Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 11 "beautiful" girls on The Saturday Night Show Last Night.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Why should they justify themselves to you?

If your going to start a nationwide campaign and go on telly, then yeah they do need to justify what they're doing.
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Lots of things aren't healthy. Their health is none of your business,

If their promoting it as "acceptable" then it is. While some people will be naturally larger than others, many of those larger people are still far larger than their genes would dictate. The average persons diet is atrocious, with sugar (not fat) being the main cause of weight gain. What's worse is that low-fat products are laced with sugar making them more fattening than ordinary meals sometimes. Education not normalisation is the key.

I've inherited the adult Acne gene (& will continue getting pimples into my 40s/50s judging by my mum/uncles) but it's really forced me to grow up and improve my diet rather than merely give in and say "oh it's my genes". I have a real sweet-tooth which makes matters even worse!!!

I have to try far harder than other adults to keep my skin relatively spot free and it's always on my mind when I eat/drink something. I feel very guilty and ashamed after I eat something greasy. It's not "fair" that my friends can drink coke/eat takeaway every week and not get spots but real life isn't fair.

I've suffered depression because of this and I would never go to the beach/pool because I felt so ashamed of my 'backne' and was very self-conscious in dressing rooms etc... While I've 'accepted' that I'll always have a few pimples even on a healthy diet I still feel very insecure about it deep down. But I do take my shirt off at the beach now, even if people don't want to see that!!:D

But I would never start an 'acne is beautiful' campaign. It's my responsibility to eat healthy according to my body type. Shame & guilt are our bodies tools to teach us and we need to learn to harness that into something productive, to motivate us not destroy us. I'm still learning but my body will thank me for it in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Was just about to say same, fat people are not attractive in my opinion. Clothing items look much better on a size 12/14 than on a 18/20. Sorry but that is just the way of it. The models may have pretty faces but if on a size 20 or bigger, it's not attractive. Also, no amount of telling me it's retaining water or over active thyroid matters, you are retaining chips crisps chocolate and bread and need to sit back from the table get out and do some exercise.
    For the record I am not a skinny malinky I am a at the moment working on going down a size by attending the gym. It's tough going but also rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

cloud493 wrote: »
    Being fat is not sexy or fun, its just horrible, as an ex fat person. I sweat constantly. I'm short of breath. Cant run fast. Stink a lot. I take up more than one seat on public transport. I'm just never very attractive, I hate your own body. Just some reasons why I'm so careful with my weight these days :P

FYP.

Honestly, speak for yourself.
    By BMI, I'm morbidly obese. But I've got no trouble cycling 13 miles a day, or swim 2 miles (swimming in summer, cycling in winter).
    I don't stink, there is a thing called a shower.
    I've never in my life taken up more than one seat on public transport, even Ryanair seats are not too small for me.

I am attractive to a lot of people.
    I absolutely LOVE my body.

You might want to be careful with generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

in the interest of fairness, i hope there is the same outcry for these girls for promotion of being overweight, as there is towards sized zero girls for being too slim - both are unhealthy and send out the wrong message.

fair play to them in one sense, if they are happy then good for them, what they are going is to be admired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Lyger wrote: »
    Other supermodels through the years have included Jerry Hall and Christie Brinkley - radiantly healthy looking women.

It depends on what is in vogue at the time. The 80s and early 90s was a very good time for really healthy looking models. But the 60s had the painfully thin mod look going on, don't forget. Now, since the mid 90s, the fashion has been for emaciated and it shows no signs of abating. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

The big is beautiful campaign and these women are shills for the junk food industry.
    Its easier to sell your addictive fattening crap when people will believe that being fat = sexy and thin = ugly.

This is just a shift in what makes the most money. The gold mine used to be dieting aids etc so the pressure was on to enforce the idea that thin was beautiful but that fell on its ass due to anorexia and increased consumer awareness surrounding health foods and diets. Also the continued development of addictive foods makes it easier to hook people.

Now beauty magazines have ads for galaxy chocolate instead of slimming pills.

And of course being overweight means you are more likely to sit on your ass after work and consume (internet shopping is a boon for the elite) and see ads all over the TV or internet.

Society loves addiction so long as you turn up for work.

Go on have another aero sure, your perfect anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

somefeen wrote: »
    The big is beautiful campaign and these women are shills for the junk food industry.
    Its easier to sell your addictive fattening crap when people will believe that being fat = sexy and thin = ugly.

This is just a shift in what makes the most money. The gold mine used to be dieting aids etc so the pressure was on to enforce the idea that thin was beautiful but that fell on its ass due to anorexia and increased consumer awareness surrounding health foods and diets. Also the continued development of addictive foods makes it easier to hook people.

And of course being overweight means you are more likely to sit on your ass after work and consume (internet shopping is a boon for the elite) and see ads all over the TV or internet.

Society loves addiction so long as you turn up for work.

Go on have another aero sure, your perfect anyway.
    I don't know if it's as simple as that - there's probably plenty to support an argument in the exact opposite direction.
    Never has running been so popular since it's 70s/80s heyday, there are still plenty of ads for slimming products, and there have never been so many health/diet/weight-loss magazines on the shelves.
    I don't think excess weight will ever have the selling power that slim has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Being fat is a genuinely disgusting way to live your life, I've been sitting sedentary studying for the last 10 hours and if I hadn't have went to the gym and eaten well all day I'd be depressed. There's nothing real about these women except for their real lack of self control. Pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Do you genuinely believe people put on weight on purpose to be sexy? :confused:

It's still very, veeeeeery much on dieting aids. Now more than ever, in fact. The dieting industry is one of the biggest in the world - bigger now than it ever was.

Rates of anorexia are the highest they've ever been as well.

Diets don't make people lose weight long-term as has been scientifically proven time and time again and that's exactly how they like it.

You haven't picked up a beauty mag in while, I'm guessing.

There's nothing real about these women except for their real lack of self control.
    Oh no they're real. They do exist! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its not junk food, its freedom food.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Do you genuinely believe people put on weight on purpose to be sexy? :confused:

No but they'll stop caring

It's still very, veeeeeery much on dieting aids. Now more than ever, in fact. The dieting industry is one of the biggest in the world - bigger now than it ever was.

The junk food industry is huge aswell and often the same thing

You haven't picked up a beauty mag in while, I'm guessing.

The ads are subliminal and cant conciously be viewed by sheeple

Honestly though I wasnt expecting my post to be taken seriously.

If I had signed it of with

SHEEPLE!! SHEEEEEEPLLLLLLLE!!

like i was going to, maybe it would have worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Diets don't make people lose weight long-term as has been scientifically proven time and time again and that's exactly how they like it.

No (well dependent on diet, some of the fad ones probably aren;t helpful)

Twenty-nine studies met the inclusion criteria. Successful very-low-energy diets (VLEDs) were associated with significantly greater weight-loss maintenance than were successful hypoenergetic balanced diets (HBDs) at all years of follow-up. The percentage of individuals at 4 or 5 y of follow-up for VLEDs and HBDs were 55.4% and 79.7%, respectively. The results for VLEDs and HBDs, respectively, were as follows: weight-loss maintenance, 7.1 kg (95% CI: 6.1, 8.1 kg) and 2.0 (1.5, 2.5) kg; percentage weight-loss maintenance, 29% (25%, 33%) and 17% (13%, 22%); and reduced weight, 6.6% (5.7%, 7.5%) and 2.1% (1.6%, 2.7%). Weight-loss maintenance did not differ significantly between women and men. Six studies reported that groups who exercised more had significantly greater weight-loss maintenance than did those who exercised less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Getting thin and healthy isn't hard. Fat people must like being fat. Each to their own but respect goes out the window with fat people in my eyes. Yes I am a ****, deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

No (well dependent on diet, some of the fad ones probably aren;t helpful)

I should've said "Fad diets"; the ones that involve pills etc. that are advertised in magazines and pushed on us by the industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I think everyone's beautiful. :)

Getting thin and healthy isn't hard.
    Not if a person is a bit chubby but if they're very overweight, of course it is! It's dishonest to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Getting thin and healthy isn't hard. Fat people must like being fat. Each to their own but respect goes out the window with fat people in my eyes. Yes I am a ****, deal with it.

Ohh no you di'int! *snaps fingers* :pac:

There's nothing real about these women except for their real lack of self control. Pathetic

I'd say their arms and legs are real. And their kidneys. And livers. And brains. And hearts. And big toes. And... etc. etc.

somefeen wrote: »
    No but they'll stop caring

The junk food industry is huge aswell and often the same thing

The ads are subliminal and cant conciously be viewed by sheeple

Honestly though I wasnt expecting my post to be taken seriously.

If I had signed it of with

SHEEPLE!! SHEEEEEEPLLLLLLLE!!

like i was going to, maybe it would have worked
    Just to clarify: are you saying your post that the junkfood industry is lulling people into becoming fat was not entirely serious?

• Advertisement

nc19 wrote: »
    Might kop a feel of the bottom right one but thats it.

the only thing they model for is cans of Pedigree Chum

Seriously, that kind of thing is uncalled for. Those women may not meet your standards for beauty (and I'm sure you're a flawless person yourself), but calling them dogs just makes you look another kind of ugly.
    Tarzana wrote: »
    It depends on what is in vogue at the time. The 80s and early 90s was a very good time for really healthy looking models. But the 60s had the painfully thin mod look going on, don't forget. Now, since the mid 90s, the fashion has been for emaciated and it shows no signs of abating. :(

In Milan they were using 14 year old girls, because they couldn't find women over 18 who were 'thin enough'. The Italians seem worse than the French or British/American houses for promoting emaciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Anyone I know who is overweight is constantly worried/annoyed about their weight and feel guilty after indulging so they don't need more grief from strangers.

But it shouldn't be encouraged or seen as acceptable because if it is their kids will likely become obese through no fault of their own. I was at a play recently and there were two obese mothers in front of me who were letting their overweight kids eat multiple packets of crisps and chocolate bars, what chance do those kids have?

Candie wrote: »
    Seriously, that kind of thing is uncalled for. Those women may not meet your standards for beauty (and I'm sure you're a flawless person yourself), but calling them dogs just makes you look another kind of ugly.
    But still, he would cop a feel of one of them - the lucky lady!

Oh noes, fat people don't get your respect! The person who is convinced he can turn lesbians! WHAT WILL THEY DO WITHOUT YOUR RESPECT?

:pac::pac::pac:

As to it not being hard. Just think about this: to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit that will bring you below the daily maintenance calories of even the slim. So for most of the time, you are losing weight, hunger will be a frequent feature. Grand, you say, nothing wrong with a bit of hunger. And you'd be right. But during most of that time you are losing weight, you will still be classed as overweight. Most of that time. Only toward the end will you become a healthy weight. So, it takes great mental strength to deal with the hunger in conjunction with the fact that society, sometimes not very subtly, judge you as lardy.

Huge weight loss is possible, but let's not pretend it is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Not a plus size male model in sight

Hmmmmm

The Calvin Klein model??? It is a sad day when Freddie Ljungberg is more well known for his underpants than for this :(

I do apologise.

Although in my defence, I have no interest in soccer but do have a passing interest in male underwear models. :)

Anyone I know who is overweight is constantly worried/annoyed about their weight and feel guilty after indulging so they don't need more grief from strangers.

But it shouldn't be encouraged or seen as acceptable because if it is their kids will likely become obese through no fault of their own. I was at a play recently and there were two obese mothers in front of me who were letting their overweight kids eat multiple packets of crisps and chocolate bars, what chance do those kids have?

I actually agree with you that 'fat acceptance' shouldn't be encouraged...

But (and it's a big one, no pun intended), I think you're not giving those children enough credit. Children aren't just influenced by their parents, they're influenced by what they see as aspirational in wider society as they grow up and develop, so there's every chance they may look at their parents and think "I'm determined never to end up like that!", and it happens more often than it doesn't, just like it can also happen in adulthood where a person's metabolism slows down if they don't regularly exercise, and the weight creeps up more slowly until one day they look in the mirror and they don't recognise the person looking back at them.

EDIT: In fact, just like the person in your first paragraph!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I actually agree with you that 'fat acceptance' shouldn't be encouraged...

But (and it's a big one, no pun intended), I think you're not giving those children enough credit. Children aren't just influenced by their parents, they're influenced by what they see as aspirational in wider society as they grow up and develop, so there's every chance they may look at their parents and think "I'm determined never to end up like that!", and it happens more often than it doesn't, just like it can also happen in adulthood where a person's metabolism slows down if they don't regularly exercise, and the weight creeps up more slowly until one day they look in the mirror and they don't recognise the person looking back at them.

EDIT: In fact, just like the person in your first paragraph!

I should have stated they were about seven or eight, their parents have a far bigger influence on them than society at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't find it attractive when someone is overweight, it says unhealthy and one should rather someone be healthy than accepting a weight problem as being ok.

We have to step around fat and while in Fawlty Towers it was 'don't mention the war', it is 'don't mention the fat' with overweight people because you are then 'body shaming' and you will likely upset them.

I don't think it helps when you have people promoting being overweight as being alright and acceptable, we shouldn't accept that people put themselves at higher risks of cancer, heart problems, diabetes and other health problems as something we should accept.

• Advertisement

I should have stated they were about seven or eight, their parents have a far bigger influence on them than society at that age.

I'd like to be able to say I agree with you, that's absolutely the way it should be, but unfortunately, experience tells me otherwise. It's not such a prevalent issue in Ireland just yet, but more and more prepubescent children are being fed a steady diet (metaphorically speaking) of images in the media and on social media of the sort of looks and body they should aspire to (the fat acceptance thing is a mere drop in the ocean in comparison), and it's an issue that isn't just affecting young girls, but also more and more young boys in the last few years, at a rate that quite frankly I for one found hard to fathom!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement