Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shiiine on Weekender [Butlins Minehead UK]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Allyall wrote: »
    Butlins have obviously come up with a way of trying to attract people back there (I'm assuming they've declined over the years).

Up until last year, ATP ran their festivals from the Butlins in Minehead (well, since 2007 anyway) so they've been hosting events like this for a long time.

I was there in 2010 (God Speed You! Black Emperor) and 2011 (Les Savy Fav, Battles & Caribou) - not a bad way to do a festival in fairness. If you book early there is a large choice of price points and alternatives. The site has bars, multiple stages and plenty to do aside from watching bands (youre also allowed access to the Butlins facilities like crazy golf and swimming pool). Short stroll up to Minehead town from the site as well if you want to escape it for a bit.

Its relatively easy to get to from Bristol airport as well, so there are a number of options in getting there. I personally couldn't justify going to this festival, even to see a Pat Nevin DJ set! But definitely some interesting acts on that lineup, if you can justify it I would recommend looking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I didn't realise that they had been doing them for a while, but a glance around the site shows some previous concerts.
    It does seem like a good idea.
    I personally couldn't justify going to this festival, even to see a Pat Nevin DJ set! But definitely some interesting acts on that lineup, if you can justify it I would recommend looking into it

I'm not sure I could either.. I had originally asked did anybody think it would be worth it, and changed it before I posted.
    £139 seems a bit steep (and that's the early bird) for a lot of early 90's acts that were only mildly succesful for a very short time.
    But there are also a few acts that were decent back then, whether or not they would be now is a different matter. If Charlatans signed up, I may be slightly more tempted.
    The idea of the accommodation is good, as are the bars. November 2015 is probably a bit early to be considering it though.

Cool to know you can leave and head up to the town though, that would/could also swing my decision a bit closer to the date. But as it is, Flights can't even be priced.

It could end up being a bit pricey, so another few decent acts would have to be named for me to say i'd definitely go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

house of love have to be dead certs to be added to the lineup!
    When you consider that £139 includes accommodation for 3 nights per person, it is actually reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jossys_giants

with any luck I will get to this. Cannot see Carter playing, they play their final comedown gigs in London next month. Though Jim Bob is on with Lamaq on 6 Music today at 4 with some news

Butlins baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pat Nevin, as in the former footballer?

Just looked it up and it is him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

heard 'sheriff fatman' on the radio just now - think i might have to go and scratch the itch!

roll wrote: »
    heard 'sheriff fatman' on the radio just now - think i might have to go and scratch the itch!

have tix for both Final Comedown gigs in London next month. Its gonna be very special. Great band and the crowd at their gigs go absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mgkelly

That lineup is stonkingly good!!

As mentioned, it's very unlikely Carter USM will be playing. I didn't tune in to the Steve Lamacq, so I didn't hear what was said, but it has been repeated nearly everywhere, that this month is their last ever gigs... :(

On a side note, look what Jim-Bob got -

zBCM6U0.jpg

Early bird tickets have gone up to £149.. :( And it's not even November 2014.

• Advertisement

tix bought and flights booked. Anyone else making the trip across? Should be a great weekend

tix bought and flights booked. Anyone else making the trip across? Should be a great weekend

Where did you get tickets? And for how much?

I'd love to be going. Unfortunately and stupidly, I never booked any tickets, and now they're ~ €675 with accommodation, unless I get a more than me going.
    Plus flights and travel from airport. Doesn't seem like hassle, but does seem pricey.

I haven't been able to find tickets to gig separately, to book a b&b or similar nearby.

I would be able to convince a mate to go, which may bring the price of the accommodation down, but still finding it hard to get tickets.

Where did you get tickets? And for how much?

I'd love to be going. Unfortunately and stupidly, I never booked any tickets, and now they're ~ €675 with accommodation, unless I get a more than me going.
    Plus flights and travel from airport. Doesn't seem like hassle, but does seem pricey.

I haven't been able to find tickets to gig separately, to book a b&b or similar nearby.

I would be able to convince a mate to go, which may bring the price of the accommodation down, but still finding it hard to get tickets.

4 of us booked a Gold apartment working out at £233 / man. Not bad for good beds and festival ticket. Cheap flights into Bristol on top of that.
    I've seen someone post on their Facebook page asking about tix only as they have their digs sorted elsewhere, no reply though. There is a number on the Butlins big weekender you can ring to get quotes etc.. Give it a whirl. I'm sure they'd rather have you there than not!

4 of us booked a Gold apartment working out at £233 / man. Not bad for good beds and festival ticket. Cheap flights into Bristol on top of that.
    I've seen someone post on their Facebook page asking about tix only as they have their digs sorted elsewhere, no reply though. There is a number on the Butlins big weekender you can ring to get quotes etc.. Give it a whirl. I'm sure they'd rather have you there than not!

Yeah, will do that. I saw that offer with a silver apartment, but sold out :(

I just tried 4 people on butlins website using a discount code..
    Standard room is £670 for all 4! :)
    That's pretty good. Works out at ~ €230 each before flights using current exchange rates..

Silver Suite is £838.

This could be on.... I need mates :D

Are you flying to Bristol?

Yeah, will do that. I saw that offer with a silver apartment, but sold out :(

I just tried 4 people on butlins website using a discount code..
    Standard room is £670 for all 4! :)
    That's pretty good. Works out at ~ €230 each before flights using current exchange rates..

Silver Suite is £838.

This could be on.... I need mates :D

Are you flying to Bristol?

Yes, Belfast to Bristol. We have a lift arranged but there is a company called the big Green bus / coach company that are stopping by Bristol on the Friday en route to Shiiine. The times didn't suit us. Think it's around 12 midday, so keep that in mind if booking flights to Bristol :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not been to this festival but been to something very similar quite a few times, Hard Rock Hell, that's also held on a camping/holiday site.

It's so fcukin good having a caravan, take a load of food wit ya and cook a nice breakfast, head back for a bit of food/drink whenever ya want, no queuing for a shower every morning, just chill in the van when ya wake up, heating on full blast (as it's free).

You'll have a TV in there so maybe take a sound system of some sort

Took the trip over to rainy Somerset last weekend for Shiiine On. One of the great weekends. The lineup was superb. Highlights being Peter Hook, The Frank & Walters, Inspiral Carpets, Wedding Present and The Wonderstuff.

The venue itself was first class. The main stage was huge, centre stage was incredible and the other 3 were great. Lighting / sound all top notch. Plenty of places to eat, enough bars so there was never a queue. There was a couple of supermarkets on site with the prices no more expensive than out in the real world!

We stayed in a chalet with 2 rooms, a kitchen, bathroom and living room. Accommodation was really good with cleaners round everyday. Sure beats a manky tent!

But above all, the crowd really made the weekend. 6000+ revellers all of a decent vintage let off the leash , having the time of their lives. The atmosphere was electric and not even a sniff of trouble for the 3 nights.

Deposit paid for next year. Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for the report on the Weekend Jossy!

Sounds like it was a great weekend for all involved.

Thinking of going next year for the weekend, so you have any tips etc. in terms of getting there and which type of accommodation to stay in?

Also is it worth buying the dining package or just buy as you go?
    Thanks mate for any info...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

reni10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the report on the Weekend Jossy!

Sounds like it was a great weekend for all involved.

Thinking of going next year for the weekend, so you have any tips etc. in terms of getting there and which type of accommodation to stay in?

Also is it worth buying the dining package or just buy as you go?
    Thanks mate for any info...

like i said in an earlier post, i've been to quite a few of these festivals on caravan parks, we've never really eaten iin the restaurants on site, we just go to supermarket and buy our own stuff to cook.
    We even used to take a slow cooker, in the morning, throw a load of veg in, add stock (oxo), brown some chicken in a pan and leave it slow cook all day, great if your heading back to caravan around 6pm to freshen up and a LOT cheaper

We're gonna go with the same accommodation as this year, Gold Apartments. According to their Facebook page, the cheaper silver chalets and rooms are selling fast. They are very decent, but lack a little stretching out room. I had a look in the Lakeside chalets and they are superb. A few hundred / group more expensive and a longer walk (not overly long) to the venues.

No dinner plan for us. Stocked up on food / beers in the big Tesco across the road and ate out in the evening onsite. Jobs a goodin

Will be looking forward to hearing the line up for next year. Would love to see The Charlatans, Neds, Ride, Sultans, Shed 7 etc on the bill. Hooky again would be a treat. Teenage Fanclub would be my number 1 request, that would be something. James would an unreal addition, but I think they are way to pricey by all accounts

• Advertisement

First batch of bands announced for Shiiine On 2016:

Shed 7
    Bluetones
    Marion
    Bentley Rhythm Ace
    Space Onkeys
    S*M*A*S*H

Delighted with Shed 7 and Marion. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the lineup in due course

Whats the best airport to fly into for this? Is it Exeter or Bristol?

Probably wont have a car so would be looking at public transport so is it easy to get to from either of these airports?

Whats the best airport to fly into for this? Is it Exeter or Bristol?

Probably wont have a car so would be looking at public transport so is it easy to get to from either of these airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I've been to a few festivals in that butlins and always flew into Bristol and organised minibuses. I was never stuck filling the bus between mates going and other Irish on the same flight organised through fb and boards

Anyone going to this on the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I thought Pink Floyd would've been involved with this hence the name of the festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

I thought Pink Floyd would've been involved with this hence the name of the festival.
    The house of love are who its named after!!

Advertisement