Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dark lime in toilet bowl

• 19-10-2014 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone recommend what to use to remove a kind of dirty, dark
    lime off my toilet bowl?

It's below the water level. Some of it has chipped away and I can see
    the white of the bowl underneath.

I thought it was permanently spoiled, but it appears to come off over time.

I'd like to remove it completely, but don't know what to use, that won't damage
    the bowl or its finish.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tzsteve

Hi Barney,
    I had the same problem here as we are on a well and the water is very hard, I was cleaning the kettle with the oust lime remover sachets one day and I poured it into the toilet after the kettle was cleaned and left it for one hour then cleaned it with a toilet brush and it got it off,
    Ive also used domestos zero limescale(the one in the black and green bottle) to good effect but it needed to be left overnight to work.
    Best of luck with it.....
    steve

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

Sandpaper is great for cleaning the toilet and doesn't damage the enamel.....advice from How Clean is your House!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I tried the bottle of vinegar down the toilet routine, didn't do anything.

In the end I had a chat with a nice chap in a local hardware store and
    bought a bottle of HG bathroom limescale remover for €9.99.

I did three separate doses from the bottle and this has cleaned the
    limescale away completely.

I poured each portion down the bowl and left it for a few hours, flushed
    and repeated. It's worked lovely.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Milton will clean it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Notsocleandan

Hi all

Can anyone recommend what to use to remove a kind of dirty, dark
    lime off my toilet bowl?

It's below the water level. Some of it has chipped away and I can see
    the white of the bowl underneath.

I thought it was permanently spoiled, but it appears to come off over time.

I'd like to remove it completely, but don't know what to use, that won't damage
    the bowl or its finish.

Any ideas?

I found something called loo boss a few yrs ago and found it very good for this. I plunge most of the water from the bowl with the brush first then add the loo boss n leave overnite. Flush the following morn n work a bit with the brush n spotless. Unfortunately cant remember where i bought it and havent been able to find it since. One thing though its corrosive so i guess u need to be careful. Also tried using cheap cola from aldi, useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

There are loads of items available that do the job so it's basically whatever works for you.

I've used caustic soda, poured the whole container in & left overnight as long as possible followed by brushing/scraping. Use protective gloves.

After flushing I used harpic limescale remover (black bottle) to remove anything that was left over.

Edit: Some people use coca cola & I believe Jägermeister works also but it's an expensive way to clean your loo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

There are loads of items available that do the job so it's basically whatever works for you.

I've used caustic soda, poured the whole container in & left overnight as long as possible followed by brushing/scraping. Use protective gloves.

After flushing I used harpic limescale remover (black bottle) to remove anything that was left over.

Edit: Some people use coca cola & I believe Jägermeister works also but it's an expensive way to clean your loo!
    I don't know how caustic soda worked as you need an acid and not a base to attack the limescale.

Harpic limescale remover, used over night over the course of a few days will do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

I remember my father in law who was an old style plumber used to swear by a product called spirit of salts he reckoned there was no toilet it wouldn't clean and had no effect on the glaze finish on the toilet

Advertisement