Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre broadband in Balymoney and Courtown??

Options
  • 17-10-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Eircoms map says that we are due to get fibre power here this month. Im moving house soon so want to make sure that there is definitely going to be fibre power before I sign a contract. Can't get a straight answer from Eircom when I ask

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

You won't get a straight answer here either as we're depending on the same sources.
    Can't speak for Ballymoney, I wasn't even aware they were extending fibre there, but two cabinets have been installed in Riverchapel so there is definitely progress in the area. The problem is that installation of cabinets and launching of fibre could be months apart, if you check on the Broadband forum you'll see that people have been waiting up to a year after installation of cabinets and even when they do go live, not everybody gets connected.
    Where are you moving to? Broadband in the Courtown/Riverchapel area is rubbish, peak time has dropped to 0.2mbs at times for me so if you're depending on it for work or anything you'd be better off to look at Wicklow Broadband or one of the other wireless providers, who will guarantee 7mbs with low contention, best you'll get here is 3-4 mbs in the early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

This is the eircom wholesale map, and shows the status of cabinets
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Even if cabinets have landed, there can be delays in sorting out the power connections back to the cab. Eircom retail staff (eg social media staff) wouldn't necessarily have access to detailed network plans/layouts. A technician based in the Courtown (or Gorey) exchange would probably be able to tell you which copper cab you are connected to, or if you are connected directly back to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I live in Ballymoney and, as with Marhay70 above, we have a couple of boxes installed in the area. They were done a few months ago and that seems to be it for the moment. I quizzed the installer when they were working int he area and he said we'd have it for September but no sign to date. Our current broadband here is crap and even though I'm supposed to have 3mb broadband, on a good day (rare!!!) I might get a download speed of 200 to 220K. We get all sorts of excuses but it's never their fault apparently. (Have you ever tried ringing Eircom?)
    I have gone to their website and registered an interest for when it arrives. At the time of registration it gave a date and would email me when available. I can't remember what date but I heard nothing. I checked again there now and it said "Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:Oct-14". "Will be"? They said will be the 14th and it's now 19th, so who knows what to expect.

I live in Ballymoney and, as with Marhay70 above, we have a couple of boxes installed in the area. They were done a few months ago and that seems to be it for the moment. I quizzed the installer when they were working int he area and he said we'd have it for September but no sign to date. Our current broadband here is crap and even though I'm supposed to have 3mb broadband, on a good day (rare!!!) I might get a download speed of 200 to 220K. We get all sorts of excuses but it's never their fault apparently. (Have you ever tried ringing Eircom?)
    I have gone to their website and registered an interest for when it arrives. At the time of registration it gave a date and would email me when available. I can't remember what date but I heard nothing. I checked again there now and it said "Good news! eFibre will be available in your area:Oct-14". "Will be"? They said will be the 14th and it's now 19th, so who knows what to expect.
    They mean October 2014, not October 14th. Anyway with every month that passes it's pushed out by another month, map now says Nov.14. I'm going to get wireless when my contract is up if it's not in by then.

jd wrote: »
    This is the eircom wholesale map, and shows the status of cabinets
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Even if cabinets have landed, there can be delays in sorting out the power connections back to the cab. Eircom retail staff (eg social media staff) wouldn't necessarily have access to detailed network plans/layouts. A technician based in the Courtown (or Gorey) exchange would probably be able to tell you which copper cab you are connected to, or if you are connected directly back to the exchange.

Thanks for the map JD. I had an Eircom technician here a couple of weeks ago repairing a fault and he had no idea when fibre would launch, he said there are no Eircom crews working in the area ATM. Apparently KN just install the cabinets and it's Eircom and ESB that commission them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Marhay70 wrote: »
    They mean October 2014, not October 14th. Anyway with every month that passes it's pushed out by another month, map now says Nov.14. I'm going to get wireless when my contract is up if it's not in by then.

Where do you intend to get wireless from. we are waiting on Eircom also.

bido wrote: »
    Where do you intend to get wireless from. we are waiting on Eircom also.

Wicklow Broadband, guy across the road has it says it's very reliable. 100 euro installation fee and 40 euro per month for 7 mbs.
    Latest word from Eircom is, scheduled for November but will definitely be in by January but then they said it would definitely be in by last July so make what you will of that.

Advertisement