Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 6 on Tescomobile with @eircom.net address

• 19-10-2014 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭

I use Eircom broadband at home so there's no problem with sending mail from the iPhone 6. Out and about I obviously can't use the Eircom outgoing server. Tescomobile don't have an SMTP. I prefer to use the mail app and not webmail. I've read that I could use Gmail outgoing servers but can't figure out how.
    Could someone please tell me if it's possible to send mail from the Eircom.net account using the native mail app when I'm not connected to Eircom or to a network without an SMTP server and if so, please explain how.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eoinuna

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say a categoric no. I recently changed to tesco and also changed the wifes phone too but as far as I can see it's not possible at all to send eircom messages through eircom. I've asked tescomobile but nothing back of consequence. I think the outgoing SMTP is the problem. I was with Meteor who are owned by eircom anyway. So no problem receiving and sending emails. outgoing smtp in that case of mail1.eircom.net worked fine. Some sites suggest smtp.eircom.net. Have a go but I'd be supprised. I don't even think you'll be able to get the client to verify the settings. To be fair to the iphone, the problem is not exclusive to them. I've an android and the same problem. Strange here is that if you let the client search for and find the setting, it returns with mail1.eircom.net but then you can't send anyway. I have to say it's a complete headwreck. I can only presume that people just give up and switch to gmail or whatever the apple equivalent is. Finally, in fairness to tescomobile, the problem isn't exclusively theirs. My mother in law has changed her mobile broadband to 3ireland and the very same. She can't send eircom emails from the ipad (or any other PC client, I'd suspect) either By the way, if anyone care to set me right on any of the above, please PLEASE do!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can't send emails from one email server while you're on another carrier signal. Its to stop spam being sent on another carriers system, getting them a bad name. If you look at the Gmail site, it actually tells you how to set up using Gmail which means you can send it no matter which service your phone is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Try using port 587 rather than 25 for the outgoing (SMTP) server, a lot of ISPs keep 25 for their own servers,

Incoming Mail
    Server:
    webmail.eircom.net
    Server Type:
    IMAP
    Port Number:
    Security Settings:
    SSL/TLS
    Outgoing Mail
    Emails can only be sent via mail1.eircom.net if your PC/device is attached to an eircom network. If you are using another provider to connect your device to the internet you will need to use their outgoing mail servers.
    Server:
    mail1.eircom.net
    Server Type:
    SMTP
    Port Number:
    Sign in required?
    No
    Security Settings:
    None

whiterebel wrote: »
    You can't send emails from one email server while you're on another carrier signal. Its to stop spam being sent on another carriers system, getting them a bad name. If you look at the Gmail site, it actually tells you how to set up using Gmail which means you can send it no matter which service your phone is on.

Yes, but I have failed to find an outgoing SMTP that will work for eircom emails on other carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

What errror message do you receive when trying to use another SMTP server?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I don't know if it works with iphone but on android using the gmail app you can send an email using an alias. The recipient would see the message as being from your eircom address but it would actually be going through a gmail address.
    In my case I can receive but not send for my iol address so use iol alias to reply.

I don't know if it works with iphone but on android using the gmail app you can send an email using an alias. The recipient would see the message as being from your eircom address but it would actually be going through a gmail address.
    In my case I can receive but not send for my iol address so use iol alias to reply.

Yes, this would work. Difference here is that you will use the gmail client so at the desktop later if you go to webmail.eircom.net viewed emails won't be marked as viewed and the same with flagged messages. At that point you might as well move over entirely. Looks like workaround is the only way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You'll need to use another mail server like mailjet to get around it. If you google SMTP servers you should be able to find one.

Advertisement