Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Mattress- Battery Powered Pump and manual foot pump- Tesco Brands incompatible?

• 17-10-2014 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Over the last 2 years I accumulated various camping items from Tesco. When I finally get to use them it appears there is an incompatibility between the foot pump and the Air Mattress.

Embedded below you will see close up photos of all the connectors...

Below is an image of the air mattress socket

1zxocoj.jpg

Below is an image of the Battery Powered pump. The middle connector there fits the air mattress perfectly.

rlhu1i.jpg

Now here is the foot pump

9sqmtu.jpg

Here is the outlet connection for the foot pump

2re2yi1.jpg

Here is both battery pump and foot pump connectors side by side for comparison

213ls8n.jpg

Intriguingly and frustratingly, the foot pump connector is ever so slightly too small for the air mattress by say a mm or less.

So whats going on ?

The battery for the electric pump was run down so I had to resort to the foot pump.
    Below was my temporary solution because I did not have anything else I could use [like putty for example]. I wrapped a plastic bag around the connector outlet to try make a seal and held it there while someone else pumped... because otherwise pumping just sent air to the room.

256d4l1.jpg

So this thread might be a bit of a rant about incompatibilities but it also poses a question out of a ridiculous situation. Is there not some universal standard for these things ? Air mattress, manual pump and battery powered pump were all Tesco products so why were they not even compatible with one another ?
    How is one supposed to know when buying that one is compatible with the other ? As I already explained and showed, the difference between both pump connectors was minimal. It was an important difference because there was no possibility of an air tight seal but otherwise there was no way to tell using only the eyes.

Can a proper connector or adapter/universal adapter be purchased somewhere which can ensure the foot pump can connect with the air mattress ? ?

Advertisement