Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I spin fish for bass from the beach

• 18-10-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭

I am thinking if getting a spin rod for bass instead of a bait caster. But the worry I have is that the 9'apin rod I'm looking at with 25-50gramme weight(roughly) would be able to cast out behind my beachs surf. It is very rough at times and sometimes has even 4-5 breakers on it. Will the spin rod of this weighted lure be able to cast out that far. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Better make your mind up soon, Santa will need to finalise his list :D

You should have no problem casting lures with a 9ft rod. A pair of waders might help though for fishing from the shore.

Have a look at some videos on YouTube to get an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

25-50g could be a bit of a poker!
    That said, manufacturers ratings mean very little when it comes to lure rods. You need to feel and try out.
    You really need a nice light balanced outfit... 20lb (0.13mm) braid & a pair of waders! You may find that soft lures will cast better than many hard lures...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭killintime

nor i use a beachcaster rod an a set os waders an walk out as fare as you can an be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I don't bass fish so I'm only saying what I've been told but distance isn't always the way for bass fishing on beaches.
    A fella I know on this site is a avid beach angler and he's caught some monsters 10-15 yards from where he standing in a foot of water.
    Same with most fishing the fish aren't always miles away.
    Just be sure they're in season as I am aware some beaches have seasons for bass

ya you can get them in near but it dose deprnd on were your fishing too you mite need to cast out more than you normly wd but go with what your happy with at the end of the day its you that will be fishing for them

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

A carp rod with a 2.75lb test curve is a great rod for casting and spinning for bass.Ive had good success from Laytown beach and also from the rocks at our ladies statue at Dollymount on an incomming tide.Ive also spun from the rock at 5 mile point on a very high tide when the doggies werent biting on the surfcasting rod.Caught a nice 3lb schoolie on the carp rod from those rocks last summer.

thats true kelly never tough about that as there a half dozen in the shead so many rods for to many things god be with the days when all you had was a fiberglass rod an if you were lucky a bambo one everything was easer no tc hehe

Advertisement