Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 digit activation code for Irish tuning

• 17-10-2014 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi I just got a tv and I'm setting it up now at the mo, I need a 4 digit activation code for Irish tuning to receive Saorview on it,

Its a freeview and saorview tv when i click Ireland on the set up it says enter the code on the receipt and I cant go any further

It says check the receipt but the receipt has a number to call England to get it (too late now at this time)

Does anybody know the code? this is the TV ... http://www.currys.ie/Product/jvc-lt2...er/322907/6.10

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Activation code? Don't think I've seen a TV ask for that.

Is there a code in the manual?

Maybe try basic default passwords like 0000, 1111, 1234, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Tried all them type codes all ready, there's no code in the manual it says ... your code can be found on your receipt, in store or call the service team ... all too late for now

byte

That is quite wierd. Apart from Currys, I know of no other retailer who sells JVC TV in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Hi I just got a tv and I'm setting it up now at the mo, I need a 4 digit activation code for Irish tuning to receive Saorview on it,

Its a freeview and saorview tv when i click Ireland on the set up it says enter the code on the receipt and I cant go any further

It says check the receipt but the receipt has a number to call England to get it (too late now at this time)

Does anybody know the code? this is the TV ... http://www.currys.ie/Product/jvc-lt2...er/322907/6.10

Thanks.

As stated above the default code is normally 0000

I tried 0000 and every other 4 digit number I can think of, none work I need a specific code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I tried 0000 and every other 4 digit number I can think of, none work I need a specific code?

Did you buy it from a store?

Did you look on the receipt?

If not contact the store and question it, if they cant find out then bring the tv back.

Did you buy it from a store?

Did you look on the receipt?

If not contact the store and question it, if they cant find out then bring the tv back.

Did you read the first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭swoofer

Try 6666 and if that do not work do a factory reset

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The website says that the TV is Irish Digital ready so apparently you won't get Saorview on it unless it says it is Saorview approved.

The only way to get any Irish channels on this TV is to manually scan them from your nearest transmitter.

How did you get the TV yourself? Did you buy it online or from a Curry's outlet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

... apparently you won't get Saorview on it unless it says it is Saorview approved.

How has this become apparent to you?

• Advertisement

Yeah just got it from Curry's Blanchardstown, I'll drop in to them tomorrow to sort this out and I'll post back what they say.

Did you read the first post?

I'll be honest, I was reading this thread on my phone and based my reply on the replies to the thread, never actually saw the first post.

My bad! Ignore my post...

I'll be honest, I was reading this thread on my phone and based my reply on the replies to the thread, never actually saw the first post.

My bad! Ignore my post...

No problem, thanks for trying to help anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Thurston? wrote: »
    How has this become apparent to you?

If a TV has a tuner that is "Irish Digital Ready", you won't be guaranteed all of the Irish channels that are available on Saorview will be on it. You would probably get a handful of them at most if you're lucky. This TV that the OP is getting does not have the Saorview approved firmware or hardware as part of it's spec.

Irish Digital ready TV's are also known to have a Standard PAL tuner. They are practically useless on it's own unless you have another set top box as an addition to it or get a replacement TV with a built-in Saorview tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

If a TV has a tuner that is "Irish Digital Ready", you won't be guaranteed all of the Irish channels that are available on Saorview will be on it. You would probably get a handful of them at most if you're lucky.

Sure wouldn't they all fit in a handful? Why would some be missing?
    Irish Digital ready TV's are also known to have a Standard PAL tuner.

PAL is a colour system for analogue TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 telloscooby

off the top of my head i think its something like 8845 or 8854.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If a TV has a tuner that is "Irish Digital Ready", you won't be guaranteed all of the Irish channels that are available on Saorview will be on it. You would probably get a handful of them at most if you're lucky. This TV that the OP is getting does not have the Saorview approved firmware or hardware as part of it's spec.

Irish Digital ready TV's are also known to have a Standard PAL tuner. They are practically useless on it's own unless you have another set top box as an addition to it or get a replacement TV with a built-in Saorview tuner.

None of the TVs in my house are Saorview approved and none of them even came with the tag "Irish Digital Ready", the oldest early 2008, and all receive Saorview OK, including the so called hidden channels.

Retailers, including Currys and Powercity, have been using the "Irish Digital Ready" tag since before the Saorview approval process was put in place and simply means the TV hasn't gone through the process but will work OK with Saorview.

Saorview's caveat is they may not work with future Saorview services and won't receive any ota SSU updates and of course to support manufacturers who pay a rumoured €20,000 to put a product through the approvals process.

Regarding PAL, as Thurston posts above, that's analogue nothing to do with Saorview.

I got the activation code today, It was on the sticker displaying the price/spec etc. of the tv, I'll post it here in case anyone else in the future has this problem ...

The activation code is 8541

byte

It's quite a stupid "feature" to have on the TV anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

So what does the code actually do? More important does it stop any non Irish features and can you de-activate it if necessary?

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »
    So what does the code actually do? More important does it stop any non Irish features and can you de-activate it if necessary?

Plug in new tv turn on,
    Set up automatically starts
    Language English
    Country Ireland
    POP UP APPEARS ... Enter you 4 digit code
    (cant do anything till you enter the code)
    Enter the code
    Searches for channels
    All the same channels, tv and music in the same order as the Saorview box

Nice picture from it - restore to factory settings option in the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I got the activation code today, It was on the sticker displaying the price/spec etc. of the tv, I'll post it here in case anyone else in the future has this problem ...

if i were you OP, i'd write that on the back of the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Bought a jvc tv in currys today, at checkout shop asst wrote the above code on the receipt & said it was a one time activation code.

Probably to prevent people stealing tv's, if they steal them and don't have the code then the tv is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

Is this activation code only required for Saorview? This TV is Freeview and Saorview so is the code required also for Freeview?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As an update, I got a tv today and had to enter a code to tune it
    The tuning did feck all due to an antenna issue.
    When I corrected it and went to tune again I was again asked for the code, so not a one time thing.
    Very stupid thing if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭decor58

when you put in the code, can you then switch off the code lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Thanks this thread. Mrs bought one of these pieces of crap at least we have channels on it now.

6 years later and I just inherited a JVC from a friend's sister and this code worked. THANK YOU!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Sounds to me as if the 'activation code' is to prevent a 'Saorview' setup in a non Saorview area. i.e. In Ireland it orders the channels as per irish epg.

Has anyone tried selecting a different country (UK for e.g.) at installation to see if it still requires an activation code ?

Advertisement