Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hammerings/Thrashings

• 19-10-2014 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm a sucker for punishment, so in light of Sunderland's 8-0 spanking at the hands of Southampton, I thought I'd create a thread to discuss hammerings/thrashings :pac:

Are there any that really stand out for you in general, or that your team have handed out or been on the receiving end of? Aside from today, the main ones that would stand out for me as a Sunderland fan (all defeats of course) are:

7-1 vs Everton in 2007/2008
    5-1 vs Newcastle in 2010/2011
    7-2 vs Chelsea in 2009/2010
    6-1 vs Aston Villa in 2012/2013

There have been far, far more too. We have been on the receiving end of so many heavy defeats over the years.

From a neutral point of view, Germany 7-1 Brazil from this years World Cup has to be right up there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Utd beat Ipswich 9-0 in 94/95 season, Andy Cole got 5

We also beat Forest 8-1 in 99, Solksjaer came on as a sub and scored 4 in 10/15 mins or something stupid like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Zimbru.......

In the 1st 20 minutes they had the ball 3 times......3-0 up finished 5-0

que manager stating "no team of mine will lose 5-0 ever again"

2nd leg beaten 5-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Never felt a fear like it when Madrid went three up in United's quarter-final against them in 02/03. It ended 3-1 but it was a hammering in terms of the contest of football that had been played. Newcastle avenging their Community Shield hammering by running in five against us in 96/97 was fierce craic too. As a eight year-old, I basically thought we'd the whip hand on them for, like, forever. One Philipe Albert chip later...

The 7-1 against Roma is my favourite one in our favour. I'd thought there was a big chance that we were going out, outplayed in the Stadio Olimpico, no Scholes. Nobody saw what was coming next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1) Barca 4 - 0 Man Utd, an absolute joy to watch, a hammering of the highest order. Pallister and Bruce were always held up as top CBs in England, yet either Romario or Stoichkov said afterwards "probably among the worst CBs I've ever played against".

2) Barca 5 - 0 Real Madrid from a few seasons back, one of the most technical games and impressive displays I can remember watching in football. Madrid were a top side but Barca made them look like wee boys and turned it into a training session.

3) Definitely Germany 7 - 1 Brazil. At one point I actually remember starting to feel embarrassed for Brazil and kinds sorry for them. Had Germany not eased off, they could easily have got into double figures in that game. I think they took pity on Brazil.

and probably my all-time favourite hammering, being in Motherwell the night we played Gretna in Europe. They were high flying and scoring for fun in the league, they went 1-0 up against us (Derry) in about 10mins and we feared the worst. Then we took control, took them to the cleaners and won 5-1. One of the best nights I ever experienced at a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Beating Arsenal 6-0 was sweet but when we thumped Villa 8-0 a few years back it was mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea 8-0 Wigan

Winning the league that day, in such emphatic fashion... all the sweeter by the fact that I was there!!! :D

The tension until Anelka scored the opener was awful... but then it was just a carnival from then until the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

DazMarz wrote: »
    Chelsea 8-0 Wigan

Winning the league that day, in such emphatic fashion... all the sweeter by the fact that I was there!!! :D

The tension until Anelka scored the opener was awful... but then it was just a carnival from then until the next morning.

Great game.

Beating stoke 7-0 is up there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

One of the worst days. It could have been 12-15 easily.
    7269.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Seen Qpr lose 6-1 to Leeds which isnt all that bad but we let an ageing Brian Deane score 4 and he even missed a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

United 8 - Arsenal 2

Whatever about thrashing a smaller team, to go out and whip consistent top four opposition like that is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

The year Middlesboro went down they battered Man City 8-0 on the last day of the season. With Stewart Downing of all people grabbing a hat-trick. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool beat palace 9 0 in the late 80s. Palace got their revenge by beating liverpool 4 3 in the fa cup semi later on that year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Manchester derby is a very notable one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Conceding or scoring the 7th goal is a bit of a milestone for me anyway, it strays into the realm of a proper, full on thrashing. The difference between scoring 6 and 7 seems so much greater than say 5 and 6 or 7 and 8.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

4-6. Bohs. 4-1 up at halftime.

0-5 in 25 second half minutes. Could've been ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Conceding or scoring the 7th goal is a bit of a milestone for me anyway, it strays into the realm of a proper, full on thrashing. The difference between scoring 6 and 7 seems so much greater than say 5 and 6 or 7 and 8.

Unfortunate timing with that post ☺. Or was it.

Unfortunate timing with that post ☺. Or was it.

I honestly hadn't seen the post above mine. I was more getting at a bigger team beating a smaller team, sure 4-0 would be a hammering between 2 big teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Supporting Spurs over the years has seen us on the end of some proper hidings:

Leeds 5 - 0 Spurs
    Sheff Utd 6 - 0 Spurs
    Bolton 6 - 1 Spurs (I think twas 6-1 anyway)
    Newcastle 7 - 1 Spurs
    Chelsea 5 - 1 Spurs
    City 6 - 0 Spurs
    Spurs 0 - 5 Liverpool
    Spurs 1 - 5 City

And that's off the top of my head. There are many more 4 and 5 goal defeats.

Then again, this is a club who can be 3-0 up at half time against a team down to 10 men and who haven't won in months and still manage to lose 4-3.

Supporting Spurs is a little like golf. You play complete dog sh!t for 17 holes and hook your drive on the 18th into the rough. You swear that's it, you'll never pick up another golf club in your life. Then, from nowhere, you hit the sweetest shot in the history of the game and land within inches of the hole. It brings you back the following week. Doesn't matter that you'll probably miss the tap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Blackburn 7-0 Nottingham Forest

Forest were on a long unbeaten run before that game in 95.

1992/3 saw Blackburn beating Norwich 7-1 and Liverpool 4-1, while losing 5-2 to Coventry and Leeds.

Never a good recent record against Arsenal and a 7-1 drubbing is one that sticks out in my mind from 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Liverpool 8-0 Besiktas in the Champions League was a good one. Could be the same result in reverse against Real this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭klose

Liverpol 5 arsenal 1 last season was a fairly unexpected thrashing at the time, as good a first 20 minutes you will see in football that day.

The germany brazil game in the world cup is for the me the worst thrashing handed out, was lost for words when germany were practically walking the ball in past a brazil defence that looked like a sunday league team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As a Man United fan, the 5-0 loss vs Newcastle in 96/97 was one of the most shocking ones I can remember. The 6-3 against Southampton was pretty bad too.

In recent times, City and Liverpool have done us badly at Old Trafford with big scores.

Finally, while it wasn't a big score, the 3-0 against Liverpool at OT last year was one of the worst thrashing a if have witness. They destroyed us in every position on the pitch. They were faster, stronger, tougher and simply better everywhere and, even though it was only 3-0, was was never so disappointed by a bad home win, simply because I had come to the realisation before the game that this was on the cards.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CSF wrote: »
    Manchester derby is a very notable one

Which one?

Was at Maine Rd in the late 80s when City were 5-0 up at half time (I think). Hughes scored a consolation early in the 2nd half. That's the only time I've walked out of a match in disgust with over half an hour to go. Didn't miss any goals though as the final score was 5-1. We did reverse that score at OT a couple of years later mind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Athlone Town 0-7 Cork City in September 2011. Think it was our biggest win in the league, albeit the First Division. In the Premier Division, we had a few 6-0s and one 7-1. We beat intermediate (or junior) side Glenmore Dundrum 9-0 in the FAI Cup.

Our biggest loss in the league was 7-2 against Derry. In Europe, 'twas two 6-0s, against Torpedo Moscow (5-0; 1-0) and Slavia Prague (2-0; 4-0).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool 8 - 0 Besiktas was just hilarious - I'm mean Andre Voronin had a direct hand in 4 maybe 5 of the goals. It was that sort of game.

On the other end Spurs 4 - 0 Liverpool was pretty damned awful. Man Utd 4 - 0 another.

The two worst of the PL era apart from the weirdest of them all - Coventry 5 - 1 Liverpool, 1992. Ian Rush v Phil Babb and yet the home side won. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The 2 that stand out for me as a United fan were.

and

They both stand out because I was lucky enough to be at both games. The Newcastle one I was on a stag so myself and the only other United fan were sat beside eachother. Was funny as we were surrounded by fat Geordies in the home supporters seats and trying our damnedest to not go bananas when we scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

As it was mentioned before spurs are not shy of being thrashed 4+ goals. But we also dished them out in our time.

We beat chelsea 5-1 in the league cup only to be beaten twice by them 4-0 in subsequent games. Beat everton 5-2 on new years day when they were flying high. Also beat liverpool 4-0 when their confidence was at the start-of-the-season-our-year standard, almost directly after getting 2 awful hidings from both manchesters. We beat wigan 9-1 with defoe scoring 6.

Internationally I will never forget the spain ireland game in 1989 in which spain may only have won 2-0 but we were so badly dominated I still hold a 2-0 defeat to that standard. The worst of all had to be the cyprus game though. That was a comedy.

Am I alone in feeling a macabre pleasure of sorts seeing your team being humiliated in such a horrible fashion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I remember the 9 - 0 drubbing of Ipswich quite well. Not having the ability to watch live United games at the time I would use Aertel to keep updated with the scores. It seemed like every time the page refreshed United had scored again.

I thought Aertel was broken :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Man utd have had a fair few. One of my favourites though was man utd 6-1 Arsenal. Yorke with a hattrick after a few minutes. Arsenal were clear second best in premier league back then so it just really cemented how dominant that team was back then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

chupacabra wrote: »
    I remember the 9 - 0 drubbing of Ipswich quite well. Not having the ability to watch live United games at the time I would use Aertel to keep updated with the scores. It seemed like every time the page refreshed United had scored again.

I thought Aertel was broken :pac:

That exactly happened to me that day as well. Snap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was in Berlin the night we lost 6 1 to Germany in Dublin. Never drank to get drunk so fast in my entire life!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dfx- wrote: »
    4-6. Bohs. 4-1 up at halftime.

0-5 in 25 second half minutes. Could've been ten.

Or this. A bunch of kids playing for pittance vs a bunch of primadonna stars fresh off the group stages of the Europa League. One of the best nights ever. Times like this are why I feel blessed to have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Ireland 5 - Turkey 0, 17th October 1990.

Game was on a Wednesday afternoon so I was at school but by the time I was going home word was going round that we'd opened up a can whoopass on Turkey. I thought that Irish team was unbeatable at the time and was gutted when we didn't qualify for Euro '92.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Liverpol 5 - 0 Forest

Liverpool destroyed them

Celtic 6 - 2 Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

For a top side Arsenal seem to be on the wrong end of a thrashing every now and then.

• Advertisement

The Larson chip was the iceing in that 6-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Arsenal. Receiving end, that United game and lots last year. Moving swiftly on :pac:

There's been a few good ones, the 6-3 against Liverpool where Julio Baptista somehow scored 4, we beat Boro 7-0, but this one sticks out:

Great performances from everyone, against a properly good side (they had just got 4th spot), and Bergkamp ran the show at the age of 36. Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Zico wrote: »
    Ireland 5 - Turkey 0, 17th October 1990.

Game was on a Wednesday afternoon so I was at school but by the time I was going home word was going round that we'd opened up a can whoopass on Turkey. I thought that Irish team was unbeatable at the time and was gutted when we didn't qualify for Euro '92.

Given a that Irish football is lit with "what ifs", not getting to Euro92 is easily the one that kills me. We were at our peak. USA94 was us on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Beating United 6-1at Old Trafford is up there.

Also, being in the Salvador fan zone while Brazil got annihalated by Germany was a unique experience. Brazilians didnt know how to respond to that. I wasn't sure whether I should laugh or worry for my own safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Chelsea thumping United 5-0 a few years back

Panthro wrote: »
    Chelsea thumping United 5-0 a few years back

A few?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

When Ireland thrashed the Germans 1-1 a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A few?

1999, jesus times flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hearts 5-1 Hibs in 2012 Cup final
    Man United 1-6 City

Can't remember any Cork City hammerings of top my head.

Those 2 are most painful especially Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Hearts 5-1 Hibs in 2012 Cup final
    Man United 1-6 City

Can't remember any Cork City hammerings of top my head.

Those 2 are most painful especially Cup final.

I remember City did get hammered by Derry years ago in the late 1980s or early 90s. Cant remember the exact score but was something like 7-2 or the like.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember Macedonia beat Liechtenstein 11-1 when they were in our qualifying group for the France '98 and the Germans beat San Marino 13-0 in Euro 2008 qualifying, they were in the same group as us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Spain needed to win their last qualifying game for Euro84 by 11 goals, and beat Malta 12-1, although there has always been discussions around whether it was a hammering or a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Rovers got beaten 7-0 against Gornik Zabrze in 1994 in the UEFA Cup at the RDS, glad i wasnt there. Got battered 3-0 at the Cross this season (not exactly a hammering but definitely a thrashing). Lost 4-0 to "that lot" on the night of my 40th birthday, another one i was glad i didnt go to.
    United losing 5-0 to Newcastle, 6-3 to Southampton, 4-0 to Liverpool, 6-1 to City, 4-0 to Barcelona (how we got nil that night ill never know). Earliest United memory is them losing 6-0 to Ipswich in 1980. Gary Bailey saved two penalties as well.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Spain needed to win their last qualifying game for Euro84 by 11 goals, and beat Malta 12-1, although there has always been discussions around whether it was a hammering or a fix.

Couple of the goals in that Sunderland thrashing by Southampton where fairly questionable, especially the mistakes by Mannone and Verginni.

• Advertisement
Advertisement