Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset question and advice please

Options
  • 19-10-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

So the wife is finally letting me get a PS4 in the next couple of weeks so I need a bit of advice on headsets.

Is it possible to get one that I can talk online... But also listen to the TV sound through the actual headset so I can keep the volume down on the telly?
    Is that even possible?
    If so, and I dont have a massive budget, any recommendation?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

PX4 . Telly sound through the input / Mic sound through the pad ,
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps4-headsets/ear-force-px4/414

Price...well ,thats up to you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Using the official PS4 ones myself and they work great. Nice and comfortable and no extra cables or wires. I was going to get the PX4 set myself but they looked like too much hassle and messing around to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I went for the PX4 - not that much hassle to set up. Sound is excellent. Don't use the chat feature but once you set the sound settings on the PS4 and select which profile you want from the control box they are great.

Argos had a sale on them a while back, price is back up but not as high as they were a good few months ago. I do like the idea of the Sony ones - good price and neat. Saying that I did want to experience optical in sound - so far am loving it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So the wife is finally letting me get a PS4 in the next couple of weeks so I need a bit of advice on headsets.

Is it possible to get one that I can talk online... But also listen to the TV sound through the actual headset so I can keep the volume down on the telly?
    Is that even possible?

There was a couple of threads on headsets for Playstation recently on this forum, with a lot of suggestions and recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

Is that even possible?

All headsets and audio devices on ps4 can have all the systems audio piped through it, it's a toggle option in device settings.

You can use some devices you have sitting around like some phone hands free kits will work fine for mic and sound, like i use my samsung s5 headphones/handsfree headset with my ps4 with audio piped through them.

my cheap option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I just got a pair of turtle beach phantom's yesterday and they come with a control box that lets you pipe (via toslink) the sound from the playstation to the box and then on to the TV. This lets you have both audio to the headset and the TV at the same time.

The headset is wireless using a combination of WIFI (both 2,4 and 5GHz) and Bluetooth as connecting options. (however if you want chat on PS4 you must use the provided cable as Sony have locked down the chat over bluetooth unless your using one of sonys own headsets..Xbox works fine however with provided chat link up device. PS Vita also works fine)
    You can also hook it to your phones/tablet/computer over Bluetooth while gaming so your not going to miss any calls and/or stream music from devices.

May be overkill for what people are looking for but as an all round option that will work with anything really that has a headphone socket/bluetooth connection/and/or a optical cable its a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have 5.1 where I game so I make do with that, but I wanted a reasonable 1-ear headset so I could hear outside and picked up one of these :

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2814610/Trail/searchtext>PS4+HEADSET.htm

Seems perfect for what I needed....

For my 2-ear times I use my DJ headphones - AiAiAi TMA-1, they also have a cable for iPhone if I'm arsed talking through them, I generally don't be as the chat audio comes through mono through them....

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

I was thinking about picking up a pair of the Sony Gold(headset 2.0). To anyone who has them, i've read that the surround only works on ps3/ps4, so you can watch bluray and netflix with the surround enabled on the consoles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

SharpCoder wrote: »
    All headsets and audio devices on ps4 can have all the systems audio piped through it, it's a toggle option in device settings.

You can use some devices you have sitting around like some phone hands free kits will work fine for mic and sound, like i use my samsung s5 headphones/handsfree headset with my ps4 with audio piped through them.

my cheap option :)

So if im playing a story driven single player game, I can listen to the audio through headphones, and The TV itself can be silent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

So if im playing a story driven single player game, I can listen to the audio through headphones, and The TV itself can be silent?

Yup,

Technology eh?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Fieldog wrote: »
    Yup,

Technology eh?

:)

Mind = Blown
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Can you use the official PS3 one?

So i picked up the Sony headset 2.0 (sony gold) for 85e in argos today. Initial reaction ? Not blown away tbh, the "7.1 surround" is.. not great imo, or not as good as i was hoping, nothing special really, just adds a layer of sound to the main sound, kind of dilutes the original signal, without it the sound is much cleaner and precise and defined.. idk, put about an hour into BF4 with them and a few races in driveclub, the high end frequencies are alittle harsh too, will have to use the headset app and mess with the EQ.. at least there comfy and decent mic built in.

Its funny, no matter how much the newer tech headsets add in (downloaded game sound profiles, Bluetooth/phone use while gaming to name just two) I'm finding the older ones just have a more detailed information in the sound they deliver.

While I'm loving my new Turtle Beach Phantoms for many reasons (15 hours use between charging and more overall surround sound) but to be honest I'm turning back to my Tritton ax pro more for the speaker 'umph' they deliver.
    Its hard to explain really, maybe its the PS4? maybe it's just the overall sound experience of having the powered amp driving the speakers or something but all the added Dolby in the world can't make me reach for em when i fire up my console (s)
    Its a shame really as i really wanted to love my nearly week old TBs... Sad... but i suppose I'm gonna sell em on as for me at least they just don't compare to my old ax pros. Guess that sometimes the newer all singing all dancing sets just dont make it better experience to everyone.

Man them Tritton ax pro look the business, hows the surround on them ?. The Sony golds i got sound so much better with the vr-surround turned off, way more punch and definition without it. On, it absolutely kills the low end, no bass barely at all. And if anything with vr-surround on its actually harder to tell the exact direction of gun fire, it amazing how they can market such a gimmick.

That's the thing with the Triton's they sound really good! if dynamic range and true 5.1 sound is your thing, they don't overload you with surround sound to pull you into a sonic overload world, OK some people will think that's a negative but to me i'm more about the quality of the sound reproduced from the 8 (yes I said 8) speakers built in than the Dolby effects added in to 'immerse' me into the game.

They split the frequency's up so the sound goes to the right speaker built for the job, like bass only goes to the LFE speaker and so on.
    I have seen and heard all the arguments back and forth about whats better, using a virtual effects from 2 speakers to simulate surround sound or using dedicated ones for the job and that's why I wanted to test how good the TB's have gotten in the last few years.

One example. On the Tritton's, I start drive club and I am greeted by a satisfying low-bass 'BOOM' from the LEF channel (even at a lower volume) that's not overloading my ears at the very start of the intro and this sets me up for the game-play that follows, nice.

With the Turtles (out of the box) the sound is much lower and bass is just not there so I had to play with sound profiles by hooking them to PC cranking up the bass to get that same boom effect but then finding then its completely overloaded the bass for the rest of the game and it all becomes too boomy to enjoy the sound. So I'm disconnecting from the console back to the PC to reprogram them again.. and over and over for each game. why? Yep the surround sound is better in some ways in game but not worth the fiddling back and forth all the time. I also can't set any profile for Bluetooth sound.. hmm why?
    Don't get me started on the talk-back quality on TB, its not good and people say the Tritton mic sounds miles better to them too.

The Tritton's just work for every game without the need for a PC, sound profiles or extra added processed surround sound or anything to get the most out of them. they just work.

Maybe its just me and this just is what peeps want now on headsets, I mean being able to customize sound profiles is like a really good idea and maybe I'm just too old school to invest the time... so smoke em if you got em I suppose.

Yeah i seen the inside pics of them ax pros's on amazon, looks like a proper pair of cans for the surround. man i need to be doing more research before jumping on a product.. live and learn i guess ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

My advice, stay away from Turtle Beach. High end models are too expensive and rest of the rest of them feel really cheaply made. Tritton's I have tried feel much better quality wise

Advertisement