Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old with glasses - telescope advice

Options
  • 19-10-2014 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a seven year old who's become very interested in space/the solar system.
    She's looking for Santa to bring her a telescope and I've been doing a bit of research on a good beginners telescope.

I do have a couple of queries, she doesn't have great eyesight and wears glasses - is there anything in particular I should be looking for with a telescope to accommodate this?
    This is probably a stupid question - but should she be wearing her glasses when looking through the telescope or should it be the telescope be focused to her eyesight?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There shouldn't be any need to wear glasses when using a telescope - the focusing wheel essentially does the same job and can be adjusted to suit her eyesight. The only problem would be if she has astigmatism, but even then you can get telescopes/binoculars with what is called 'long eye relief' which allow for wearing glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

There shouldn't be any need to wear glasses when using a telescope - the focusing wheel essentially does the same job and can be adjusted to suit her eyesight. The only problem would be if she has astigmatism, but even then you can get telescopes/binoculars with what is called 'long eye relief' which allow for wearing glasses.

Thanks - she does have astigmatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

With glasses-wearers its all about the eyepices that you will use.

Taking the typical Plossl/MA Modified Achromat type eyepieces that are supplied with most scopes nowadays, in say, 10mm and 25mm size, glasses-wearers swill struggle with the 10mm one in particular, as the hole is so small to look through. The 25mm ones, for me anyway, are fine. I wear glasses observing,and find Plossls smaller than about 15mm quire difficult to use.

Long Eye relief eyepieces are designed differently, so that the hole you look through is much bigger, and is easy for the glasses wearer to use.

For the smaller sizes, less than 10mm, I use Skywatcher 58° UWA Planetary eyepieces, in 5mm and 8mm, as the eye relief for such small ep sizes is super.

This is really the only thing you will have to look out for.

Advertisement