Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle at the lane...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I think it speaks volume that there hasn't been hardly a post in here in the last 24 hours. The whole team looks like a lost cause... another ****ing season of nothingness.

Our players and our fellow supporters where on auto-pilot mode from the moment AVB was sacked last season and TS was appointed. It was a long 2nd half to the season. Now its more of the same this year.

Remember when we had Pav, Keane, Crouch and Bent as our options up front and we all spent months moaning that they weren't good enough. And Look what we have now ... backwards isnt the fooking word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think it speaks volume that there hasn't been hardly a post in here in the last 24 hours. The whole team looks like a lost cause... another ****ing season of nothingness.

Our players and our fellow supporters where on auto-pilot mode from the moment AVB was sacked last season and TS was appointed. It was a long 2nd half to the season. Now its more of the same this year.

Remember when we had Pav, Keane, Crouch and Bent as our options up front and we all spent months moaning that they weren't good enough. And Look what we have now ... backwards isnt the fooking word for it.

Yeah. They weren't good enough for Champions League team though. We had a few seasons (three) where two of the best players for current Real Madrid team were driving the team. A proper striker was what was needed then. It also seems that Poch was second in line behind Van Gaal in who Levy wanted. Think for it to have any chance of success it would need 18 months to get a team back contending against the very best. Whether Poch is capable of doing this is open to question. Whether he would be allowed to the time to do this is also open to question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

We invested too heavily in a certain type of player post Harry. We are still paying the price for this. Gareth Bale glossed over some major flaws in 2013 but we didn't learn.

Think the idea of AVB was to play 4-2-3-1 - Adebayor/Soldado being the one. Three from the multitude of attacking midfielders - no place for wingers. Missed out on Willian who looked like one of the final jigsaw pieces. Got Lamela instead. Then got rid of AVB.

Soldado not strong enough to play up front alone. No one really knew if Paulinho, Dembele and some others were part of the holding midfield 2 or the attacking midfield 3. Dont think Sherwood knew what he was at at all, throw everything up in the air and see what comes down - Bentaleb.

Poch has a bit of a job to make a system to fit the players he has. Wont happen overnight (if he is the person to do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

We've only played 9 games, Pochettino will get things right. Southampton & West Ham have done remarkably well, Chelsea will walk the league. Every other team looks decidedly average up till now. A couple of wins catapults you back in the fold.

• Advertisement

we were very very lucky to beat both West Ham and Southampton this year. It is an easy argument to make that we are flattered by our current position in the league. I hope he gets it right, and I think there are signs that he will. Will need a lot of patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

It's purely Levy's fault till he goes we'll be 6th-9th from now on.
    So many questionable buys that make zero sense Stambouli/Fazio what is the point.

I feel sorry for Soldado I bet he would kill to have stayed with Valencia at least they had good players who had vision and passed the ball quick.

If I see Adebayor in the next game with the same clueless Inverted/Attacking midfielders behind him Lamela/Eriksen/Chadli I'm not even gonna watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

I wont be wasting any more sat/sunday afternoons waiting in to watch this lot. God help anyone who is traveling over each week. Why do we have to play 4-2-3-1. Every team seems to be playing it, can we not just identify our best players and play them in their best position, be it 4-4-3 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2.

We will never be a top side the way things are going, team is in freefall and the new stadium is just a pipe dream.

Really frustrated & disappointed as we had a chance to kick on and become a great club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Morgans wrote: »
    we were very very lucky to beat both West Ham and Southampton this year. It is an easy argument to make that we are flattered by our current position in the league. I hope he gets it right, and I think there are signs that he will. Will need a lot of patience.

yep. saints missed a few sitters against us and if we played west ham away now they would hammer us

mickman wrote: »
    yep. saints missed a few sitters against us and if we played west ham away now they would hammer us

Baa-dum-tish!:D

• Advertisement

Short of us being bottom of the EPL table at the end of Jan I think sacking Poch would be pointless for everyone - the players, the board, the supporters, the commercial investors.

Do you think there's a mentality amongst the playing staff that because they've seen so many managers come and go in the last 13 years that maybe if they dont like the new managers methods, approach etc that they just say "fook it, Im not keen on this guy, I'm not busting my balls for this guy and he'll be gone before I am" knowing that if the new coach loses the dressing room sure he'll be gone at the end of the season if not before.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    We've only played 9 games, Pochettino will get things right. Southampton & West Ham have done remarkably well, Chelsea will walk the league. Every other team looks decidedly average up till now. A couple of wins catapults you back in the fold.

Your right, a few wins could catapult us back into the mix for a top 7 finish. sure a win at the weekend and we'd all be singing a different tune.

But as you pointed out, every other team looks decidedly average and its only a matter of time before we'd be found out even if we did manage to fluke a few wins on the trot.

We've looked like we are two games away from a crisis ever since HR left if you ask me. Not saying we shouldnt have got rid of HR, its one of the few calls from LEvy that I admire the guy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It's not going to be a pretty season, a lot more shock results to come. I still can't believe Ameobi scored. That defense will píss goals away. Walker's absence hasn't helped, he gave us much needed pace.

Desperately need to find some form, confidence seems to drop immediately after conceding. There was fight at West Ham, haven't really seen much spirit since then.

Squad needs a shuffle, certain players are guaranteed starters, without really having an affect on the game. Ade's inclusion each week is really baffling. He must be awe inspiring in training. But he's not alone.

I'd like to think we could do some business in January by steadying the ship, rarely happens, so a long summer awaits. It'll take several stabs at the window before we see Pochettino's long term vision. Likelihood of that happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

two other points regarding performance last Sunday,
    1)if Harry was backed with money for a striker and centre half when we qualified for champions league we might be in a better position now.Levy took the money and didnt invest when we were near the top of league(4th)

2)the atmosphere in the lower East stand section 24 was abolutely shocking,no cheering for the team,just sitting there ..no passion transfers across to the team.
    end of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

Keane had passion and score goals,I always feel my link with the club goes back to when we had decent Irish or English players in early 1980s who played with heart and skill.just not there at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

first chance to post following bring my youngfella to his first game at the lane… we are shiit. LLoris is wasted at our club and will be off this summer, kaboul being captain is the epitome of where we are at as a club. Eriksen and Lamela have the skill no doubt but would better themselves by being around players who didn't like losing, as it appears the group of idiots earning a wage with us couldn't care less…
    soul-distroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Revenge in the capital one cup fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Short of us being bottom of the EPL table at the end of Jan I think sacking Poch would be pointless for everyone - the players, the board, the supporters, the commercial investors.

Do you think there's a mentality amongst the playing staff that because they've seen so many managers come and go in the last 13 years that maybe if they dont like the new managers methods, approach etc that they just say "fook it, Im not keen on this guy, I'm not busting my balls for this guy and he'll be gone before I am" knowing that if the new coach loses the dressing room sure he'll be gone at the end of the season if not before.

This is the problem at spurs. It's the same problem the government have with the civil servants "ah sure there'll be a new crowd in soon why bother"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This defeat doesn't look completely as bad as we're making it out to be. Look at the week Newcastle have had.

Doesn't excuse our performance but they did go on to beat both City and Liverpool.

Advertisement