Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer accepted on house and deposit paid but now new cash offer

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

We have an offer accepted on a house, have engaged a solicitor, an engineer and are carrying out a valuation . We have also paid a 5000 euro booking deposit to the auctioneer.

However the seller has been approached privately by a cash buyer after accepting our offer and now looks like he/she will take this new offer instead.

I take it there is nothing we can do and cest le vie or is there?frown.png

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Unless contracts signed nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭spin777

Really sorry to hear that. As said above there is nothing you can do without a signed contract. Do you know how much you were gazumped by?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It could be a ploy to get you to raise the price too.....nothing you can do but walk....quickly

TheDriver wrote: »
    It could be a ploy to get you to raise the price too.....nothing you can do but walk....quickly

Not true. Possibly if its a private sale, but not if it's a reputable auctioneer.

It looks to me like you have two options:
    1. Try match the gazumpers bid and they might take preference over you because you have deposit paid already and solicitor engaged. If they accepted I'd immediately get them to sign a 'heads of agreement' so it wouldn't happen again, this will at least give you some legal recourse.
    2. Walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

Thanks for the replies, yeah thought there was nothing we could do but match the gazumpers bid but we can't so that's that I'd say.

We are hoping they are bluffing.

We are looking for over a year, will definitely look into heads of agreement if we have an offer accepted on another house.

• Advertisement

begod wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, yeah thought there was nothing we could do but match the gazumpers bid but we can't so that's that I'd say.

We are hoping they are bluffing.

We are looking for over a year, will definitely look into heads of agreement if we have an offer accepted on another house.

Heads of agreement would come before the contract, simple to write up and not a perfect solution but great to help fight off a gazumper.

Its very unusual they didn't go back to you first to see if you would match the offer, doesn't smell right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Sorry you got gazumped OP. It's never a nice feeling and by all accounts should be illegal.
    spin777 wrote: »
    Its very unusual they didn't go back to you first to see if you would match the offer, doesn't smell right to me.

What makes you think they didn't get back to the OP? He knows he's been gazumped and he knows by how much because he has said himself they can't match the gazumper's bid. Not saying it's above board but definitely seems like a legitimate gazump, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

spin777 wrote: »
    not if it's a reputable auctioneer.
    speaking of oxymorons.....

Eldarion wrote: »
    What makes you think they didn't get back to the OP? He knows he's been gazumped and he knows by how much because he has said himself they can't match the gazumper's bid. Not saying it's above board but definitely seems like a legitimate gazump, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

He said they "can't" match the offer, I thought he meant they werent given the opportunity rather than 'they couldnt match it financially'.

But if it is as you say then it seems like a straight forward gazump...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Tell that auctioneer to refund your money ASAP and kindly tell them that you will not hesitate to tell everyone who wants to know that their word is worth nothing since they have already accepted an amount of cash for the deal and are now reneging on their word.

If you behaved like that in for example a cattle mart it you'd drive into the yard again at your own risk.

Essentially call their bluff with as much of a brass neck as they're having trying to squeeze a few more thousands out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tell that auctioneer to refund your money ASAP and kindly tell them that you will not hesitate to tell everyone who wants to know that their word is worth nothing since they have already accepted an amount of cash for the deal and are now reneging on their word.

If you behaved like that in for example a cattle mart it you'd drive into the yard again at your own risk.

Essentially call their bluff with as much of a brass neck as they're having trying to squeeze a few more thousands out of you.
    How about reading the OP before tendering advice? We have been told
    ... the seller has been approached privately by a cash buyer ...
    Nothing to do with the auctioneer, and seeking to damage his/her reputation because of the behaviour of the vendor is quite wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭f3232

the seller has been approached privately by a cash buyer

How about reading the OP before tendering advice? We have been told

Nothing to do with the auctioneer, and seeking to damage his/her reputation because of the behaviour of the vendor is quite wrong.

And i wonder who has informed the OP that "... the seller has been approached privately by a cash buyer"?

Someone covering their ass maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

f3232 wrote: »
    And i wonder who has informed the OP that "... the seller has been approached privately by a cash buyer"?

Someone covering their ass maybe?
    It seem obvious that the auctioneer told OP, and I can't see what else the auctioneer might have done. OP needed to know that the deal was screwed.

You might say it was ass-covering, but if you were an EA trying to do the right thing, you would want to cover your ass if your client misbehaved. You can't reasonably read more into it than that.

Advertisement