Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New boot suggestions, easy to put on/take off?

• 19-10-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi, my boots are totally worn out, I need a new pair.

My current are an Alpinestars touring boot. Nothing fancy to look at, but comfortable and easy to put on and take off -- just one zip and a velcro covering it.

I'm looking for suggestions on something similar. It may sound weird, but aside from safety, the main thing I'm interested in is how easy they are to put on and take off -- I don't want 3 zips and 32,000 straps, etc...

Anyone got an experience with something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I just bought the TCX S-R1 Gore-Tex in Cotters for 240. They're quite comfy and seem to offer a fair bit of protection.

Very easy to take on and off, only one zip and 100% waterproof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiptSdynYM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Very easy to take on and off, only one zip and 100% waterproof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiptSdynYM

I'm looking for boots too but trying to find something that doesn't look like I stepped off the set of the Empire Strikes Back is the problem I'm having. Most also seem to be very narrow, which is a pita.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'm looking for boots too but trying to find something that doesn't look like I stepped off the set of the Empire Strikes Back is the problem I'm having. Most also seem to be very narrow, which is a pita.
    Gaerne boots, they are a wider fit than others like Sidi
    How about their trials boots? Gaerne Goretex which are waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

TCX custom gore-tex, 100% waterproof & no zips.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Roadcraft wrote: »
    TCX custom gore-tex, 100% waterproof & no zips.

They seem a bit power-rangery / racey for me. And that usually means they're not super comfortable, or can be a pain in the ass to walk in and/or wear all day (i.e., if touring)...

Open to being corrected though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

rat_race wrote: »
    They seem a bit power-rangery / racey for me. And that usually means they're not super comfortable, or can be a pain in the ass to walk in and/or wear all day (i.e., if touring)...

Open to being corrected though...

Plain black, two buckles, no zips (Power-rangery ???).

Plain & simple & waterproof .

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Plain black, two buckles, no zips (Power-rangery ???).

Plain & simple & waterproof .

Sorry, thought you were talking about TCX S-R1 Gore-Tex which Skill Magill recommended.

Hi, my boots are totally worn out, I need a new pair.

My current are an Alpinestars touring boot. Nothing fancy to look at, but comfortable and easy to put on and take off -- just one zip and a velcro covering it.

I'm looking for suggestions on something similar. It may sound weird, but aside from safety, the main thing I'm interested in is how easy they are to put on and take off -- I don't want 3 zips and 32,000 straps, etc...

Anyone got an experience with something similar?
    Alpinestars Goretex Touring boots on sale at Louis atm for 179
    Not a bad price for Goretex boots.
    Linky

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Linky

Thanks. Was also looking at ALPINESTARS WEB GORE-TEX, which is right beside them (Linky). Not sure what to go for...the XCR look nicer, but what's the difference?

Thanks. Was also looking at ALPINESTARS WEB GORE-TEX, which is right beside them (Linky). Not sure what to go for...the XCR look nicer, but what's the difference?
    XCR is textile, Web is Leather.
    I guess its comes down to wet weather usage, more wet= Textile, less wet = leather or lots of leather treatment to keep them good in wet conditions.
    What are your current A-stars?

• Advertisement

Motoin have them for 159 +7.90 P+P
    Link

Linky
    I guess its comes down to wet weather usage, more wet= Textile, less wet = leather or lots of leather treatment to keep them good in wet conditions.

Yeah, the only difference I had noted was textile vs. leather -- but wasn't really sure what that actually meant in terms of functionality.

I guess textile is the way to go in this country, so...

I currently have some sort of Alipestars "Touring" boot that is goretex & leather. Don't actually know the exact model and doesn't say it anywhere. Very similar to the Web I posted above, though. Three straps of velcro vs. two there. I was given them second hand, 3 years ago They're probably over ten years old, seriously...the previous owner even had the bottom of them both replaced by a cobbler, so could be 15 years old!

I reckon the XCRs are much more breathable -- probably not good in cold weather? Plus, the name "Airplus"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bought a pair of BMW Allround boots a few months ago, for only 180 from the dealers. Very very good, but I got the fit wrong. I was pleasantly surprised at the price tbh.

Might just go back and get the next size up - or go for the Pro Touring.

Page 22 - http://www.bmw-information.com/dg/wn/dld/bmwm/a7774975/digi-pdf1.pdf

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement