Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 Greatest Premier League Players

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

kryogen wrote: »
    Misleading thread title then?

I'd imagine it is based on the article. Someone else pointed out that the list was made up from the panels favourite players with the only proviso that they had to have played in the Premier League.

Favouritism will always play a part anyway, which is why as a Blackburn fan Shearer would be No.1 for me.

Pointless I know, but I wonder how much of a fee he would command if it was today he was leaving Blackburn. Or what does that £15Million translate to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I bet they were thinking 'we should have made this a top 50' when they had to start including people like Nicky Butt, Chris Sutton, Luka Modric and Gus Poyet.

They still managed to exclude Andrei Kanchelskis, Rob Lee, Georgi Kinkladze and, as mentioned above, Paul McGrath.

These things wil never please everyone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I'd imagine it is based on the article. Someone else pointed out that the list was made up from the panels favourite players with the only proviso that they had to have played in the Premier League.

Favouritism will always play a part anyway, which is why as a Blackburn fan Shearer would be No.1 for me.

Pointless I know, but I wonder how much of a fee he would command if it was today he was leaving Blackburn. Or what does that £15Million translate to today.

Tbh I didn't read the article, never do read these lists, they are designed to start rows and that is what they do. They are rarely going to be accurate and certainly won't please everyone since the game is one of opinions.

If it is their favorite player (the panel) and Shearer won I can understand that I suppose, record goal scorer, "last great old fashioned English centre forward" and all that ****e.

Either way I wouldn't actually include Aguero in a top 5

My personal favorites are, in no particular order (other then Keane being first naturally)

Keane
    Henry
    Viera
    Scholes
    Bergkamp
    Zola
    Rio
    Irwin
    Ballack
    Evra
    RVN
    RVP
    Solskjaer
    Ronaldo

And plenty more I suppose, as a favorites list Shearer would only get a reference as a comedic term. As a greatest player of the league he would certainly have to be included I suppose along with people I don't like such as Petit, Terry, Cole, Suarez (even though he didn't have that long)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Dennis Bergkamp. Wasn't a consistent goalscorer like Henry or Shearer, but that wasn't his game. I haven't seen a player with better technique in the league, and the things he could do with the ball just defied belief.

Bergkamp sticks out like a sore thumb as being way too high for me. Laughable that he's a forward and is in a place ahead of midfielder Lampard, the latter with a better goalscoring record. Obviously not all about goals but I'd be surprised if Lampard didnt lead on assists aswell, coupled with the extra he'd give defensively. Bergkamp had amazing skill but so did the likes of Zola and Okacha and they wouldnt be in any top 10. Effectiveness>Skill any day. I'd have Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, RVN, Suarez and probably Augero ahead of Bergkamp at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Ferguson was absolutely desperate to sign Shearer from Blackburn but he chose (inexplicably imo) to join Newcastle - the team he supported as a boy etc etc. Shearer was, without doubt, the best striker to play in the PL but that one ridiculous decision has cost him his place as the best PL player of them all.

He rejected a move to Old Trafford more than once. ;)

Got to admire that loyalty, it doesn't exist any more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    Definitely? Look at the stats and consider the players both played with. I used to really underestimate how good Shearer was but like seriously, he was insanely good. A pure goalscorer and technically better than most similar type of players

Yep, definitely. For me anyway. Shearer was a great goalscorer, don't get me wrong, but Henry was better again. And it wasn't just goals, Henry was great in every aspect of his game. He didn't have a single bad season in the league (he was plagued with injury his last season, and still got 10 in 17), whereas Shearer had a few dodgy seasons. I also think defences were better in Henry's prime than Shearers prime (mid 90s).
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Bergkamp sticks out like a sore thumb as being way too high for me. Laughable that he's a forward and is in a place ahead of midfielder Lampard, the latter with a better goalscoring record. Obviously not all about goals but I'd be surprised if Lampard didnt lead on assists aswell, coupled with the extra he'd give defensively. Bergkamp had amazing skill but so did the likes of Zola and Okacha and they wouldnt be in any top 10. Effectiveness>Skill any day. I'd have Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, RVN, Suarez and probably Augero ahead of Bergkamp at this stage

Goalscoring? You must have hated Zidane so. You clearly don't get what Bergkamp's game was, go look back at it.

While we could argue about the order, on the other hand they have some good inclusions.

Lucas Radebe included, possibly a bit forgotten now but not by Leeds fans, a class act. A few others that passed through Leeds like Hasselbaink and Fowler in there too.

The one omission that Leeds fans might argue should be in is Nigel Martyn, a Premiership footballer until 2006, hundreds of games, unlucky to be behind Seaman in international consideration. The one non Revie player included in Leeds fans all time team, also on Palace's all time team, and described by Moyes as his greatest signing at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

While we could argue about the order, on the other hand they have some good inclusions.

Lucas Radebe included, possibly a bit forgotten now but not by Leeds fans, a class act. A few others that passed through Leeds like Hasselbaink and Fowler in there too.

The one omission that Leeds fans might argue should be in is Nigel Martyn, a Premiership footballer until 2006, hundreds of games, unlucky to be behind Seaman in international consideration. The one non Revie player included in Leeds fans all time team, also on Palace's all time team, and described by Moyes as his greatest signing at Everton.

Would definitely have Martyn ahead of Tim Howard who is on the list

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Would definitely have Martyn ahead of Tim Howard who is on the list

There's a few keepers on that list that should be behind Martyn, think Schmiechel and Seaman would be ahead alright on the basis of their success. Friedel was another great keeper over hundreds of games and don't see him.

Advertisement