Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Guy Martin goes to build a bike

• 17-10-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Yes he divides opinion apparently, but I love the Guy.

Here, he goes to see how bikes are made.

OK it's a mountain bike, but still, if you like him, it's worth 20 mins of your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I find the Bugger-Gripped Wonder entertaining anyway. Rock on! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I like him. I recorded this programme on the spitfire the other night which I still have not watched. He will also have a new series coming out were he built a bike to ride up pikes peak. I read about it in MCN and look forward to channel 4 airing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I love his enthusiasm. The welding bit where he asks if he can bring that bit home is like a 10 year old kid. Very endearing.

He's a real Fred Dibnah for our generation.

The Spitfire programme was good.
    Secret owner got it done. The new propeller alone cost 6 figures!!
    I reckon it was Branson or someone equally minted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the best thing about GM is the fact that he is showing people that riding bikes is fun and raising the profile of motorcycling in a positive way.
    For way too long now bikes have been marginalised in both road traffic and general society.
    Used to be the case that they were a big part of sport, think Sheene, Joey Dunlop etc.
    Now we have a rider competing in the worlds top road series next year and is it even mentioned in any mainstream media?
    Its all good, I just hope that they cover more motorcycling related stuff not just planes and MTB's good and all as they are to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

I like him. I recorded this programme on the spitfire the other night which I still have not watched. He will also have a new series coming out were he built a bike to ride up pikes peak. I read about it in MCN and look forward to channel 4 airing it.

New series of Speed with GM starts on 26th October - can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Pique wrote: »
    I love his enthusiasm. The welding bit where he asks if he can bring that bit home is like a 10 year old kid. Very endearing.

guy martin rebuilds a spitfire . hmmmmmmm

two questions
    1 . Were any parts from the original spitfire used ?

2 . Did guy martin rebuild anything on the spitfire . or did he just screw on a gland ?

thirdly the part with the pin expanded by 0.2mm by been held in your hand is cobblers . good for television ok .

Pique wrote: »

two questions

2 . Did guy martin rebuild anything on the spitfire . or did he just screw on a gland ?

thirdly the part with the pin expanded by 0.2mm by been held in your hand is cobblers . good for television ok .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

figs666 wrote: »

two questions

Who said guy martin rebuilt it? :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Who said guy martin rebuilt it? :pac:

channel 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

figs666 wrote: »

two questions

It showed him using a crimping machine to bend one of the wing members.

He did the radial grinding on the pin IIRC, he is a pretty handy diesel mechanic stands to reason he is able to use lathes and machining equipment.
    I don't have a problem with him doing stuff for TV, its not like he is going to singlehandly rebuild a Spitfire now is it?

There is far bigger pricks on TV than guy and at least he is part of a sport I love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When is the building a bike show on?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think in a world full of show biz bull**** and fake assholes, he is a breath of fresh air TBH. Straight as an arrow and no bull****......wish there were more like him on TV. As long as he does decent TV and no STRICTLY COME DANCING ****e I will watch him all day long.

Advertisement