Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 turning into a kip?

Options
  • 18-10-2014 9:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have been working overseas for the last few years and i had the intention to purchase property in Dublin 15

However i have heard from various sources from the area that it is going down the drain

Lots of social issues,mass immigration,high crime rate, burglaries etc

I have been put off by that talk and not to mention the prices some people are looking for in estates that " accept rent allowance "

Could anyone from the area shed some light on this???

Am i being wound up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

I'd say like any other place in Dublin, D15 has its good and bad spots.

Where exactly are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Where in Dublin 15? The area is probably as varied as Dublin itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City to Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mathiasb wrote: »
    I'd say like any other place in Dublin, D15 has its good and bad spots.

Where exactly are you looking?

Precisely! I live in Dublin 15 and work in a "good" part of Dublin 2 and the area of those two that's gone down most is the area around my office! Sounds like the person who told the OP what they did doesn't actually live in the area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭assetcolum

athtrasna wrote: »
    Precisely! I live in Dublin 15 and work in a "good" part of Dublin 2 and the area of those two that's gone down most is the area around my office! Sounds like the person who told the OP what they did doesn't actually live in the area!

The majority of the people who told me are from the Clonee/Ongar area

I know a few from Clonsilla/Castleknock who don't have as much complaints as the other,but still complaints none the less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Find me someone in any city that doesn't have some sort of complaint. There's nothing particularity wrong with Dublin 15 that you won't find anywhere else.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Find me someone in any city that doesn't have some sort of complaint. There's nothing particularity wrong with Dublin 15 that you won't find anywhere else.

I understand that, but the sources from Clonee have major complaints though

Like purchasing a house and then have both your neighbors next to you living off the state in the same kind of property you have which you work hard for

Also one of them states both his neighbors don't even speak any English !!!!!!

I highly doubt this is common place across " any city "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

assetcolum wrote: »

Like purchasing a house and then have both your neighbors next to you living off the state in the same kind of property you have which you work hard for

Also one of them states both his neighbors don't even speak any English !!!!!!

I highly doubt this is common place across " any city "

Some estates are like that all over the city. The estate I live in isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I have been working overseas for the last few years and i had the intention to purchase property in Dublin 15

Why had you the intention? Are you from D15 originally?

Why not go out and have a look at areas you knew before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dublin 15 has seen a huge population increase over the past 10 years or so and that brings with it social problems. Personally I don't see anything here that isn't an issue elsewhere. I have friends in all parts of Dublin, good and bad, and they have the same issues we have here. I suppose it all comes down to what you consider a "problem", I don't see immigration as a bad thing, if anything I think the mix of cultures has added to the area. Rent allowance would be common in my estate but again, no issues with that from what I can see.

Your post comes across more of a rant about foreign nationals and people on welfare which you will get in any part of Dublin. Perhaps you should set your sights on somewhere more affluent so you won't have to mix with our sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

However i have heard from various sources from the area that it is going down the drain

I have been put off by that talk and not to mention the prices some people are looking for in estates that " accept rent allowance "

Am i being wound up?

Pot, meet Kettle.

What DOES actually appeal to you about living in D15? You sound very negative about it altogether.

I think you would be better looking elsewhere for a house. It sounds like you are setting out to find a problem with D15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Am i being wound up?

Estates don't accept rent allowance,individual landlords do. You could buy a house in Castleknock and your neighbour could decide to 'take rent allowance'.
    What is wrong with unemployed people anyway? We have 11% unemployment and that figure is skewed by job-bridge and other tactics.
    "Mass' immigration? I hardly think so. :D

Omackeral wrote: »
    Pot, meet Kettle.

I work on Oil rigs pal

I don't just land into the country that offers the most welfare benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I work on Oil rigs pal

I don't just land into the country that offers the most welfare benefits

So you want to live in an all white area with Irish people who all work. Good luck finding that anywhere in Dublin mate.

eviltwin wrote: »
    So you want to live in an all white area with Irish people who all work. Good luck finding that anywhere in Dublin mate.

Doesn't have to be all white

Aslong as people work and are not benefits layabouts /welfare tourists

What's your budget?

amdublin wrote: »
    What's your budget?

I've got 100k deposit

The less i borrow the better as i don't want a big mortgage but will be buying sometime next year

200k max id say

Good luck.

Your requirements are way above your budget. Champagne ideas on lemonade budget.

I was going to suggest you need to look outside of Dublin 15 because of your attitude to D15 but sure you can't really afford much in Dublin - D15 or not....

What kind of dwelling are you looking for on that budget?

PS. With that budget you are looking at baaaad parts of D15. i.e. You won't get Clonsilla or Castleknock.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The majority of the people who told me are from the Clonee/Ongar area

I know a few from Clonsilla/Castleknock who don't have as much complaints as the other,but still complaints none the less

I've lived in Ongar for the last three years and before that was in Castaheaney.

We've had no crime, and I've not heard of any instances in the two estates I've lived in.

As to the percentage of foreigners in the estate, what I've noticed is that its about 50/50 but the majority are here for the long term, to me a problem are would be places where you have alot of 1 year leases and constant turnover. We seem to have a good mix of owners and renters.

• Advertisement

Good luck.

Your requirements are way above your budget. Champagne ideas on lemonade budget.

I was going to suggest you need to look outside of Dublin 15 because of your attitude to D15 but sure you can't really afford much in Dublin - D15 or not....

PS. With that budget you are looking at baaaad parts of D15. i.e. You won't get Clonsilla or Castleknock.

You really don't have a clue do you?

A friend bought a 3 bed duplex in Carpenterstown in 2013 for 180k

Some of them now are looking for over 200k but that is asking price, and that's all it is

With the recent CB announcements and budget prices will most definitely drop after January

Keep in my i'm only looking for a 2-3 bed house or apartment

I can spend up to 300k if i want to but id much rather have a mortgage of only 450E per month and still travel the world with work whilst saving up for a 2nd property thank you very much :D:D

Sounds like a lemonade budget alright :D

Okay if you say so. As I said Good Luck!

Oh and also, enjoy living in the middle of all those renters and criminals! :pac: (according to all your early posts)

Good luck.

Just a quick search shows there is quite a few properties within my budget in Castleknock and Clonsilla

Unfortunately i cannot post the URL's because i am not on this forum long enough

But you can see for yourself there is at least 30 properties in Castleknock/Clonsilla for under 200k

And that is before the CB rules come into play in January :D

You really should back up your posts, you come across like you don't have a clue about what is going on in the property market in Dublin 15

Try harder next time :D

Okay :D

Good luck when you come out from behind your computer screen into the real world and are actually trying to buy that perfect property with those perfect neighbours you desire on that budget of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

An uppity racist looking to buy in D15. That'll end well. I suggest you spend another 2 years of your life on the oil rig so you afford to buy away from the riffraff.

Also if you find a nice property call yo the neighbours on both sides and ask for passports and payslips before you commit.

An uppity racist looking to buy in D15. That'll end well. I suggest you spend another 2 years of your life on the oil rig so you afford to buy away from the riffraff.

Also if you find a nice property call yo the neighbours on both sides and ask for passports and payslips before you commit.

So i am a racist because i don't want to spend my hard earned cash on a property surrounded by welfare tourists who live there for free ,while i actually pay my way?

Typical PC brigade comment , someone who has a view different to theirs about mass immigration is of course labelled a racist because you have no valid point to provide in the debate

Is your name Ned Flanders, not enough do gooding for a Sunday is it?

Nobody lives anywhere for free. People that receive social welfare and rent supplement have to pay a percentage of their rent too.

January wrote: »
    Nobody lives anywhere for free. People that receive social welfare and rent supplement have to pay a percentage of their rent too.

A massive 10Euro per week or something like that

Give it over January !

You've no idea. Give what over? You're the one stating untruths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Isn't Clonee in Meath anyway? At least know where your mates are talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement