Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment on Kevin Street or North Great Georges Street?

Options
  • 18-10-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone!
    I'm hoping someone can help me...
    I want to buy an apartment in Dublin (one bed is all I can afford)
    and have been looking at various places.
    I'm pretty set on one in lower kevin street but have some reservations:
    1. Is the area safe? (i'm from the country so naturally terrified of everything in the big smoooke!!!)is it safe to walk home at night -- there's a lot of social housing around there but they seem quite settled.
    2. If kevin street DIT moves out will my property massively decrese in value?
    3. is a one bad apartment really such a terrible investment? (it's all i can afford)

Also, I saw an amazing place on North Great Georges street -- beautiful high ceilings, loads of space and light but I've been warned that it's very dangerous around there and will be hard to sell. Is this true?

Any advice anybody has would be hugely appreciated, or if anybody could recommend any affordable, central areas that are safe that would be great

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭assetcolum

Both are kips to be honest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Kevin street is not the nicest place by a long shot but safe enough imo it is a pretty busy area, with a large garda station close by helps as well. Would be on my walking route home from town, never seen any overly unsavoury charachters hanging about tbh. Plenty of social housing about but like you say it also seems fairly settled to me as well.

It is pretty close to the city center so I don't think that a possible DIT move would affecr future saleability/rent potential all that much. If the price is right I wouldn't discount it.

Don't know North Georges street all that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I lived on Hill Street, which is one street over from Nth Great Georges Street, for 5 years. Yeah, the area is a bit run down, but I never had any problems. I used to walk home at all hours of the night.

I now live reeeasonably close to Kevin Street, for the last 5 years, and I love the area. Again, no problems.

Some will say the areas are dangerous, rough, scary etc.. but a lot of it is down to individual perception.
    Both great locations IMO.

I wouldn't worry about owning a 1 bed. I own a 1 bed (the one on HIll Street), and have watched it drop in value, and now it's going back up. Swings and roundabouts. It's always been very easy to rent out should you ever decide to go down that road..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kevin street would be my preference, air of vitality around it with all the young people going to DIT. That said they will all be gone to the new campus in Grangegorman in a few years so the area will change a bit after they are gone. Perhaps something to consider.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I would say they are around equal in terms of inner city 'edginess', give me the architectural heritage of n Georges St any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I've lived on North Great Georges St for 4 years now, I really enjoy it. The buildings are gorgeous, particularly any of the older ones that have been left intact but re-furbed and let as apartments.
    There's an off licence at the bottom of the road so you get some winos and bums hanging around there from time to time but they are so out of it that they are no harm to anyone.
    I'm from close enough to town on the north side originally so I've kinda been used to the area all my life - most D4 twats would think its ghetto around the immediate area, but its far from it.
    The biggest gripe I have is parking, its a nightmare as I cant get a permit so spend a fortune with the DCC on Parking Tag or meters. Killer.

Advertisement