Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbuilt media card reader not working after reinstall

Options
  • 19-10-2014 2:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Dell XPS 8500 which has one of those multi card readers built into it. I recently updated to Windows 10 and since then it has not worked. It worked fine when I updated from 7 to 8 and 8.2 - but not now (I know Windows 10 is only beta).

I've gone to the Dell drivers page, put in my system ID but there is no option for drivers for memory card reader or anything similar. So I googled and downloaded the only thing I could find. Still did not work.

So just now, I was sitting on my couch watching tv, and I hear a notification noise from my pc - it was the SD card being recognised and Windows wondering what I want to do with this new device. Very strange as I had not touched the pc for at least 10 minutes - and it had been about an hour since I put the SD card in. Weird!

Now I'm trying with a new sd card but nothing. Grrrrrr!

Would anyone have any idea how I can try to troubleshoot this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

Maybe it could just be a bug with windows 10? I'm not really sure because I'm running 7 seems to be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Are there onboard chipset drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

I have no experience with Windows 10, but try looking in device manager

Are there onboard chipset drivers?

I think there are, I have an Alienware laptop and I had to install chipset drivers, so maybe those need to be installed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks guys, I updated the Bios and it seems to be working fine now! Cheers!

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »

Glad you got it working :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Zascar wrote: »

What bios settings did you change?, I cannot see any relevant ones

I have a Spire internal CARDREADER 332 / SP332CB in a desktop Dell PC windows 10 upgrade
    not recognized and not working although an LED is on and it read the USB slot in the reader if I plug something into it.
    I cannot find drivers for it anywhere?
    no sign of it anywhere in device manger etc no errors no warnings etc
    Nothing to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Keplar240B wrote: »
    What bios settings did you change?, I cannot see any relevant ones

I have a Spire internal CARDREADER 332 / SP332CB in a desktop Dell PC windows 10 upgrade
    not recognized and not working although an LED is on and it read the USB slot in the reader if I plug something into it.
    I cannot find drivers for it anywhere?
    no sign of it anywhere in device manger etc no errors no warnings etc
    Nothing to go on.

Sounds like he update the bios firmware itself, not any individual config.

Advertisement