list of premier league players so :)

We can take Shearer out of the running too. A nobody in European competition has no place at the top of a list of the best Premier League players. His paltry goal tally in Europe surely cancels out all those Premier League goals too. A nothing player. Le Tissier needs to be removed from the list completely, sure he didn't even play in Europe.

You forgot the :pac: at the end of that phrase! The ultimate glory-hunting luxury player. I don't think I ever saw him properly fit to play 90 mins of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You forgot the :pac: at the end of that phrase! The ultimate glory-hunting luxury player. I don't think I ever saw him properly fit to play 90 mins of football.

he didnt need to be in fairness, give him the ball and **** will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rikand wrote: »
    all that matters is Shearer number 1 and deservedly so

Depends on your criteria really. Longevity? Sure, although Giggs would have a claim to that too. Quality? Absolutely not, Henry was definitely a better striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Shame these type of polls focus on the Premier league, top flight football existed before it, it was only a name change ffs, it was called Division 1. So many meaningless records, most goals scored in premier league, most clean sheets etcetera. It's like stats sponsored by sky sports.

Bah, is all I can say.

/miserable old f*cker
    We're closing on twenty five years of the Premier League. Are we going to be seeing these kinds of posts for the next twenty five years?

Depends on your criteria really. Longevity? Sure, although Giggs would have a claim to that too. Quality? Absolutely not, Henry was definitely a better striker.

Definitely? Look at the stats and consider the players both played with. I used to really underestimate how good Shearer was but like seriously, he was insanely good. A pure goalscorer and technically better than most similar type of players

...he chose (inexplicably imo) to join Newcastle - the team he supported as a boy...

Inexplicably? I think I can see the explanation...in your own sentence.

As for Shearer v Henry, have to say both brilliant, think I'd prefer the Hot Shot Hamish type goals Shearer regularly scored myself, I always wanted him to break the crossbar. He has the strength to try from distance, Henry used his pace to get nearer the goal, both great great players.

Edit - Ballack in top 100? That can't be confined to his slightly underwhelming displays at Chelsea and must be for his career and ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A better striker? I definitely disagree with that. Shearer was the ultimate type of striker and the type that's absolute gold dust to sign. Of course Henry was a force of nature too but as a striker Shearer was a monster in front of goal.

His dull analysis seems to piss off a lot of people and in turn seems to have made people forget what an incredible goalscorer he was. He was just pure goals.

Aguero would definitely be in my top 5. Class act

Aguero would definitely be in my top 5. Class act

Injured too much for top 5 though

• Advertisement

The criteria is "favourite" players afaik. He's a joy to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

We're closing on twenty five years of the Premier League. Are we going to be seeing these kinds of posts for the next twenty five years?

Unless they change the name of the league again then we have to forget these players and start again?

I understand people having no recollection of older players or achievements, it's just the arbitrary cut off point of name change that irks me. Best player etc of last 25 years is fine, I have no issue.

Anyway, had my say, won't continue taking it off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's a bit of a myth he has played at least 30 league games in every league season bar last year in his 8 seasons at athletico and city.

The criteria is "favourite" players afaik. He's a joy to watch

Misleading thread title then?

That's a bit of a myth he has played at least 30 league games in every league season bar last year in his 8 seasons at athletico and city.

Ignoring the games this season for the sake of argument as I doubt anyone is including him in the list on the strength of 8 games (6 starts)

He has not started in about 36% of Citys league games since he joined, or just over one third of the games.

Edit: To be clear, I love him. I think he is a super player and in another couple of years in he can stay injury free he will go down as one of the greatest to have played in the division imho, just not top 5 right now anyway. He is still only 26

• Advertisement
Advertisement