Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lap usb charger

Options
  • 18-10-2014 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/lap-usb-charger-grid-module-white.html

I am thinking of getting one of these as I think it would be fairly handy to have at my beside. Firstly is lap a reputable decent brand I've never personally used them.

As for fitting one of these. It's a modular fitting I obviously need a modular plate which is grand. But will a standard single dry lining box do for this will it be deep enough like this one.
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/geze-gleitschiene-ts-5000-ts3000v-silberfarben.html

Finally the output is 5v do these just take a standard 230v supply. My plan is too put it a bit above an end of line socket and loop a supply from that. I know on the circuit there is only 3 sockets on it so there will be no issues with overloading or anything like that. Also there is a crawl space behind the wall so I have easy access. The reason im asking is I know some of these are supposed to be supplied by a fused spur. Just wondering is this the case with the lap one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Would one of these not be simpler, just change an existing socket?

Most of the wholesalers have them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It would work alright but I was planning on adding a socket to this spot anyway but since I was only going to be using it to charge my phone that the above would work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I note they don't give specs on the power output.
    A normal usb charger can supply 500mA which is fine for most devices except some of the the newer tablets that require 2400mA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Steve wrote: »
    I note they don't give specs on the power output.
    A normal usb charger can supply 500mA which is fine for most devices except some of the the newer tablets that require 2400mA.

It does it written on the actual charge module itself output 5v and 2.1 amp so that not too bad would still charge a tablet reasonably quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Doh, I never copped that.

Looks good so.

As for your original question, buy the charger first then go to woodies and see if it will fit in a socket box. I'd say it will, there are only two depths of boxes available - normally for sockets and lightswitches.

Not sure as to the regs wrt a fused spur in front of it, plenty of folks here that know more than me on that one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement