Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Fooling Around!

Options
  • 17-10-2014 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

It's Friday night and I have decided to start a blog. I want to try to keep this blog up to date as a way of keeping me on track with my training and to stay somewhat consistent.

Some background:
    27 years old and started running about 3 years ago coming from a sporting background and being relatively active and slim (skinny fecker)...in 2011 I done a few races that summer, 5 milers and 5k etc but nothing never took it seriously. I also never really trained well enough to make any progression.

2012 was a similar year except now i was determined to try every race on the calendar from Dungarvan 10 to Ballycotton and most of the BHAA races. Again, training was minimal, maximum 20 miles per week. Was running around 79 minutes for a 10 miler that year.

2013 - the year I decided to take on a marathon. As per my current running history, training hard and consistent was not my thing so I was determined to change that in the Cork City marathon. A few weeks into my marathon plan in March I was struck by the deadly 'Plantar Fasciitis' which absolutely crippled me for weeks. In May I finally got back running an with time running out, I ran a 20 miler, raced a half marathon in 1.44 in Limerick and then set about the marathon with 4 hours in mind. I blew up badly (as expected) around 21 miles and crawled home in 4.15.

2014 - This year started bright for me. In November and December I started running a lot more consistent albeit slowly. On Dec 27th I ran a 5k and didnt do very well, around 21.5x. Then it struck me...A hallelujah moment in my running career. If I wanted to lower my times I needed to better training plan. One that included some faster work, some intervals, LT and long runs etc. So for the next 4 weeks thats what I did.

I ran in the Dungarvan 10 and smashed a PB by running 70 minutes and some seconds. I was thrilled and finally realized that the training was having an affect. For the next few months I went a bit mad on the short fast running and didnt gain too much time. This time I was starting to realize that my aerobic conditioning was weak. So I set about fixing that. My next target to was to break 20 minutes for a 5k. In August this year, I ran 19.57 off the back of a few weeks working on longer runs and some track work.

At the start of the year I had the following goals which I wasnt sure If I would reach.

Marathon: Sub 4
    10 Miles: Sub 70
    5K: Sub 20
    Join a Club

So as of now I have reached all my targets above (well not the 10 miler yet but only cause there is no ten mile race) so its time to start a new plan.
    I finally think I have started to understand running and what it takes to improve...So, that being said I am going to set myself some lofty targets this year.Here goes:

Distance: 10 Miles
    Target: Sub 65 mins
    Where: Dungarvan, Mallow or Ballycotton

Distance: 4 miles
    Target: Sub 25
    Where: Somewhere flat

Distance: 5k
    Target: Sub 19
    Where: Marina

Distance: Half Mar
    Target: Sub 1.30
    Where: Cork City Half Mar

Right so thats the target. The plan to get there will be a dosage of 50+ miles starting in November until after Christmas. Would like to test my body as well to see how much mileage I can actually handle week in week out, as I have never tested this out, Im thinking somewhere around 65m per week, but we'll see. All I know is that if I can put in consistent miles with a variety of training runs (fast, slow, tempo etc) then I have a lot more improving to do.

Oh and I also joined a club this year even though I haven't been in a while it really is fantastic and helps so much. I cant wait to go back for the winter sessions.

If anyone has any input feel free to add it below...Cheers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck with the log and your goals. Sounds like you have potential so stick with it and be patient. ( says the lady that never sticks with it) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Ok so I named my log "No more fooling around" but actually I should have held off writing it until November because next weekend I will be fooling around again. After 2 previous marathons I should really know what to do by now but next Mon 27th I will be running Dublin City Marathon having done almost no preparation.

I have done this before and back then I swore I would never put my body through such pain and suffering without ample preparation. Ideally a marathoner should be pounding out 40,50, 60 miles a week for 3-4 months to condition every part of their body for the sufferfest that is running 26.2 miles

In the last 3 weeks I have gotten a 17 miler and a 15 miler under my belt which I guess is somewhat of a help. As I type this, I have just come from googling 'Inverse taper for marathon' in a last ditch gasp to get some advice on how to train in the final week before a marathon.
    But who am I kidding, I know well by now, that training at this stage will have little affect next Monday. In any case, I am off out for another 15 mile run nice and handy. I will finish out the week with some easy running to keep the legs fresh and active.

I can only hope and pray that the exercise I have undertaken during the rest of the year is sufficient to keep me fit enough to run a marathon. I always find the monotony of running long slow miles boring which I why I have never liked marathon training.
    Who knows, maybe training is all a myth! It certainly saved me a lot of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

May I ask why you have decided on such a bizarre decision and what you hope to achieve.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    May I ask why you have decided on such a bizarre decision and what you hope to achieve.

I signed up long ago but stuff got in the way which made me jack the running for a while.

I'm running it because I'm going to enjoy it, sadistically. Im also going to enjoy a few pints afterwards. If I don't enjoy running then I stop running. I realise I won't get much out of this but hey running is a hobby to me, not an unrelenting obsession to get Pbs at all costs. I also realize I could get hurt or injured but I'm not stupid enough to put myself under that kind of pressure

Dublin City Marathon 2014 Report:

Gonna keep this report short and sweet, similar to the training I did for this event.

DCM 14 was my first attempt at Dublin marathon after viewing it a few times down thorugh the years and I must say I am very impressed with it as a marathon. Definitely the best in Ireland in terms of support and overall organisation/setup. As per earlier posts, my prep for this was non-existent as I had stopped running for approx 7 weeks. Anyway, I decided to plough ahead and just enjoy the event which I did...It was painful for the last 7 miles which I kinda expected. My calves cramped badly for the last couple of miles which forced me to stop running a number of times.

All in all, a very mediocre performance that was expected in advance. Am happy with the overall experience and I am sure I will be stronger in the legs for it down the line.

Finish time: 3:48

Try to get back to the training now and will focus on Waterford Half in 5 weeks...

• Advertisement

Right just keeping this thing ticking along...

2nd Nov:
    Tonight went or my first proper run since the marathon and left ankle seems to be quite sore...Hopefully, its just some light damaged tissue which can be rubbed out as it doesn't give any pain when walking which is usually a good sign.
    Plan for the week ahead is/was to ramp up the mileage to mid 40's again...Also, planning to get back to the track Friday night...

Note to self: Dig out the under-armour tops as winter is coming!!!!!

Mon 3rd Nov
    8 miles with 3 miles at tempo pace. The tempo felt quite hard, although this was more down to stomach cramping due to eating before going running.

Tue 4th Nov
    7 miles Easy..included some strides...Legs not feeling great. Tough enough that I have decided to cancel running on Wed and will give the legs a break until Thurs night. Need to freshen up.

Thurs 6th Nov
    7 miles - Steady pace. Overall pace was probably steady but I pushed it hard at times.

Friday 7th Nov
    3m warm up, fartlek for 4 miles... Wanted to get back to the track tonight but had to change plans. Instead opted to do 5 x 1k with 2 mins rest. After the 1st interval, I changed the plan. My ankle is still very weak and still niggling in pain every time I have to run over a crack/uneven surface. Makes it very hard to run fast. Carried on just running in short bursts of speed for a couple of mins, then easy etc.

Total Miles: 30 [skipped long run due to ankle]

Summary:
    DCM has taken a lot out of my legs. I knew there was a high risk of getting injured by running it on little training and am starting to face the music now. My left ankle is carrying some kind of knock. Although i can run on it, it twinges every now and again and feels quite weak particularly if I roll it inwards. Fast running on this will be impossible. Decided to skip the running for the rest of the weekend to rest the ankle and legs. As well as the ankle, my legs feel very lethargic. Hamstrings and tight, calves as well. What the hell is going on? Never felt like this before. Need to stretch and foam roll badly and get the legs loosened out somehow. Total miles for the week is just 30. Also, ran too fast too often this week. Some easy running is the only way forward right now until the ankle heals and the legs feel strong again.

Mon 10th Nov
    12 miles Easy. After a 2 day break over the weekend, I was hoping tonight that I would be back and ready to knock out a longish easy run. Well, the legs were lethargic again!! I feel like a 65 year old. After 5 miles I stopped to stretch and could feel the tightness in my calves and hamstrings and my ankle, although better, the ankle is still niggling. I probably pushed it too hard last week speed-wise when I should have been doing nothing but easy gentle running. Stupid :mad:

Priority this week is to get fresh. Lots of stretching and foam rolling.

Mileage is going to be low again this week but I have to recover before I can push on again. Waterford half marathon on the 6th is starting to look ominous. My target SHOULD be sub 1.35 but I'm not confident right now. 7:15 minute miles could break me at the moment

Open to comments from anyone regarding recovering after a marathon and getting back to the swing of things...A quick google seems to suggest around 3 weeks before ramping back up to normal mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Cona wrote: »
    Mon 10th Nov
    12 miles Easy. After a 2 day break over the weekend, I was hoping tonight that I would be back and ready to knock out a longish easy run. Well, the legs were lethargic again!! I feel like a 65 year old. After 5 miles I stopped to stretch and could feel the tightness in my calves and hamstrings and my ankle, although better, the ankle is still niggling. I probably pushed it too hard last week speed-wise when I should have been doing nothing but easy gentle running. Stupid :mad:

Priority this week is to get fresh. Lots of stretching and foam rolling.

Mileage is going to be low again this week but I have to recover before I can push on again. Waterford half marathon on the 6th is starting to look ominous. My target SHOULD be sub 1.35 but I'm not confident right now. 7:15 minute miles could break me at the moment

Open to comments from anyone regarding recovering after a marathon and getting back to the swing of things...A quick google seems to suggest around 3 weeks before ramping back up to normal mileage

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend 3+ weeks from the sounds of your story especially when you were undertrained going into it. I definitely wouldn't be doing any hard sessions like you have been. Right now is a recovery phase and any mileage you're doing should be easy. Otherwise you might find yourself in a hole of overtraining and that is a major pain in the a$$.

Watch that ankle. It sounds like a slight sprain. A trip to a physio wouldn't go astray. I have a wealth of experience when it comes to ankle sprains(well into double figures of sprains). If you don't strengthen and rehab them properly. They become a recurring nightmare.

Advertisement