Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Wine Kit

Options
  • 19-10-2014 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, Pretty new to this. On my second home wine kit - both Saddlers Reserve. First one a Pinot Grigio went exactly as per the instructions ( tastes great) - this one a cabernet sauvignon is still fermenting on day 32( airlock level well up and odd bubble visible)- kit instruction say should be finished day 18/24. Have been sampling and taking SG readings - it is at 0.996, it is clean, smells great but still tastes acidic, very raw which I would expect. Should I leave it longer or rack it and start to clear it? Any advice appreciated.
    Cheers and Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Hi pistolero - How regular are the bubbles? Judging by the SG it is most likely fermented out at this stage - I recommend moving onto the next stage -

I have a sadlers reserve kit on at the moment and after only 14 days fermentation has more or less ceased - but there is the odd bubble still coming out.. But i think the best gauge is the SG reading - anything below .999 is normally fermented out

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Hi pistolero - How regular are the bubbles? Judging by the SG it is most likely fermented out at this stage - I recommend moving onto the next stage -

I have a sadlers reserve kit on at the moment and after only 14 days fermentation has more or less ceased - but there is the odd bubble still coming out.. But i think the best gauge is the SG reading - anything below .999 is normally fermented out
    I'm in the same boat with saddlers merlot-Shiraz, at 0.999/8 fermented in 14 days, would have thought it'd take 20-24 days from instructions. Gonna rack it at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pistolero

Great stuff - thanks for getting back to me, sorry about my delay responding - left it another few days - today actually and the level dropped back to original- racked it and degassed it - now fingers crossed. I had a Saddlers Pinot Grigio which seemed to stop at 15 days- I left it the 24 days - and when I racked it is started to bubble slightly, it turned out absolutely brilliant, but like the advice- think the SG is the real guide- cheers and thanks again -BTW is there a section here for this stuff - would be interested in reading what others are at and learning as I go,

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

I reckon the 24 days of fermentation is just a guide - if you can ferment in a consistently warm place (i.e. my hotpress at 18 degrees) and there is sufficient yeast nutrient then it should happen in 2 weeks I believe..

Hingo - the merlot/shiraz was my first kit by them - I have had a hard time trying to keep any bottles as it tastes great young..

Advertisement