Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber worktop

• 19-10-2014 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, Im getting my solid oak kitchen resprayed and redone(few pullout drawers, soft close hinges, insulation behind the lower cabinets and tiling). Im also getting new worktops as the current ones are horrible formica/granite ones. Im thinking of timber and as it happens the worktops I like are the most expensive (american walnut). Im not sure now if I should settle for Iroko or golden oak (my windows are ivory and golden oak sills)..

The prices I was able to find oscillate around 350-500 EUR for 300mm of 625 wide 40 mm thick worktop.
    Does anyone know a good wood supplier where I could get these sourced at a better/more reasonable price (south Dublin area). My kitchen dimensions are 280x220 plus island 900x170.

Also- the current worktops are quite old and seem to be quite thinck-compared to the ones I can find online (seem to be 50-60mm-is that possible?) I guess best way of replacing them will be with 40mm thick ones which adds to the cost again.

Has anyone bought timber worktops online from UK? They seem to be A LOT cheaper however im a bit nervous they wont be what I expect..

And the last-anyone has experience with IKEA worktops? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

That's about the price for solid walnut worktop your old worktop wont be 50-60mm i would say its 40mm as well. As for buying from the uk that's up to you but if its wrong think of the cost and hastle getting it posted back from here. As for ikea i think all their stuff is rubbish. Here is a place in Dublin and their prices are good http://www.woodworkers.ie/ . Also have you looked into the after care off a solid worktop they need re oiling ever so often as you have to rub them down with sand paper start at 120 grit and work up to 320 /400 grit and them apply the oil in thin coats . If you do go with the solid keep it clean in every day use dont let water sit on it and when it comes to the re oiling stage its going to be alot easier . Thrust me on the keeping it clean i have fitted alot of solid tops and re oiled them and you can tell the ones that have being kept clean, a dirty worktop with grime and bits stuck to it is a nightmare to sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 aemk2014

Thanks so much for your reply. I thought Ikea stuff wouldnt be good. The woodworkers are the only place that has the prices online,i wonder would it be cheaper to get the worktop from kitchen suppliers?

Will look at laminated wood too-the quality of current one isnt bad,i put hot pits on it and nithing happens-i wonder if wood would be marked straight away.

I have walnut furniture in the sitting room and the table is already scratched by kuds-its very prone to damage://

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We got wooden work tops in B+Q, good bits and bad bits to them, they'll mark easily from putting cast iron on them or hot pots... Light marks can be sanded out ... They warp and twist... Don't like being next to sinks , over ovens or dish washers..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement