Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Bag comp interest & Longest tail

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For everything.

If someone wanted to join in last year, after the comp started, i allowed a week of leeway then anything after that took the majority vote of the lads in the comp.

In retrospect i don't see how anyone joining at any date can be a problem. If anything it might be a hindrance as they have a lot of catching up to do. So if someone wants to join in at any point they simply post it here, and i'll add their name to both comps.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭shotie

Cass wrote: »
    For everything.

If someone wanted to join in last year, after the comp started, i allowed a week of leeway then anything after that took the majority vote of the lads in the comp.

In retrospect i don't see how anyone joining at any date can be a problem. If anything it might be a hindrance as they have a lot of catching up to do. So if someone wants to join in at any point they simply post it here, and i'll add their name to both comps.

have no problems with that .
    for longest tail comp is that going to be run until l the end of jan 31st ?

Yup.

The mixed bag goes on till Feb 28th to cover all species and all seasons. As the longest tail is only Pheasant and it's illegal to shoot them after Jan 31st it'll end then.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yup.

The mixed bag goes on till Feb 28th to cover all species and all seasons. As the longest tail is only Pheasant and it's illegal to shoot them after Jan 31st it'll end then.

thats A1 so .that gives everyone a good aul bash at it. top stuff cass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Count me in please.

Edit: I have a bought day at a driven shoot on 7th February, the club is allowed to shoot an extended season.
    I'm sure there's some other shooters in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

For every thing.

Would it not be unfair with regards longest tail?

Someone could get a very long bird near the end of the season, and enter just to win! Just seems a little unfair to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Count me in please.

Edit: I have a bought day at a driven shoot on 7th February, the club is allowed to shoot an extended season.
    I'm sure there's some other shooters in the same boat.

A driven shoot??
    Well can I go buy my pheasants from the butchers then??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

put me in[ mixed bag comp]

Count me in please..
    Done.
    Eddie B wrote: »
    Would it not be unfair with regards longest tail?

Someone could get a very long bird near the end of the season, and enter just to win! Just seems a little unfair to me!
    The majority have spoken, and want it all season long.

Are you competing? I don't have your name down.
    A driven shoot??
    Well can I go buy my pheasants from the butchers then??
    Play nice.
    blackpearl wrote: »
    put me in[ mixed bag comp]
    Already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Done.

The majority have spoken, and want it all season long.

Are you competing? I don't have your name down.

Sure I can put my name down at any time! :P

• Advertisement

So you are? Will i add your name?

i dont think letting pheasants in for feb be very fair or wise a tall the season ends jan surly ull have enough bagged by then, and i think if pheasants are allowed in for driven shoots (7th feb) things could get messy even do its a driven shoot lads could see someone post a pheasant on some day in feb and and think the lad has shot pheasants out of season .people viewing this forum outside could think the same and not realise there been shot from a driven shoot .we have to be carefully enough what we post on public forums as it is without people getting the wrong ideas of us.

What we do is 100% legal and i'll not hide it, something or limit the scope of a comp on the long chance it might be bastardised into something it's not. That'll happen no matter what we do, it's why i ask for guns in the pictures. Look on the hunting forum picture thread. Photos of Pheasants are up already. Anyone reading it will think it's shot out of season until you see the poster lives in the North where the Pheasant season is already in full swing.

If the birds are shot legally in a driven shoot or during the season i see no issue with either. If lads are concerned about some people getting all their quota, well all i can say is it's only the Pheasant and frankly lads not on driven shoots can fill the quota quicker than lads on one.

Of course i'll go with the majority vote on this, but the comp runs until the end of Feb. to cover all species. We all know our seasons and what can and cannot be shot and more importantly when. If some species can be shot "out of season" but legally then i see no problem with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

Quick few questions I don't see teal on the list so was wondering are they going to be classed as duck or are you willing to add them to the latest list also as we all know the deer is on almost 2 months what about someone that has some shot already these hardly count do they thanks

Teal are counted as Duck. I'm not listing any specific species. Same with Deer, Pheasant, etc. Some species will be specific, but that is for clarity or legal reasons.

Anything shot before the opening day of the comp will not be counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

Teal are counted as Duck. I'm not listing any specific species. Same with Deer, Pheasant, etc. Some species will be specific, but that is for clarity or legal reasons.

Anything shot before the opening day of the comp will not be counted.

That's perfect thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Sorry cass but I don't agree with pheasant counts after 31st January and even so a driven shoot shouldn't count. It's not hunting. It's fish in a barrel job.
    Pheasant shot should only count with dog and gun. Not sticks and beaters

Sorry cass but I don't agree with pheasant counts after 31st January and even so a driven shoot shouldn't count. It's not hunting. It's fish in a barrel job.

And what if I haven't got my dog with me, are you not going to count the birds?

We deal with enough ignorance from the antis, we don't need it from fellow shooters please. All of the highest, most difficult game shots I've had have been at driven shoots.

shotie wrote: »
    i dont think letting pheasants in for feb be very fair or wise a tall the season ends jan surly ull have enough bagged by then, and i think if pheasants are allowed in for driven shoots (7th feb) things could get messy even do its a driven shoot lads could see someone post a pheasant on some day in feb and and think the lad has shot pheasants out of season .people viewing this forum outside could think the same and not realise there been shot from a driven shoot .we have to be carefully enough what we post on public forums as it is without people getting the wrong ideas of us.

Agreed

Sorry cass but I don't agree with pheasant counts after 31st January.....
    In retrospect i agree, but not for this reason:
    ........ and even so a driven shoot shouldn't count. It's not hunting. It's fish in a barrel job.
    I don't want to hear about people's versions of "what is a proper hunter". It is not something i like to see, hear, and sure as sh*t don't want on this comp/thread/forum. No one should.

Now i'm not attacking you here and not picking you out, but as you brought it up i'm replying directly to you. How a lad shoots, and what he uses is his business and as fellow hunters we support him, not slate them for not using what others consider to be appropriate.

I agree that Pheasants shouldn't be allowed after their season has ended because, frankly, i've no way of verifying if a lad shot in legally on a driven shoot or not. So to avoid that headache altogether Pheasants will only be counted up to Jan 31st.

This comp has always been run as a bit of fun and i really want to keep it that way. No arguments or hard feelings beforehand. So to that extent here is what i'm doing and this will be final as we simply don't have the time to vote on it.
    • All game will only be counted up to the end of their respective season.
    • Certain game, that falls under derogation, will be counted after their season.
    • No debate on the morality, ethics, righteousness of what is shot and when will be allowed.
    • No questioning another posters entries on thread. If you have a concern report the post and i'll deal with it.

I can already see a lot of issues developing that have never been an issue in previous years. Lads, this is your comp, for you, and for FUN. IT's a bit of friendly competition and an excuse to post a few pictures and have a bit of a chat about the seasons hunting. So please, lets keep it "country" and get on with this and look forward to this Saturday when the green flag drops.

• Advertisement

I agree that Pheasants shouldn't be allowed after their season has ended because, frankly, i've no way of verifying if a lad shot in legally on a driven shoot or not. So to avoid that headache altogether Pheasants will only be counted up to Jan 31st.

this is what i was getting at on my post with lads posting pics of pheasants in feb.i know pics of pheasants are already up but there from the north where there season is already on .i suppose what i was trying to get at was that pheasant season here and up the north would be closed by end of jan and posting pics of pheasant shot in feb without verifying where shot would look like they where shot out of season .im not against driven shoots by any means either if thats what people think im just looking at from a different view .now if you can verify they where shot from a driven shoot some how id go with it. at the end of the day its only for a bit of fun and crack and only for cass running the comps we wouldn't be having them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Cass can I ask have u finalised what the requirements are for each category of game/vermin people have to get to qualify for the competition?

ace86 wrote: »
    Cass can I ask have u finalised what the requirements are for each category of game/vermin people have to get to qualify for the competition?
    Yup.

Thread for the comp is here. I've closed it until we start and stickied it so no one has to go looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 Cbeirne82

Count me in.

Just a day left lads.

Get your names in if interested. Remember there is no pressure to fill it. I only got three things last year (ffs). Shoot as much or as little as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Just a day left lads.

Get your names in if interested. Remember there is no pressure to fill it. I only got three things last year (ffs). Shoot as much or as little as you like.
    Very true. Shooting is just an excuse for been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Just a day left lads.

Very true. Shooting is just an excuse for been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Stick me down thanks and i will see how il do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭223Shooter

Stick me down if I'm not too late Cass, cheers!

• Advertisement

countdown-gif-5.gif

149728.jpg

The entry thread is now open, the comp is on, and best of luck to everyone.

Advertisement