Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hammerings/Thrashings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Spurs 9-1 Wigan. Jermain Defoe with 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

When Newcastle played United at OT, 08 season. Got to half time with the score still 0-0. Great I thought, could be on for a hard earned point at OT which wouldn't have been sneezed at considering United had the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Vidic and Tevez in their prime.
    FT 6-0 to United.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

England beat Luxembourg 9-0 away with Bobby Charlton getting a hat-trick. Can't say I remember it as it was the day before I was born.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

As a Chelsea fan of a certain vintage, the one that's engraved on my heart is 1981, Rotherham United 6, Chelsea 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MK Dons 4-0 United.

ugh just remembered:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I believe Arsenal beat City 5-1 in 2002 or so, with Richard Dunne being abysmal. Listened to it on the car radio as a kid while my mother was shopping.

• MK Dons 4-0 United.

ugh just remembered:o

Twas Painful :mad:

Ireland beating Gilbrater was a hammering!
    Man Utd 7 - Roma 1 in the CL. Never forget that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

A very notable one was Bayern's 7-0 demolition of Barca over two legs in the CL.

Okay so not as bad as a one-off hiding, but taking on one of the best teams in the world and consistently outplaying them for 180 minutes sent quite a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Liverpool fan

4-0 VS real Madird 08/09
    8-0 VS besiktas 07/08
    5-1 VS arsenal
    4-1 VS UTD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

NIMAN wrote: »
    1) Barca 4 - 0 Man Utd, an absolute joy to watch, a hammering of the highest order. Pallister and Bruce were always held up as top CBs in England, yet either Romario or Stoichkov said afterwards "probably among the worst CBs I've ever played against"..

That's highly unprofessional if they did. "In England" implies that you don't think that those two players were top defenders? They both certainly were.

From what I recall of that game neither were the problem. They were two of the few first team players United were able to field because of the foreign player rules.

Definitely agree with your Germany vs Brazil nomination though. That's one of the strangest games of football I've ever witnessed.

Southend have taken some hidings on the road over the years. I don't think I've ever seen us ship more than four though. The only hammering I remember us giving someone when i was there was doing Oxford 6-1 at Roots Hall in 1993. Tommy Mooney got a hattrick and Ricky Otto was unplayable.

My favourite hammering ever will always be Germany 1 - 5 England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beefy78 wrote: »
    My favourite hammering ever will always be Germany 1 - 5 England.

Didn't Germany finish runners-up in that WC though?

But that hammering did something.

The German FA in the coming days had a meeting and decided that something had to change, put all the structures in place and now they are world champions again. Likes of English FA should take note, many failures have been ignored over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They did make the finals and fair play to them. Doesn't take away that 90 minutes though.

The FA decide things need to change after every English failure for the last 20 years. It isn't easy to make changes in England though because of the power of the Premier League and the Football League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Liverpool 5 Nottingham Forest 0 (87-88)
    They were in the title chase at the time
    Fecking mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Chelsea fan;

Memorable: 5-0 against then treble winners man united

7-1/8-0 v villa 7-1 as I was there

5-1 v spurs at Wembley

5-0 v Genk - one of Torres rare performances for us, our record CL win?

6-0 last year against the gunners due to hilarious circumstances

Also beat city 5/6-0 under mourinho but they didn't quite have the team they do now.

Not so good;

5-1 aet v Barca after winning 3-1 at the bridge Figos late supposed consolation cost us in the end

4-1 vs Liverpool ended hope of top 4 luckily made up for it by winning CL

3-0 v Sunderland

Won't list more its depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

NIMAN wrote: »
    Spain needed to win their last qualifying game for Euro84 by 11 goals, and beat Malta 12-1, although there has always been discussions around whether it was a hammering or a fix.

Thanks for reminding me to that one.

Holland had beaten Spain at home in an unbelievable passionate Feyenoord stadium. Was about the last time i saw passion from the fans like that for Holland. The carnaval that now surrounds the Holland matches are a pain for the real football fan.

Then came Malta and they got away with a 5-0 with their goal keeper Bonello being very good.

Few days later it was Spain - Malta. Malta going 1-0 up and it was 3-1 Spain at ht. Finished 12-1 but if they had needed 20 they would have gotten them as well. Bonello couldnt catch a skippy ball that night.

Within a year there was a complete new stadium and trainings facilities built in Malta.

If ever a match was sold, it was this one.

As a Feyenoord fan, Ajax - Feyenoord in 1983 (links to a somewhat crappy site, but it has the starting 11 for both teams.... some names in there...) is somewhat special :mad:

Cruijff had joined Feyenoord that summer in what could only be described as a revenge move as Ajax didnt want to renew his contract. Contract at Feyenoord he had, had a special bonus where every ticket sold above 30.000 Cruijff would end up with 50% of that.

Feyenoord took a 2-0 lead and were the better team. Somehow Ajax managed to turn it around before ht 3-2 when Feyenoord should have scored a few more too.
    2nd half, total collapse > 8-2

Didnt harm Feyenoord in the end, winning the double that year after winning the league match at home 4-1 (which could have been 8-1 to Feyenoord) and sending Ajax out of the cup

Then there was that little thing of a 10-0 loss to PSV just a few seasons ago.
    A win that has come back to bit PSV in the arse a couple of times since then and will do so for a long long time.
    Later that same season Feyenoord won 3-1 ending PSV's chances for the championship.
    The fans, the players, everything Feyenoord will be fired up for Feyenoord - PSV for a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Germans hammering us 6-1 was hard to take.

Pool beating us(Everton) 4-0 last year. Been on a end of a few hammerings from Arsenal.
    Had a few easy derby day wins ourselves wouldnt call them hammerings on the score line even if the manner of the victory was easy. Cant say we have ever hammered a team, seem to remember a few 7-0 wins as a kid growing up

As a Pats fan 0-5 Zimbru home and away was horrible.
    Destroying Rovers 4-0 in the council stadium.

Kerry destroying Dublin in 09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool against arsenal last season 5-1, 4 goals in 20 mins, it really could of been 10, that was a battering.
    City at Old Trafford winning 6-1 was another but they did go down to 10 early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's one happening right now. Bayern are ridiculously good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Has there ever been a 5 nil half time score in the CL before?

Bound to have some lad in the paper tomorrow that had it backed

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Shakhtar are beating BATE 6-0 as well tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Well, there's a 6-0 going on at the moment. Shakhtar Dontesk winning 6-0 away to BATE Borisov.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cheers lads

So has there ever been a 6 nil half time score in the CL before?? :D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Well, there's a 6-0 going on at the moment. Shakhtar Dontesk winning 6-0 away to BATE Borisov.

They're taking some BATEing.

:o

RCXBAKj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

https://twitter.com/ChampionsLeague/status/524649853872533504

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Roma 1-7 Bayern.

Drubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Which match went to half time first; Bayern or Shakhtar? Did Bayern set a record for the highest half-time lead, only for it to be broken a minute later by Shakhtar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

40 goals in 1 night of UCL games is a new record too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GavRedKing wrote: »

There will be that many in Anfield tomorrow night some might say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

GavRedKing wrote: »

Seemingly not.

Didnt have Sky Goal then so prolly seen about 2 of these :pac:
    Infostrada Sports
    @InfostradaLive
    With 40 GOALS being scored today, this is the most second prolific day in CL history after 44 goals on 1 October 1997.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seemingly not.

Didnt have Sky Goal then so prolly seen about 2 of these :pac:

I just heard it on commentary, I wonder how many games were played that night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Finally, while it wasn't a big score, the 3-0 against Liverpool at OT last year was one of the worst thrashing a if have witness. They destroyed us in every position on the pitch. They were faster, stronger, tougher and simply better everywhere and, even though it was only 3-0, was was never so disappointed by a bad home win, simply because I had come to the realisation before the game that this was on the cards.

That was an odd one.

Just total control and sticking around the Utd box and waiting for penalties to occur. It was like a different sport.

I remember probably the biggest score I'd ever seen at the time was that 10-2 win of Lyon over Werder Bremen in 04/05 (over two legs).

I remember looking through the scores and just wondering what the **** happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Kerry destroying Dublin in 09

If we'll include GAA then Mayos losses to Kerry in 04 and 06 were hard to take. Hammering Donegal in 2012 was a welcome change.

As a City fan, Roma's annihalation today was very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Germany v Gibraltar in the next round of Euro 2016 qualifiers.

Ok, it hasn't been played yet, but may as well put it in here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think if Madrid had not stopped playing at half-time last night we could easily have had another 6 or 7 victory.

Both Ajax and Liverpool should thank the Spanish FA for scheduling Real - Barca this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle:

Beating Spurs 7-1
    Beating Man United 5-0
    Beating Sunderland 5-1

Bohemians:

Beating Shamrock Rovers 4-0
    Beating Bray 5-0

Neither team has ever received a spanking and if anyone says differently you're wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

marwelie wrote: »
    Rovers got beaten 7-0 against Gornik Zabrze in 1994 in the UEFA Cup at the RDS

Nope, that was the away game (I was there), we lost the RDS return leg (in front of about 200 people) by a much smaller scoreline (1-0 IIRC)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We thumped Rovers a few times over the last few years.

Any excuse to post this really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bournemouth beating Birmingham 8-0 away from home at the moment.

Advertisement