Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Purchased online

Options
  • 18-10-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can give me advice on where I stand on the following issue or what I should do.

Ok,

I was looking at a certain laptop PC on Pricespy. For anyone not familiar with it, it's a site that links to the cheapest place to buy items from.

So i found a PC that I wanted to purchase(there was plenty of info on all the specs etc of the machine) and clicked on the link which transported me to a vendors site. The vendors site gave no info on the laptops specs or anything. There was a picture of what I thought was a generic laptop(the fact that there was no info of specifications etc led me to believe it was a generic picture)

Anyway, completed the purchase. The laptop duly arrived. It was supposed to have an Intel processor. the box had a stamp on it for an AMD processor. After calling a friend who knows about these matters I decided I'd be happy enough with the AMD processor as he said there wasn't nuch difference nowadays.

On booting up the PC, I found that it didn't have windows as it's OS (operating software). Instead it had Ubuntu. As i run several different programs for my business that aren't Ubundu friendly, I decided I couldn't use the machine.

Rang the vendor and they say that I got the laptop that i purchased on their site. (Fair enough). They reckon it's Pricespys mistake for linking to the wrong machine and that they aren't responsible for 3rd party websites etc. etc.

They say they wont swap the machine for the same one with windows. I'd be happy enough if they would do that. i'd even be willing to cover all delivery costs etc.

Have I any comeback here or is it my own tough luck for not making sure what i was buying.

Any advice gladly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

From citizens advice centre
    You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 14 days, which begins on the day that you receive the goods. In the case of a service, the cooling-off period begins on the day the contract for distance selling was concluded.

In the case of digital content, the cooling-off period expires when the downloading or streaming starts.

During the cooling-off period, you can cancel a distance contract without giving a reason and without incurring charges or penalties, other than possible charges incurred in returning the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

so what does that fact that I opened the box and booted up the machine mean.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Goods should be returned in a saleable condition. So, you could argue that opening up the box & booting the laptop means that it's been used.

TBH, the lack of specs on the vendor's website should have stopped you. If the retailer won't accept a return, I'd probably sell it privately, or install Windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Agreed. Just install Windows on it. Your knowledgeable friend should be able to sort that for you.

Advertisement