Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for mathematics education enthusiast

Options
  • 18-10-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Mathematical Physics. I have a passion for teaching mathematics and mathematics education theory in general (in particular at secondary school level). I love to talk about maths. Despite this, I do not want to commit to a teaching qualification at the moment (reasons being, I do not feel confident in fulfilling the disciplinary role of a teacher and I hear the masters is a bit of a waste of money and time). I am taking several students for maths grinds at the moment, but otherwise I'm unemployed.

I'm wondering does anybody know of any possible activities I could undertake which would satisfy my passion for "spreading the word" of mathematics, without getting a teaching degree. For example, do you know of maths events that need volunteers? Are there any ways of spreading the word of mathematics?

I am also interested in "mindset" towards mathematics, so not only teaching maths, but motivational theory in general. Motivational coaching. Whenever I did a course in college, I felt like mathematical knowledge was only half the battle to success. I'd like to help people overcome mathematics fear and help them learn ho to be resilient and persevere in problem solving. What can I do to achieve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Look up Maths Eyes. Was a great success in my town lately but I don't know that much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sounds like lecturing might be more your thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onsetofchaos

doc_17 wrote: »
    Sounds like lecturing might be more your thing?

The thing is, I don't want to do a PhD and research in mathematics. It seems that to be a lecturer you must have a PhD and also publish scientific papers. I also don't have the depth of understanding and knowledge of mathematics to be able to teach it at third level (in my opinion). What I did in college was only skimming the surface of mathematics.

My target audience is secondary school students, "get them while they're young". What could I could do to make maths less painful and more enjoyable for that age group...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don't mean to come across as condescending or anything but almost every qualified maths teacher could make maths less painful. The problem is there isn't enough time to get the course done and do that with a class of 30 teenagers, some of whom will hate maths with a passion (something similar to my dislike for languages). I know I do the best I can with worksheets, zondle/mangahigh, real world applications etc but the reality is that the course has to be taught and that is my ultimate job.

Anything you do will need to be outside the classroom and because of that I think you may end up missing a part of your target audience since they won't want to do any sort of "extra" maths. Having said that it can be very rewarding working with students who have an interest!

Advertisement