Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible 5 volt circuit in a house

Options
  • 18-10-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Is there any standard to have a 5 v cct. In a house. All the plug in mains trafos seem a bit needless and cumbersome.

Anyone know movement in this area? Seems to me the natural way to go (possibly too for a led lightning ccts.).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It doesn't make sense to have a centralized 5V supply.

Think about it - the 5V supplying say 10 outlets would potentially have to supply 20 amps and need at least 4sq, maybe 6sq drops to avoid brownout.

The same @ 220V could be done over existing socket wiring with local PSU's and no risk of volt drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i know you can get plug sockets that also have usb ports on them so you can charge your devices and usb is 5 volts, but limited to 2 amps per socket. not quite what you were asking, but only thing out there.

ie
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/30/article-2643908-1E5515E000000578-918_634x481.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Steve. Yes, I think you are correct, on reflection. I had not thought that, over time, the load on such a 5 volt circuit, would increase, it could lead to significant volt drop ( it was just a thought I had )

Advertisement