Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind farms

Options
  • 18-10-2014 6:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭

What's the general opinion of wind farms? I have some going up beside me and I'm not going to take €5000 so that my property is greatly devalued.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Whereabouts are you, would imagine there are bettter locations around the country for a windfarm.

Can't see how it would devalue property though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭Deano7

bladespin wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you, would imagine there are bettter locations around the country for a windfarm.

Can't see how it would devalue property though.

Moynalty. Would u buy a property with a wind turbine in the back garden? I wouldn't.

I wouldn't have a problem with that, I used to build them for peoples back gardens lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

I know people who are potentially going to be affected by the turbines, and it seems in North Meath its going to be a serious issue, with landowners seemly going to reap the benefits financially, and homeowners property values take a beating, serious enough for Meath GAA not to except sponsorship from a windfarm company!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I have no opinion really on the windfarm issue, admittedly thats possibly because they'll be nowhere near me but I can see a lot of the local complaints being justified. Just notice a thing or two about the anti-turbine side though.

Why do the vehemently anti-wind turbine give themselves a fairly neutral sounding name of "Windfarm Information Group" when they are anything but informative, simply biased and one sided? Its as though they seek to give themselves extra authority or legitimacy by adopting such a name.

Also, is the argument of "My family have been on this land for 1000 years, and will be here for 1000 more, these turbines will reduce the value of my property" not a bit contradictory? If you are so strongly attached to the area, why are you so concerned about selling?

• Advertisement

I'm just struggling with the practicality of it, Meath doesn't really have sufficient windspeed to make them viable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭paulski999

Just to add to the debate...

Please see pics on FB page (link below), as they say a picture paints a thousand words.... This proposed Wind Farm is on my doorstep (North Meath) totals 46 turbines over 169m tall (each over 550 feet tall)

It will be a blight on the landscape not to mention the noise and glare from 46 turbines running 24 hours 7 days a week. They are being put in for 30 years!!

This is on an industrial scale, there are so many more in the pipeline in counties Offaly, Kildare, Westmeath, Laois & Meath, and this is only from one company. http://greenwire.ie/greenwire-wind-energy/wind-farm-locations/

Check out FB page and the pics therein come from the company who wants to install them!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Meath-Windfarm-Information-Group/149802808550984?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭paulski999

bladespin wrote: »
    I'm just struggling with the practicality of it, Meath doesn't really have sufficient windspeed to make them viable IMO.

Have to agree, look at Wind Speed Atlas -> http://maps.seai.ie/wind/

The areas proposed are not that "windy"

• Registered Users Posts: 16 windnoiseinfo

check out www . windnoise . info for a map of the noise impact

Advertisement